S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

S Tronic Under Full Throttle

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2011, 08:13 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Gear Junky
Can you still upshift when ever you like below 6500rpm when under full throttle?

As far as I am aware this isn't possible.
I didn't try that, but will tomorrow.
Old 01-23-2011, 10:07 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by xxShadowxx
I didn't try that, but will tomorrow.
My understanding of the software in the S4 is that when you floor the throttle fully it behaves more like in auto mode, meaning it will automatically downshift to the ideal gear for maximum acceleration, regardless of the gear you are in and will hold this gear until the redline and won't allow an upright until your revs are approaching the redline.

That sounds logical to me and I can't understand why anyone would wish to upshift before the redline when you are under maximum attack acceleration mode anyway.
Old 01-24-2011, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Well sometimes you can be faster by shifting before the redline because the peak horsepower is reached well before the redline. I think in manual mode the S-tronic should not permit downshifts if it will over-rev the engine but it shouldn't force upshift at the redline neither. It should focus on protecting the engine from self-destruction but permit everything else. That was the reason I ordered the S-tronic...to be able to shift manually without worrying about blowing up the engine or missing a shift since I am not a good manual driver and I live in one of the highest traffic area in the country.
Old 01-24-2011, 12:35 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Muray
Well sometimes you can be faster by shifting before the redline because the peak horsepower is reached well before the redline.
Not on my car
Old 01-24-2011, 12:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Muray
Well sometimes you can be faster by shifting before the redline because the peak horsepower is reached well before the redline. I think in manual mode the S-tronic should not permit downshifts if it will over-rev the engine but it shouldn't force upshift at the redline neither. It should focus on protecting the engine from self-destruction but permit everything else. That was the reason I ordered the S-tronic...to be able to shift manually without worrying about blowing up the engine or missing a shift since I am not a good manual driver and I live in one of the highest traffic area in the country.
Having looked at a few dyno charts for this engine it appears that it does produce peak power at maximum revs which might explain why the gearbox software overrides the shifting point when you give the car full throttle.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Member

On my 2011, I tried playing with the throttle button/traction control button on WOT, but tranny still shifts itself at redline in manual mode. No bouncing off rev limiter for me.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:51 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

peak hp doesn't determine the best shift point to the next gear. You can be on the downward slide of the power slope and still have more power at a certain speed than the next gear would provide.

When power available from the next gear up provides more power, at a certain speed, than the gear you are in , then shift...

Edit- woops, this was menat to be a reply to Muray's comment, not yours Neal....

Last edited by IAS5; 01-24-2011 at 02:11 PM.
Old 01-24-2011, 02:18 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by IAS5
When power available from the next gear up provides more power, at a certain speed, than the gear you are in , then shift...
Is that right - is it power? I'm thinking it should be the engine torque*gear ratio product. You could be producing less HP, but still have a higher net acceleration, right?
Old 01-24-2011, 04:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Torque on ground is what matters. In stock form, the graph of torque for gear n crosses the graph of torque for gear n+1 before redline, meaning you do get better acceleration by short-shifting a little. With an APR tune, you're better off riding it out.
Old 07-26-2014, 07:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Hi, did this ever get resolved? I have this exact issue where it will not upshift under WOT. You can flip the paddle at 3.5k, 4k, 5k but it will not execute the change until 6K. VERY frustrating. Have driven others and they change up and down on demand. Audi have already replaced the whole trans but problem persists.