AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Paying for the S4 - did your Audi dealer take a personal check or certified ? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/paying-s4-did-your-audi-dealer-take-personal-check-certified-2811565/)

ayap 08-21-2011 06:23 AM

Paying for the S4 - did your Audi dealer take a personal check or certified ?

I'm putting a down payment of about $35,000 on the S4 and loaning around $18,000. Do Audi dealers take a personal check or do they require a certified check for more than $30K?

Have any of you also paid by $10K-$20K by credit card ? Just to earn the points in your card? And then immediately pay your credit card - is there a limit to how much the dealer will accept in credit card payments ?

troposphere 08-21-2011 06:35 AM

Originally Posted by ayap (Post 24186371)
I'm putting a down payment of about $35,000 on the S4 and loaning around $18,000. Do Audi dealers take a personal check or do they require a certified check for more than $30K?

Have any of you also paid by $10K-$20K by credit card ? Just to earn the points in your card? And then immediately pay your credit card - is there a limit to how much the dealer will accept in credit card payments ?

it all depends on your relationship with the dealer.

Most will require good funds (Bank Check, Wire transfer, etc.)before making the transfer.

With my last car, with a dealer that I had purchased 7 vehicles from over the years, personal check was no problem. I also made $3,000 - $5000 deposits on vehicles with them on AX.

Huey52 08-21-2011 06:39 AM

My dealership required bank/certified check as a standard policy, but some do accept personal checks based on history with the dealership. I went in a few days before delivery and outlined with them all that was required, hence on delivery day I was only there about 45 minutes and most of that was a 'controls and indicators' walkthru with my salesman.

I've also used credit and immediately paid off. As long as you have sufficient reserve available no problem.

BMiller270 08-21-2011 06:50 AM

My took a personal check.

Alex'S4 08-21-2011 07:27 AM

Mine required certified check, I have had others in the past take personal check. All depends on the relationship.

JD15 08-21-2011 07:29 AM

Mine took a personal check without any hassle.

Jonnyz1245 08-21-2011 07:41 AM

I paid cash(well, 75% cash and 25% HELOC) and the dealer preferred a cashiers check. They said they would take a personal check but would have to have a B/U contract and run my credit. I didn't want them to run my credit because I didn't want a ding on my report if I wasn't going to use their $. Took me many years to get in the 800's and saw no reason to ding credit over nothing. I went down to my local Wellsfargo branch the day before I bought the car and had them issue a cashiers check. Took about 3 minutes!

Goony 08-21-2011 08:02 AM

If you're financing the balance through the dealer, personal check should not be an issue since the title will have a lien on it. I purchased my car out of state and didn't have a problem for the reason noted.

I am sure that there is a limit as to how much the dealer will accept since they get dinged for a percentage of the credit card swipe.

skiracerblah 08-21-2011 08:06 AM

mine took a personal check, but made me sign the finance paperwork just in case the check bounces...

carguyrob 08-21-2011 08:11 AM

My Audi dealer took a personal check for the entire purchase without a hassle. They also mentioned the need to run a credit check which I refused since I wasn't financing any of it (also have FICO over 800 and didn't want it dinged with an inquiry). It wasn't much of a hassle.

I have paid for cars with a personal check at other dealers in the past and none of them ever had an issue.