AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   s4 makes the list fastest car under $50K (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/s4-makes-list-fastest-car-under-%2450k-2890167/)

jyges 10-08-2015 09:35 AM

s4 makes the list fastest car under $50K

https://www.yahoo.com/autos/the-13-f...10754229.html/ mine cost more than 50K.

DrGP 10-08-2015 10:18 AM

Yes, but a lightly equipped model can be had for under $50K. Or a loaded one for over $60k

PhilNotHill 10-09-2015 08:47 AM

Our 2014 cost a little over 50k. Prestige with sports diff and adaptive suspension. Should be easy to get one under $50k.

markN1689 10-11-2015 04:22 PM

a LOADED s3 is 50k. and its faster than the s4 off the line if i recall correctly (4.4 vs 4.7) 0-60mph

westwest888 10-13-2015 06:03 AM

This is why I bought mine in 2010 for $52k MSRP, which came out to under $50k with discounts. I mostly skipped nav which looks smart now, as nav from 2010 is not impressing anyone in 2015. It also kept the center arm rest more minimalist so I could focus on the manual instead of taking my hand off the stick to play with buttons.

@markN1689 the S3 is a worse car in every way than the B8, except the 0-30 off the line is pretty buttery. After that it's all downhill. It's a lower quality car too. They're really stretching that engine which limits the tuning potential. I'm not saying you can't tune it, I'm just saying it's going to be a headache. Compare that to the 3.0TFSI which had a lot of headroom to go up from 333 HP to 435 HP comfortably.

The GT350 is now king of the hill. That has Porsche 911 performance for less than half the price. What you lose in refinement you save in maintenance cost.

sfg57 10-13-2015 06:05 AM

Originally Posted by markN1689 (Post 24731764)
a LOADED s3 is 50k. and its faster than the s4 off the line if i recall correctly (4.4 vs 4.7) 0-60mph

That's right. It's faster and I assume if you want to drag race you would win. Of course, if you want more room more features and an interior that looks like and Audi instead of a warmed over VW Golf, you would want the S4. Whatever is important for you, you should get.

markN1689 10-13-2015 07:18 PM

lol

primetime 10-19-2015 11:21 AM

My S4 does alright in the 1/4...

[img width=447 height=597]http://i1012.photobucket.com/albums/af247/concordslim/IMG_2371_zpsw86jnovl.jpg[/img]

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ndpp...ature=youtu.be

markcincinnati 10-20-2015 12:57 PM

@markN1689 et al:

There is a lot to like about the S3. There is a whole lot to like about the S3 if you've not driven an S4. The pricing of the S3 does seem, if you go to a dealer that has both S3's and S4's on the showroom floor, difficult to justify -- again if you've driven (or own, especially) a B8 S4 post 2012, for instance.

I found the S3 to be a bit quicker than the S4 (both cars are equally fast) -- or it felt that way, perhaps -- at the slow speeds. But the S4 with the DSG in "S" mode, does seem to be able to get things done in a more sorted, I would say "better" fashion; the S4 is noticably smoother and, yes, does things with a feeling that it does have more urge, than the S3. This may be a function of the extra gear, I dunno.

The S3 seemed to dart -- perhaps it seems to "flinch" when the wheel is turned. That reaction certainly is indicative of some level of responsiveness, but I did find the S4, even when set to dynamic mode, to be responsive without flinching.

The S3 felt light -- and that is a good thing. But when you close (er, slam) the doors on the S3 (vs the S4), the sound is slightly tinny, evoking some sense that I can only say reminds me of my 2012 Acura TL SH-AWD Advance: flimsy. Please note -- I am not saying the S3 is flimsy. It does "sound" decidedly less solid than the S4 when the doors are slammed however.

For short trips, the S3 was a blast to drive -- but on the frost-heaved Interstate highways we have here in SW Ohio, any speed less than 80 was choppy, harsh almost. In contrast the S4 at 70 over the same surface just feels solid and "firm."

The S4 at any speed under 100 (I couldn't get the real estate to get the S3 over 100 on our crowded Interstates here in Cincinnati) is quieter, one could almost call the S4 luxurious, smooth, supple, etc. The S4 feels like a premium car from just about any perspective I can think of -- while the S3 seems like every surface that you can touch is a bit thinner, hinting at being brittle, in fact.

The thing is, I do like the S3, but it almost seems like it should have been brought out first (in its present iteration) under the VW logo, rather than under the four-rings.

I took a second drive in a balls-to-the-wall equipped version of an S3 and found a drive around the interstate surrounding Cincinnati (I-275) to be almost punishing -- especially at any speeds under 80. The S3 is a modern day buck-board when equipped with the largest wheels/tires (in summer config) and with the Audi-Drive-Select set to Dynamic.

Yes it is a very high-end go-kart. And, to me, a very high-priced one at that.

My 2014 S4 has its faults -- and it was $57K+, nearly $7K more than the S3, that is -- but the S3 needs to go to finishing school to shed some of its harsher edges. Hell, it can even keep some of the "boy-racer" characteristics, since I am of the opinion that I don't want the S3 to be a substitute for an S4, anymore than I want the S4 to be a substitute for an S6.

The S3 may be -- in fact the statistics seem to say that it is -- quicker than an S4 (not faster, quicker), but I am not looking for Audi to produce a WRX or WRX STI (not that there is anything wrong with those Subaru models). I am looking for Audi to produce and market Premium and even perhaps Super-Premium Luxury Performance cars.

In some respects the S3 doesn't represent that ideal as much as the marketing materials proclaim.

If you have an S3 and love it -- I congratulate you and do understand how you could be justified in feeling that way.

This long-time Audi maven, however, thinks the S3 should be sent, IMMEDIATELY, to finishing school or that the price should be cut about 15%. Being quicker than an S4 just isn't enough.

will13k7 10-24-2015 07:06 PM

although the s3 looks like a smaller s4, they are completely different driving cars. I still can't decide which one I like more, but given my s3 is slower than my stage-2 s4, and less luxurious, I think that says a lot for the s3. IMO its better looking than the s4 and much more light and nimble, I think these help elevate it in my mind. I do think its overpriced though, if they didn't cut all the corner that they did, then maybe it would justify the price.