S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

The plot thickens - B8 RS4 Avant Mule spotted

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2011, 08:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Motor Authority has shots of it and the article is over on Fortitude:

http://forums.fourtitude.com/entry.p...for-First-Time

http://www.motorauthority.com/blog/1...rs4-avant-mule

How much do you think this car will cost USD? The RS5 is est at 70k-$75,000 starting.
Old 03-31-2011, 08:50 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

All speculation that A) this is an RS4 mule, and B) if it is that it will come to the US.

However, I would expect it to fall in around the same price, possibly a tad lower than the RS5. This is a wagon, which typically sells poorly in the US, and they want an attractive price point to move them. I'd say starting at 67-68K, and 75 well appointed with everything you could order.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:56 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

All speculation that A) this is an RS4 mule, and B) if it is that it will come to the US.

However, I would expect it to fall in around the same price, possibly a tad lower than the RS5. This is a wagon, which typically sells poorly in the US, and they want an attractive price point to move them. I'd say starting at 67-68K, and 75 well appointed with everything you could order.
Part of me wants this car really bad.... part of me hopes it doesn't come here so I can save some $$.
Old 03-31-2011, 10:23 AM
AudiWorld Member

I say she'll base at $70k and cost $80k well equipped, and $85k loaded. (I'm talking MSRP here)

I'll be totally shocked if the RS4 arrives stateside, in either sedan or avant form. Just no demand.. Audi might sell 300/year, which is totally not worth all the extra hassle - at least in my opinion.
Old 03-31-2011, 03:16 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
I say she'll base at $70k and cost $80k well equipped, and $85k loaded. (I'm talking MSRP here)

I'll be totally shocked if the RS4 arrives stateside, in either sedan or avant form. Just no demand.. Audi might sell 300/year, which is totally not worth all the extra hassle - at least in my opinion.
I'd be shocked if the RS4 avant costs more than the RS5. Look at the price difference between the A4 and A5, the S4 and S5. Do the "5" bodies cost more to produce? No, likely less, they are shorter overall and smaller inside. But they demand a higher cost due to how pretty they are and Audi can afford to charge more and still not keep up with demand so they do.
Old 03-31-2011, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

I don't think the RS4, RS5, or RS6 will come to the states. Keep in mind that German's are paying significantly more for these models than US buyers.. My S4 lists at 65K EUR, or ~$85K USD. Given the weaker dollar, it wouldn't surprise me to see some price increases coming this Fall across the line.
Old 04-01-2011, 01:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by B8Lover
What's the size of those wheels! Looks like the titanium package but in 20's! Where can I get those??
Actually, in the Configurator for Germany those wheels are an option on the RS5 (20x9 wheel with 275/30-20 tire)
Old 04-01-2011, 03:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'd be shocked if the RS4 avant costs more than the RS5. Look at the price difference between the A4 and A5, the S4 and S5. Do the "5" bodies cost more to produce? No, likely less, they are shorter overall and smaller inside. But they demand a higher cost due to how pretty they are and Audi can afford to charge more and still not keep up with demand so they do.
A well equipped RS5 is ~90K EUR when built on the audi.de website. Would not surprise me at all to see a typically equipped RS5 sell for $90K, which would probably make the RS4 somewhere between 80-85.. I paid $58K for my car and it MSRP'd for just over $62K. I think a 70K base for the RS4 is very possible. I've got $10K+ in options on my S4, so I'm sure it will be no problem on the RS4 as well.

I still don't think any of the RS line will come to the states, except the TTRS and maybe the RS3. I almost never see RS models on the street here in Germany; even the "S" models are pretty rare. Maybe 1 in 40-50 B8's is an "S", and even that might be a stretch.. RS5's are probably 1 in 100. I've seen ONE on the street since the New Year. My dealer has a couple of RS5's and a couple of S4 avants, which is what I wish I had too!

Last edited by xxShadowxx; 04-01-2011 at 03:07 AM.
Old 04-01-2011, 03:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
I don't think the RS4, RS5, or RS6 will come to the states. Keep in mind that German's are paying significantly more for these models than US buyers.. My S4 lists at 65K EUR, or ~$85K USD. Given the weaker dollar, it wouldn't surprise me to see some price increases coming this Fall across the line.
Dude, the RS5 will be here in August, where have you been? The TTRS is close behind it too.

http://blog.caranddriver.com/audi-rs...2-u-s-arrival/

http://blog.caranddriver.com/audi-rs...2-u-s-arrival/
Old 04-01-2011, 04:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

I think if Quattro GmbH continues to use that 4.2 V8, its cars will continue to fall below the competitive mark. This engine throws our platform too off balance, and doesn't produce enough (as in the RS5) to justify such a sacrifice. They would be better off "improving" the 3.0T with a variety of techniques and they could easily yield in the mid 400s for an RS series car. Pretty much every reviewer of the RS5 said they would pick an M3 over it (and the M3 costs 20-30K less). That's stupid on Quattro GmbH's part. Make a winner or make nothing IMO. This looks like another loser too. (not the Avant part, just the part bin reuse thing)

Quick Reply: The plot thickens - B8 RS4 Avant Mule spotted