S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Piano Black instrument panel surround: are reflections an issue?

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2012, 12:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Piano Black instrument panel surround: are reflections an issue?

Hey all,

Really excited by the photos of the Piano Black instrument panel surround on the 2013, but just noticed something in the YouTube vid showing the exhaust sound: reflections. Wondering if this is an issue or a concern for anyone (e.g., sunlight reflecting into your eyes when the sunroof is open, reflections distracting you when driving, etc.)?

Here's the vid: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ntzc2...eature=related
Old 05-27-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have the piano surround on my S4 Avant black edition and reflections are not an issue, the trim does attract dust and finger marks, though - easilly sorted with a quick microfibre cloth dusting. Looks great as well!
Attached Images   
Old 05-28-2012, 02:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Longdog
I have the piano surround on my S4 Avant black edition and reflections are not an issue, the trim does attract dust and finger marks, though - easilly sorted with a quick microfibre cloth dusting. Looks great as well!
Thanks again Longdog...figured I might get a response from your shores. Having difficulty finding others who have experienced or have even seen the black surround in person yet. The first 2013s now arriving in the U.S. all seem to be outfitted with the Carbon Atlas and standard surround. I suspect the forums will be more active on this question once a couple of Stainless Steel Mesh cars arrive -- hopefully soon, as Carbon is so popular here that it's practically "standard". We don't have the option of a Black Edition, or even a Titanium Package, for 2013 (believe me, I tried to order one!). Will be interesting to see if some of the "carbon faithful" have a change of heart about Stainless Steel Mesh once they see the full package.

Glad you are enjoying it and loving the look! Also glad to hear that reflections aren't an issue. Is it that you can't see such reflections from the driving position, or that you do see them, but don't find them distracting or bothersome?

PS: I'll have my microfiber's ready to go! Wondering if something like the Einszett Cockpit might help you keep yours clean?:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/1Z-ei...mium_p_70.html

Also, Sonax makes a dashboard cleaner that prevents electrostatic charges, creating a dust repellent surface:
http://www.detailersdomain.com/Sonax...-ml_p_334.html

I will ask my detailer about the Einszett vs. Sonax for the piano black, but both products were highly recommended in general (and I've used both with great results).
Old 05-28-2012, 07:41 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Its not too difficult to have the trim painted. I went for satin black since I felt it matched the other black pieces in the car better. Also wondered about glare. So regardless of what Audi gives you for standard trim, you can paint it or swap it for the OEM piano trim. IMHO, the silver looks cheap and doesn't coordinate with the CF trim.
Old 05-28-2012, 07:49 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Its not too difficult to have the trim painted. I went for satin black since I felt it matched the other black pieces in the car better. Also wondered about glare. So regardless of what Audi gives you for standard trim, you can paint it or swap it for the OEM piano trim. IMHO, the silver looks cheap and doesn't coordinate with the CF trim.
Agree about the silver. Don't want to paint/modify the car, as I lease. So the trade off is, get the carbon with the cheap looking silver, or go with the stainless mesh with the (possibly glare-inducing) piano black. What would you do?
Old 05-28-2012, 09:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

the last time my car was in {brake tsb} i had a loaner with the piano black inserts ,reflectons were definitely an issue for me very distracting and it wasn't even in bright sunlight.
Old 05-28-2012, 11:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by blackphantom
the last time my car was in {brake tsb} i had a loaner with the piano black inserts ,reflectons were definitely an issue for me very distracting and it wasn't even in bright sunlight.
This was an S4 loaner? Hmm...very disconcerting. Not sure what to do. I wish someone here had one to check out in person. Wondering if I should change my order to Carbon?

Just saw a 2013 S4 and S5...and both had Carbon. Looks good...definitely a lot of different materials and textures inside the car. The SS Mesh + Piano is nice on paper, and simpler in a good way, but not at the expense of safety and driver comfort.
Old 05-28-2012, 12:37 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
This was an S4 loaner? Hmm...very disconcerting. Not sure what to do. I wish someone here had one to check out in person. Wondering if I should change my order to Carbon?

Just saw a 2013 S4 and S5...and both had Carbon. Looks good...definitely a lot of different materials and textures inside the car. The SS Mesh + Piano is nice on paper, and simpler in a good way, but not at the expense of safety and driver comfort.
it was an a4 loaner, the passenger side dash and door trim was the worst you could see the reflections of the trees above through the top of the windscreen and of course they are moving images they would catch my eye every time i glanced at the passenger door mirror . if you look at a piano black television you can see reflections in the frame that would give you an idea of what its like
Old 05-28-2012, 01:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

it was an a4 loaner, the passenger side dash and door trim was the worst you could see the reflections of the trees above through the top of the windscreen and of course they are moving images they would catch my eye every time i glanced at the passenger door mirror . if you look at a piano black television you can see reflections in the frame that would give you an idea of what its like
Wow, doesn't sound too cool. And I had no idea that you could even spec an A4 with a PB gauge surround in the UK. Thanks again for the feedback. Thinking of calling the dealer in the morning to switch. Kinda sad...seems so nice in the pics. Wondering if others on your side of the pond feel the same? Or if dealers have consistent feedback from customers?

Guessing RS4/5 drivers have to live with that?

Last edited by Smith837; 05-28-2012 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-28-2012, 02:37 PM
AudiWorld Member

BTW, in the U.S. we don't get a Black Edition, so on the passenger side, the trim would be the stainless steel mesh inserts (obviously, no reflection there). And I have the carbon fiber there on my current car, which is glossy, though not quite like piano, but no issues. I'm mostly concerned with what'll be in front of me around the gauges and nav screen. To clarify, was the instrument panel surround an issue for you too? Longdog didn't seem to have issues with reflections on his Black Edition S4 Avant.

Last edited by Smith837; 05-28-2012 at 02:45 PM.

Quick Reply: Piano Black instrument panel surround: are reflections an issue?