S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Remus Exhaust System Review

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 05:17 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Remus Exhaust System Review

It's Alive!!!

Short Version: Installed the New Remus Sports Label Exhaust System on my 2010 S4 and love the deep rumble.

Long Version: I can really appreciate the Audi engineering team's talent in developing such a reserved exhaust system. I just found that running stock my car was a bit too quiet. It's not like I have a ton of money burning a hole in my pocket, but I did feel like an exhaust upgrade would give my car a more unique presence and at the very least help me remember that I had already started the engine... I keed, I keed!

I've always been a fan of Remus products dating back through my years with my BMW M3's and so I reached out them about my new S4. It just so happened they were already working on a solution and I was able to buy the following:

http://www.remususa.com/epages/remus...230491080556LR

I then got connected with the local Remus distributor Vivid Racing (http://www.vividracing.com) for the install so all I needed to do now was wait.

Well, waiting is boring, so I thought I would design some before and after tests. I broke out the video camera and started shooting. I captured some cold start idling and some driving sessions in a parking garage. I even taught myself some video editing and learned how to overlay a spectrum analysis of the exhaust sounds on the video itself. Guess that's what happens when a computer geek is also a car geek. And yes, I have my very own authentic vag-com cable, but that thing scares me a little bit so I'll leave that story for another time.

A couple days later and my package arrived. I was very impressed by the fit and finish of the new system. Obviously high-quality materials, but also great styling queues on the tips especially with the way Remus uses black powder coating as a contrast to really set them off. I took plenty of pictures and measurements and I'll get those up soon.

The day of the install came so I headed over to Vivid. I met up with Jeff and he got my car up on the lift. The guys at Vivid are great and they made quick work of mounting up my new Remus system. Of course, while waiting I had to check out all the other exotic European cars and parts. Jeff was with a local Audi dealer for over 15 years before joining Vivid and he even showed me his current ride, a sharp A3, so I felt good trusting these guys with my install.

Now, finally, for some sound. Well, wouldn't you know it, it was raining and pouring and my first drive was boring. Anyway, a few hundred miles later and the system is sweet. Very deep rumble at idle. Just about perfect and more than I could expect out of our V6's. That rumble stays with you until it turns into a growl when you get on it. I really tried my best to capture the sounds, so just make sure you've got a good speaker system and that you have a really large subwoofer that's turned up past 11. The frequencies of this new system stretch down all the way below 20 Hz and that's what really makes the Remus exhaust something you can feel.

What I like most about my system is that I can actually hear the throttle blip on downshift now. Putting my car in Dynamic and driving around town is wonderful. I almost love red lights now because of the wonderful exhaust notes as the S tronic kicks down from 4 to 3 to 2 then 1. I must look like a fool smiling every time I hit the brakes knowing that I'll get to hear my car drive itself better than me. I really think Audi missed a great selling feature because I could never notice that graceful rev matching before my Remus install.

Just thinking about it right now made me go out and do some more filming from inside the car... Okay, one more vid up on youtube for your enjoyment. You can find them all on this channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/RemuS4B8

I can't thank Duffy and the gang over at MaxMOTO (http://www.maxmoto.com) enough for importing these systems for us. The only problem now is my car won't be that unique after everyone else hears how good Remus makes it sound.
Old 03-28-2011, 05:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Quick question, do you notice any drone at certain RPM's??? Also, did they do any dyno runs? Curious about HP improvement if any. Thanks!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Nice, would love to see more detailed pics of this exhaust. The Price looks right though!
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

wow.. sounds awesome...

can you please post some detailed vids?

any droning issues?
Old 03-28-2011, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I'm worried about drone. These are axle back systems only I believe. Maxmoto is great to deal with (at least in the experience I've had exchanging PMs). I hear these are the same on the S5 and I ran across some mention of drone so I held off from getting them (that and I wanted full cat backs). At the time, I could only find one video of it on youtube (on the S5) and it does sound nice and deep (but a bit burbly for my taste). Fit and finish looks top notch (at least from the low res pics that I've seen thus far).

Can you take some videos of it kinda like how it was idling but rev it up a little and let it drop back to idle? Also some non-carpark drive bys and highway driving (gradually increasing the throttle gas) or gradual acceleration driving uphill to hear if there is any drone?
Old 03-31-2011, 04:29 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks for all the questions and comments. I've been travelling this week, but I'll do my best to update everyone over the weekend.
Old 04-01-2011, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Member

This sounds great and is at a great price point. When you get a second to address the drone questions that would be great.

Thanks!
Old 04-01-2011, 03:08 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

No drone, but there is definitely a nice deep tone.

Try to listen to the cold start fast idle videos with good speakers and that should provide a sense for the sound profile below 2,000 RPM. That same lovely rumble also comes through some on the rev matching videos between the 1,200 to 1,800 RPM range.

I'm working on the pictures now and should have those up later today.

I'll try to get some more videos up this weekend.

Hope this helps.
Old 04-02-2011, 01:52 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Pictures are up here:

http://imgur.com/a/62gGE
Old 04-04-2011, 04:40 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

One new video showing some driving sequences from inside the cabin now up on youtube. Still working to get some outside footage during hard acceleration.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iQ-D5Tcl6sk

This should bring up all 18 videos I've uploaded to youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=RemuS4B8

Quick Reply: Remus Exhaust System Review