S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Sprintbooster

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2011, 07:21 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just thought I'd pitch in too. I've had Sprint Booster installed in my '06 Porsche Cayman S. No HP gain but it definitely improves throttle response. So, it may not actually improve your lap times but it certainly gives you a "faster" and more "responsive" feel. Whether that's worth the money is totally up to you. Many people on the Porsche forum that have tried the product love it.

Porsche does offer an option for its cars called "Sport Chrono" that essentially gives you a "Sport" button that will increase throttle response (along with, for auto/PDK transmissions, more aggressive shifting map) when pressed. My CS wasn't ordered with Sport Chrono so Sprint Booster does the job for me.

Now, the thing is that with my '11 S4 set to "Dynamic" I really don't feel the throttle response needs any improving. I like the way it is. So I have no plan to buy a Sprint Booster for the S4.

YMMV.
Old 09-15-2011, 12:00 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turr520
Just thought I'd pitch in too. I've had Sprint Booster installed in my '06 Porsche Cayman S. No HP gain but it definitely improves throttle response. So, it may not actually improve your lap times but it certainly gives you a "faster" and more "responsive" feel. Whether that's worth the money is totally up to you. Many people on the Porsche forum that have tried the product love it.

Porsche does offer an option for its cars called "Sport Chrono" that essentially gives you a "Sport" button that will increase throttle response (along with, for auto/PDK transmissions, more aggressive shifting map) when pressed. My CS wasn't ordered with Sport Chrono so Sprint Booster does the job for me.

Now, the thing is that with my '11 S4 set to "Dynamic" I really don't feel the throttle response needs any improving. I like the way it is. So I have no plan to buy a Sprint Booster for the S4.

YMMV.
Same here, the Dynamic mode is more than sensitive enough. I find the Comfort & Auto mode to feel a little sluggish, then popped into dynamic and it zings real easily, so much that I wouldn't want any more haha.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:19 AM
SMO
AudiWorld Member

Default Sprint Booster installed... disappointed

So after reading through all the reviews, I decided to give it a try. I guess "throttle response" can be defined in a couple ways. What I was specifically looking for was to get rid of the lag that I get when I push down on the pedal. I have a 2008 2.0 with AT. An example of what I'm talking about... when cruising along at 1.5k RPM, I can push the pedal all the way to the floor for 1 second and release and the car literally does nothing. The RPM increases, but I get no response. It takes over 1 second to start going. I was hoping the Sprint Booster would fix this lag time, but instead all it does is mimic me pushing the pedal down farther, which I don't care for. I'm a little surprised, because the reviews do in fact say that response time is improved, but all I'm getting is an exaggerating response, rather lower response time.

Am I correct in my assessment? If so, I will be sending it back.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by SMO
So after reading through all the reviews, I decided to give it a try. I guess "throttle response" can be defined in a couple ways. What I was specifically looking for was to get rid of the lag that I get when I push down on the pedal. I have a 2008 2.0 with AT. An example of what I'm talking about... when cruising along at 1.5k RPM, I can push the pedal all the way to the floor for 1 second and release and the car literally does nothing. The RPM increases, but I get no response. It takes over 1 second to start going. I was hoping the Sprint Booster would fix this lag time, but instead all it does is mimic me pushing the pedal down farther, which I don't care for. I'm a little surprised, because the reviews do in fact say that response time is improved, but all I'm getting is an exaggerating response, rather lower response time.

Am I correct in my assessment? If so, I will be sending it back.
That is turbo lag, and this product will not do anything for that. To reduce this lag, you will need to remove the stock sound dampening, and usually want to put on a tune and a FMIC (front mounted intercooler). The physical changes will reduce the volume of air that is being compressed, which is what is taking the time to perform and causing the lag before this hits the intake runners. The tune will help squeeze more power out of what the physical changes are doing.

You cannot totally eliminate turbo lag, but it can be greatly reduced by lowering the distance from the turbo to the intake, and lowering the volume being compressed.
Old 04-20-2012, 09:37 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
That is turbo lag, and this product will not do anything for that. To reduce this lag, you will need to remove the stock sound dampening, and usually want to put on a tune and a FMIC (front mounted intercooler). The physical changes will reduce the volume of air that is being compressed, which is what is taking the time to perform and causing the lag before this hits the intake runners. The tune will help squeeze more power out of what the physical changes are doing.

You cannot totally eliminate turbo lag, but it can be greatly reduced by lowering the distance from the turbo to the intake, and lowering the volume being compressed.
he said if engine rpm increases but the car doesn't accelerate so it actually sounds like transmission lag, which is horrid on that car, combine that with the turbo lag and it's a painful driving experience
Old 04-20-2012, 11:06 AM
SMO
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by StumpJumper
he said if engine rpm increases but the car doesn't accelerate so it actually sounds like transmission lag, which is horrid on that car, combine that with the turbo lag and it's a painful driving experience
Right... so I guess my question then is, does the Sprint Booster really do anything other than amplifying how much I'm pressing the pedal? I get the sense that the answer is no.
Old 04-20-2012, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SMO
Right... so I guess my question then is, does the Sprint Booster really do anything other than amplifying how much I'm pressing the pedal?
No.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by SMO
Right... so I guess my question then is, does the Sprint Booster really do anything other than amplifying how much I'm pressing the pedal? I get the sense that the answer is no.
you want a tip chip if such a thing exists for that car
Old 05-16-2012, 06:18 PM
wbc
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Throttle hysteresis

does anybody know sth about throttle hysteresis in your car? do you solve it?
Old 08-02-2018, 01:54 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

what do you think of windbooster throttle controller? Compared with Sprintbooster?