S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Squeak noise on the dashboard

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2013, 10:39 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Squeak noise on the dashboard

Hi all
So since I got my car I noticed a squeak noise coming from the dashboard piece that surrounds the MMI... This piece goes all the way to the air outlet on the drivers side.
I found where the noise is coming from (see red circle in the picture) and when I put a little pressure in the area, the squeak noise goes away but after a few minutes driving, the same noise comes back.
Audi changed the whole piece on my 5K service under the warranty but after 2 weeks the same squeak noise is back!!!
Anyone here experiencing the same problem? If so, how did you solve the problem??
Or any other ideas are more than welcome before I take my car to the dealership again

Cheers!!
Attached Images  
Old 03-06-2013, 11:57 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

From the factory, that piece is secured with some adhesive. My guess is that when the dealer reinstalled the piece(there are clips to hold it), no adhesive was reapplied. Now there is some movement that causes the squeaking.

Last edited by DrGP; 03-06-2013 at 11:59 AM.
Old 03-06-2013, 12:21 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 99 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
From the factory, that piece is secured with some adhesive. My guess is that when the dealer reinstalled the piece(there are clips to hold it), no adhesive was reapplied. Now there is some movement that causes the squeaking.
The OP said it was squeaking since he got the car before the replacement so it could be one of the original, reused clips that's making the noise. Ask the dealer to remove the panel and check each one and also to be sure the panel is not rubbing on another piece of plastic somewhere.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:13 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Mine was squeaking in exactly the same location. When I would apply finger pressure to that same spot the squeaking would stop. I had the service department take a look at it and their service documentation stated "insulated contact points." Unfortunately whatever they did was unsuccessful, so I inserted a small piece of foam in between that plastic piece and the plastic beneath it to apply outward pressure and now mine is pretty silent.
Old 03-06-2013, 05:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Toecutter
Mine was squeaking in exactly the same location. When I would apply finger pressure to that same spot the squeaking would stop. I had the service department take a look at it and their service documentation stated "insulated contact points." Unfortunately whatever they did was unsuccessful, so I inserted a small piece of foam in between that plastic piece and the plastic beneath it to apply outward pressure and now mine is pretty silent.
Sounds like a reasonable way to eliminate the noise. Did you remove the trim piece or just insert the foam under the trim piece?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:07 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
Sounds like a reasonable way to eliminate the noise. Did you remove the trim piece or just insert the foam under the trim piece?
I just shoved the foam in there. If the rattle shows up again I'll remove the entire trim piece and look more closely.
Old 03-06-2013, 06:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I had the same issue on the exactly the same location. The tech used the finger to hold it when I was driving. The rattle was gone. Just dropped off the car for fixing the issue and they called me and told me that the issue was fixed. I will pick up my car on Friday and I will see how it goes. The dealer should fix it. Don't worry man!
Old 03-07-2013, 03:02 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by smellmyfart
I had the same issue on the exactly the same location. The tech used the finger to hold it when I was driving. The rattle was gone. Just dropped off the car for fixing the issue and they called me and told me that the issue was fixed. I will pick up my car on Friday and I will see how it goes. The dealer should fix it. Don't worry man!
Awesome!! Let me know what kind of fix they did (and if it worked) and I'll try to let them know and do the same
The foam solution seems pretty simple. What size was the piece of foam and where exactly it goes?
Old 03-07-2013, 04:41 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

The foam I used was some dense Cinelli bicycle handlebar tape (it was the first thing I spotted in my garage) cut down to about 1cm. long by 0.5cm. wide. I pried the silver trim piece away from the dash using a small screwdriver and slid the foam up in there, pretty much right where your red oval is in the pic.
Old 03-07-2013, 07:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

That grey plastic is flimsy. Th rest of the trim is pretty solid except for that piece. I have noticed a rattle/squeak and wonder if it is from the same place. Maybe I will buy a carbon fiber piece from ocarbon to replace it outright.

Quick Reply: Squeak noise on the dashboard