S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

PNW B8 S4 Exhaust Fest 2010

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2010, 08:52 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome videos and exhausts. I wasn't a fan of the whine either as that kind of drowned out the exhaust notes.
Old 07-18-2010, 10:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
FYI, Miltek also makes a resonated version which wasn't included in the test. I would expect that to be quieter. Not really sure why anyone would buy the Stasis. It sounds almost like the stock exhaust. I also did not like hearing the whine of the supercharger. Too bad AWE wasn't represented, but otherwiswe a GREAT JOB!
yeah every time I hear them ( not in person) I hear it differently but its the same set up. I also am not a fan of the SC whine, more of a turbo man myself. seems like it would draw to much attention. to each their own.

I really gotta hear them in person because the videos are C*** teases,I want more!! We gotta get a meet going in Tri-state.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm in Philly, have awe and would be willing to meet up so people could get a listen.
Old 07-18-2010, 02:56 PM
AudiWorld Member

Great shootout. I really liked the format.
Neal, thanks for taking me out for a ride last weekend. As slick as that DSG is, it really helped me feel comfortable with my decision to go with the 6MT. Too bad I wasn't a week later, could have taken in the shootout in person! Now I play the waiting game....Oct 31 due date. I guess I should not have sold the RS4 so soon!

Exhaust commentary: I have (had) the Milltek res on the RS4. Around town, no issue whatsoever, great sound, not too "5.0L Mustang" like. On the highway, definite drone. Different cars of course but I am leaning towards the APR given a more exotic sound to my ear and APR's no drone claim which you have backed up.

Last edited by JonRS4; 07-18-2010 at 03:00 PM.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BdAsS4
Thanks for making the vids and posting them. That SC whine sounds awesome outside, what are the effects on interior sound when driving? Now I don't have to ask one of those "How does this exhaust sound?" questions. I like the Milltek...
Due to the insulation in the car (very quiet ride anyway) the SC whine is not even present under normal driving, it is only apparent over about 3500 RPM and is load dependent - light throttle just waiting later to shift and it's not very loud, it only comes alive under hard accel, and post 3500 RPM's.

I don't like loud, ricer, look at me type stuff, so this works. When I want to get on it, I can hear it, otherwise not there.
Old 07-18-2010, 07:53 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Good call on the 6MT, go with what YOU want Sorry you were down a week early, I think you would have loved this shootout!
Old 07-18-2010, 11:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The SC whine is not nearly as loud as the exhaust in the cabin... at least on my car. Outside of the car, yeah, all you hear coming is the SC screaming... but that's because the exhaust is pointing out the back.. overall I think together it's a pretty cool combination. Obviously it sounds different in person than even the best camera/mic can capture, but it's still a personal choice.

The best part... you can always go back to stock. I'm still messing with my car and there are things I'm going to continue to change. Nothing is set in stone.... all these clips were simply made to help others out there make a choice. At the end of the day, we're all just having a good time.
Old 07-19-2010, 05:43 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by DrVolkl

The best part... you can always go back to stock. I'm still messing with my car and there are things I'm going to continue to change. Nothing is set in stone.... all these clips were simply made to help others out there make a choice. At the end of the day, we're all just having a good time.
Even if you did show with a full tank....again!
Old 07-19-2010, 06:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Good call Sak, feel free to make a poll

As for res, I know APR (mine) is, and they have 2.5" all the way back. Most if not all of these are catback only. This exhaust as headers, then cats, then downpipes, then central area with a crossover/X-pipe, then some have additional resonators (APR has the long cylindrical ones here), then center muffler, then rear split mufflers.
that's good to hear. The B6/7 exhausts/downpipes were a disaster. It's now 7 years since the launch of the platform and we're finally getting good performance out of the aftermarket.

p.s. I'd add a poll, but its not my thread. Only the OP (or a mod) can do that.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:09 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by sakimano
that's good to hear. The B6/7 exhausts/downpipes were a disaster. It's now 7 years since the launch of the platform and we're finally getting good performance out of the aftermarket.

p.s. I'd add a poll, but its not my thread. Only the OP (or a mod) can do that.
I meant a new post that is just a poll

As for the downpipes, they are not the proble, here, it's our Cats - they are not only restricive anyway at stock, they have a wicked sharp bend in them to accomodate the steering linkage.

Since the car has 2 less cylinders and a smaller, engine, it was pushed back farther to the rear to make it a more balanced car. This adversely impacted the path the exhaust has to take though.

Quick Reply: PNW B8 S4 Exhaust Fest 2010