S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Rattling noise only when car moves - front left area

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2019, 11:33 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rattling noise only when car moves - front left area

Dear all, I’m hoping someone may know what this issue most likely is. I searched on the forums but couldn’t find another post with the exact same description of rattling as my situation:

This rattling sound on my 2011 Audi S4 suddenly started as I was turning on an on-ramp to the freeway. It sounds like it’s coming from the front left area of the car. The rattling is slow as the car is slow, and the sound gets louder and it rattles faster as the car moves faster.

Here’s a YouTube video I uploaded with three clips showing the issue:

Also, I’m not sure if this is is a coincidence or not, but recently (before this issue), my car has been making a squeaking sound near the front left area of the car whenever I would go over a bump, which I thought was the shocks bouncing up and down but my technician said is due to a crack in my control arm’s bushings. On this particular drive, I noticed that squeak sound was happening more often with even very gentle indentations in the road, and then when turning onto the on-ramp, suddenly this rattling sound started.

The new rattling sound happens only when the car is moving, not when idle or parked. If I park the car and push the accelerator to increase the engine RPM while at a stand still, I do not hear any rattling.

My technician says it’s probably a transmission issue and that I should get an Audi Service Center to double check, but that it may be very expensive (e.g. transmission bearings, or replace transmission). But I’m having a hard time believing that it could spontaneously be something so serious, especially when it sounds like it’s coming from nearly the same area where I would previously hear that squeak/shock-like sound leading up to the moment of the rattling sound.

Any help or recommendations would be greatly apppreciated...

Thank you!

Last edited by Coolarj10; 02-09-2019 at 11:34 AM. Reason: Fixed YouTube link