S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sport Differential failure! help/options?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 12:25 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Which connections?

Originally Posted by adamparkinson
FYI I identified the IMPLAUSIBLE signal as an issue with my battery ground and some corrosion buildup on the Sports Diff wiring. The sports diff wiring harness terminates in the module near the battery. Once i cleaned the connections all was well with the world!
Hi, I have been living with this fault for a few months now. I finally jacked the car up tonight to follow your advice. I unfastened the large sealed black connector and it was good as new inside. I see 3 brown connectors that look suspect but am unsure how to open these and would like to check if you recommend checking these ones? If so can you describe how to open them? Thanks in advance, Peter
Old 01-27-2019, 08:00 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My Sport Diff Story

My post from a few years ago:

I have a 2010 S4 Prestige with APR Stage II+, APR Exhaust and Intake and some other suspension Mods. Always made sure the dealership didn't plug the car in when there for service. Last year (Sept 2015) while still under the 5 yr/100,000 mile drive train warranty the car started throwing the standard Mechatronic code (can't remember exactly what it said) and so took the car back to the Tuner and had it reflashed back to OEM. (I have another in-depth post detailing the Mech issue. Basically it entailed the circuit boards which were replaced with no subsequent problems to this day 01/27/2019) The dealership never saw the tune. Then two weeks ago I started getting the Sport Differential fault detected light with no degradation of power. I was hoping it was just some codes that needed to be cleared. Went back to the Tuner and we put it on a lift only to find the differential had oil all over it. Reset the car back to OEM and off to the dealership. They confirmed it was bad and the entire SD needed to be replaced. My warranty was six months past five years so they wanted to charge me $7,100 to replace. I told them that was unacceptable due to the car only having 39,000 miles on it and they needed to do better than that especially because it also has that TSB on it. They came back and said they would split the difference with me. I told them Audi needed to do better than that. This was a major drivetrain component that should have gotten 150,000 + miles out of it, that their was a TSB on it and that the replacement SD was modified from original showing that Audi acknowledges that the SD has a problem. I bought the car new there, it's garaged and again only has 39,000 miles on it. They came back the next day and said they would cover the entire fix. What was huge for me was that when flashed back to OEM, the APR program was never detected. No TD1. I'm positive that if they had seen the tune both the Mechatronics and SD would have been on me. My tuner is New German Performance in Springfield, VA just outside of Washington, DC. Highly recommend them. Great guys

Any questions concerning the above don’t hesitate to ask. I’m the original owner with 73K miles on it. Stage 2+. Still runs as hard as ever. Debating on a DSG tune but not sure yet. Feels barely broken in. Cheers. Wayne