AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   S4 v A4- Considering getting a S4 (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/s4-v-a4-considering-getting-s4-2843619/)

keg97 03-05-2013 04:45 AM

S4 v A4- Considering getting a S4

I don't want to steal away from the OP on another thread but I'm interested in a 2010 S4 as well. I've been a lifelong Japanese car driver and we currently have an Acura TSX (150K with no issues) and an Infiniti QX56. But something is driving me crazy to get an Audi. I love the understated luxury and the fact that you don't see them all over the road. BMW is practically the official car of my neighborhood!

I really wanted my wife to get the Q7 when we were shopping for the QX56 but we both couldn't justify the much smaller size of the Q7 since we have 3 kids (8, 5, 3). Plus we actually take the QX off-road and I knew that the QX was built on the Armada/Titan frame.

I'm trying to figure out what you get above a "regular" S-Line A4. I know the S/C V6, Recaro seats and some minor body trim. Anything else I'm missing? Did anybody move from a B8 to the S4? Differences? Is the S/C V6 a good bit better than a chipped B8?

Thanks for helping me out!

CHAUCH 03-05-2013 05:25 AM

I would test drive them both before you make your decision.

StasisS4 03-05-2013 05:32 AM

Originally Posted by keg97 (Post 24415570)

I'm trying to figure out what you get above a "regular" S-Line A4. I know the S/C V6, Recaro seats and some minor body trim. Anything else I'm missing? Did anybody move from a B8 to the S4? Differences? Is the S/C V6 a good bit better than a chipped B8?

Thanks for helping me out!

They don't come with Recaro seats anymore, but the ones they do come with are very comfortable. The S4's come with bigger sway bars, better suspension, brakes, interior pieces. It also comes with the option of getting a sports differential which really separates the two cars. You have to do a lot of research on the subject and you will understand.

The supercharged 3.O is a way better engine. A stock S4 is similar to a 2.0T with a K04 turbo upgrade and probably actually faster(Warranty voided). Some people will argue that fact, but there is no proof otherwise. A stage 2 2.0T isn't even close to a stock S4.

Drive both and decide.

snagitseven 03-05-2013 06:32 AM

Originally Posted by keg97 (Post 24415570)
Did anybody move from a B8 to the S4? Differences? Is the S/C V6 a good bit better than a chipped B8?

Not trying to appear condescending here but just for clarification so that in the future others will follow along with you, the B8 is the chassis series (U.S. 2009+ or Euro 2008+) and the current B8 series models are A4 and S4.

FWIW, I owned a 2009 B8 A4 3.2 (the V6 was only available for 2009 in the U.S.) and had the opportunity to drive the S4 several times as a service loaner. The S model was very impressive and considerably faster and better glued to the road over the A4 although, to me, in comparison it seemed a bit less comfortable for every day driving.

After 4 years with the A4, I moved to the '13 C7 A6. So clearly, as I get older, I lean more to the comfort side of things. However, I find the A6 with essentially the same 3.0 engine as the S4 (310 HP vs 333 HP with the A6 heavier) and Sport Package handles and accelerates pretty darn well (faster at 0-60 than the A4 by more than a second and less than the S4 by a second).

If performance is your primary goal in the B8 size and you can justify the cost difference, the S4 is clearly the ticket.

Toecutter 03-05-2013 07:54 AM

My previous car was a 2009 A4 S-line with an APR chip. My current car is a 2013 S4.

The A4 with the flash was actually pretty quick and fun to drive. The sport suspension handled nicely, and the car was reliable with very few issues. My main complaint about the car was that the headrests were pitched too far forward, which strained my neck, but other than that I really liked the car.

The S4 feels like substantially more car in every way. The quality of the interior pieces, the seats, the flat bottomed steering wheel, the transmission, and the drivetrain are all superior. If you simply go sit inside of both of these cars you'll see exactly what I'm talking about as far as the quality of the interior goes. When I drive the A4 my impression is, "Hey, this thing is pretty nice." When I drive the S4 my impression is, "Holy balls!"

Edit: 2010 S4 doesn't have the flat-bottomed steering wheel, which was new for 2013. It has the same wheel as the A4.

bbmaster 03-05-2013 08:24 AM

2010-2012 S4 have non flat-bottom steering wheel, but it's different from the A4 steering wheel. It's thicker and has contrast stitching that match the stitching on the seats and shifter boot.

Toecutter 03-05-2013 08:44 AM

Originally Posted by bbmaster (Post 24415665)
2010-2012 S4 have non flat-bottom steering wheel, but it's different from the A4 steering wheel. It's thicker and has contrast stitching that match the stitching on the seats and shifter boot.

Thanks for the correction. The S-line steering wheel looked identical to the S4 steering wheel to me, but I hadn't actually laid my hands on a 2010 to 2012 S4.

RobC 03-05-2013 09:10 AM

On more than one occasion I've received a B8A4 loaner and although they may seem like almost the same car, the driving experience is vastly different for me. It's not just a particular feature that matters, but rather all the differences combined:

Color/hi-res MMI/dash display, seat bolstering, brake feel, throttle response, suspension/handling, steering, low-end torque, acceleration, road feel. The A4 just feels like a different car. As has been suggested, I also think you should simply drive an A4 and S4 back to back and make your decision based on that.

Dave335i 03-05-2013 10:01 AM

Michael Febbo from Motor Trend said it best:

"I suggest you go with a stripped-down S4 rather than a loaded A4, but that's me. The 3.0T is an absolutely addictive engine and the optional sport differential makes the S4 one of the best sports sedans in the world."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...4_first_drive/

bbmaster 03-05-2013 10:17 AM

Originally Posted by Dave335i (Post 24415694)
Michael Febbo from Motor Trend said it best:

"I suggest you go with a stripped-down S4 rather than a loaded A4, but that's me. The 3.0T is an absolutely addictive engine and the optional sport differential makes the S4 one of the best sports sedans in the world."

Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/roadtests/...4_first_drive/

I would get a CPO S4 over a new A4. Probably the price would be similar.