S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Piano Black instrument panel surround: are reflections an issue?

Old 05-28-2012, 03:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Smith837
BTW, in the U.S. we don't get a Black Edition, so on the passenger side, the trim would be the stainless steel mesh inserts (obviously, no reflection there). And I have the carbon fiber there on my current car, which is glossy, though not quite like piano, but no issues. I'm mostly concerned with what'll be in front of me around the gauges and nav screen. To clarify, was the instrument panel surround an issue for you too? Longdog didn't seem to have issues with reflections on his Black Edition S4 Avant.
Like I said didn't notice any reflections but the weather was dull, however it's been glorious sunshine at home since I've been away and my wife hasn't mentioned it. I'm home next week and if it's sunny I'll report back!

At the end of the day whatever you get, you'll love it. The steel trim is nice but i think that the black surround is far nicer than the silver.
Old 05-29-2012, 02:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Longdog
Like I said didn't notice any reflections but the weather was dull, however it's been glorious sunshine at home since I've been away and my wife hasn't mentioned it. I'm home next week and if it's sunny I'll report back!

At the end of the day whatever you get, you'll love it. The steel trim is nice but i think that the black surround is far nicer than the silver.
Thanks again Longdog -- would certainly appreciate any sunny day thoughts. I realize I'm sweating this decision -- probably a bit too much -- but in the absence of being able to sit in the car and see for myself in person, it's hard to know whether I'll feel as you do (love it) or as blackphantom did (distracted by it).

blackphantom, if your comments about distracting reflections were limited to the piano trim over the glove box and on the passenger side door, and NOT the instrument panel surround, please let me know, as this might influence my final decision.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by Smith837
Thanks again Longdog -- would certainly appreciate any sunny day thoughts. I realize I'm sweating this decision -- probably a bit too much -- but in the absence of being able to sit in the car and see for myself in person, it's hard to know whether I'll feel as you do (love it) or as blackphantom did (distracted by it).

blackphantom, if your comments about distracting reflections were limited to the piano trim over the glove box and on the passenger side door, and NOT the instrument panel surround, please let me know, as this might influence my final decision.
just checked on audi uk website car builder and used car stock the A4 black edition has silver surround on the instrument cluster so would not have any reflections this used car photos show you the glare on the piano black trim http://www.vehicleimagezoom.r66.co.u...i&Id=602326672
Old 05-29-2012, 03:53 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this is the new car configuration link http://configurator.audi.co.uk/contr...andant=accx-uk
Old 05-29-2012, 04:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by blackphantom
just checked on audi uk website car builder and used car stock the A4 black edition has silver surround on the instrument cluster so would not have any reflections this used car photos show you the glare on the piano black trim http://www.vehicleimagezoom.r66.co.u...i&Id=602326672
Thanks blackphantom! To clarify my situation, in the U.S., all S4's come with the silver surround. The piano black surround is new for 2013 and only comes on the car if one gets the Stainless Steel Mesh inlays option ($750 USD). With that option, the center console and instrument panel surround are changed to piano black, with the stainless steel mesh appearing above the glove box and on the passenger doors. When I initially saw pics of the facelift with the piano black surround (below), it looked fantastic and so much better than the silver one IMHO, that I changed my order to include the SS mesh/piano option. All this being said, your mention of distractions gives me pause. I'm not concerned about reflections over the glove box or on the passenger door, since U.S. cars will not have piano in those spots. My only concern is for glare or distracting reflections in the surround for the gauges and MMI screen. For you, when driving, were there bothersome reflections in that surround as well? Did your loaner have the piano surround?

Name:  27-2013-audi-s4.jpg
Views: 1300
Size:  57.5 KB

Name:  28-2013-audi-s4.jpg
Views: 718
Size:  37.5 KB

Last edited by Smith837; 05-29-2012 at 04:34 AM.
Old 05-29-2012, 10:17 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

No the loaner had the silver surround.i think the instrument cluster surround will be protected from above by the overhang of top of the dashboard which in my opinion will reduce the chance of reflections. The only way you are going know 100% is to see one in the flesh.You are a bit like me everything has got to be perfect good luck and I'm sure whatever you choose you will enjoy.