S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Reasonable mods

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2017, 06:16 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Reasonable mods

Hi all,

Just got a mint 2016 S4 with 5K miles. Owned a couple S4's before this one and my B5 had a good amount of modifications. I'm not as familiar with the B8 mods available and I'd be interested in hearing what people think the best bang for the buck is for performance enhancing mods. Would be looking for power, but not willing to sacrifice reliability. Also, is it true that even a cold air intake would void my warranty?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, I'd say I have a budget at this point of $5K.
Old 03-31-2017, 07:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tony boons33
Hi all,

Just got a mint 2016 S4 with 5K miles. Owned a couple S4's before this one and my B5 had a good amount of modifications. I'm not as familiar with the B8 mods available and I'd be interested in hearing what people think the best bang for the buck is for performance enhancing mods. Would be looking for power, but not willing to sacrifice reliability. Also, is it true that even a cold air intake would void my warranty?

Any recommendations would be appreciated, I'd say I have a budget at this point of $5K.
The power options for our cars comes down to a couple of choices:

1. Plug and play Chipwerke module - Inexpensive, and can be removed prior to service. Downside may be driveability issues for some owners.

2. ECU and TCU flashing - Better power delivery but more more expensive. Can be removed prior service, but still has a greater possibility of dealer discovering and threatening to void warranty.

3. ECU/TCU tune and Dual Pulley set-up - More power, same downside as tune.

Your dealer may or may not be "mod friendly", but you should always assume not, and that there is a possibility you will get flagged "TD1" and could have warranty work denied. Its pay to play for performance.
Old 03-31-2017, 08:17 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

If you want to do an ECU tune, be aware there are no mod friendly dealers. When the car is connected to the computer at the dealer, a program in the computer will seek out any changes made to the ECU. If a tune is found, it will automatically notify AOA. They will immediately designate your car TD1 and void your warranty. There is no way that anyone in the dealership can circumvent this, regardless if they are mod friendly or not. Some will have their ECU flashed back to stock before going in for service. Ot a Chipwerke can be unplugged before serviced. An Intake will usually be overlooked, UNLESS you develope some issue that the mod unfriendly dealer can remotely attribute to your issue/ Many have added a suspension mod called Al Kreuz. BTW you may want to check out Audizine. A lot more modders on that site.
Old 04-02-2017, 07:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

I just have my 2016 in the dealer for some warranty work and they said nothing about my cold air.
Old 04-02-2017, 08:04 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Lopez04
I just have my 2016 in the dealer for some warranty work and they said nothing about my cold air.
And they won't as long as you don't have an issue with the engine. Then they MAY deny your warranty because of it. Depends on the issue and the dealer
Old 04-02-2017, 06:51 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Awesome, many thanks guys! For the ECU I'll likely wait until the warranty is up before going that route. Any preference on intake? Previously on my S4's I've liked APR and AWE components. Wondering if one has been proven better than the other or there are any other better options:

AWE Tuning Audi 3.0T S-FLO Intake System | AWE Tuning

https://www.goapr.com/products/intak...io_30tfsi.html
Old 04-03-2017, 10:55 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by tony boons33
Awesome, many thanks guys! For the ECU I'll likely wait until the warranty is up before going that route. Any preference on intake? Previously on my S4's I've liked APR and AWE components. Wondering if one has been proven better than the other or there are any other better options:

AWE Tuning Audi 3.0T S-FLO Intake System | AWE Tuning

https://www.goapr.com/products/intak...io_30tfsi.html
The stock intake has been shown to flow pretty well.
Old 04-03-2017, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

but it doesn't look cool haha