S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Steering issues

Old 08-06-2013, 11:38 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Steering issues

I have done some searches and research on the steering issues, and I'm a bit concerned. I noticed a small issue on a test drive at high speed on a turn, but otherwise the steering seemed OK. From what I can determine, it's much more prevalent on the A6 than on the A4, but it happens on that car as well. Is it unique to the A4, or does the S4 also have some issues?

I'm concerned largely because I hated the BMW electric assist steering so much that I got rid of the car (535) after only 8 months. I took a huge bath on it, as you can imagine. I can't afford to do that again. But I will not tolerate a car with bad steering, or notchy steering, as vague steering, which are some of the symptoms that I have read about.

Thoughts? Advice?

Thanks,
Michael
Old 08-06-2013, 11:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

My 2011 equipped with Audi Drive Select and Steering on dynamic really pulls back on the assist to say the least (stiff wheel). You do get good feedback from the road. Plus there are mods to make it even nicer if you like.

In order to keep the steering and feel the way I wanted... I never use AUTO mode. Didn't feel the car was as predictable, but that's just me.

Hope this helps
Old 08-06-2013, 12:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by TO407S4
My 2011 equipped with Audi Drive Select and Steering on dynamic really pulls back on the assist to say the least (stiff wheel). You do get good feedback from the road. Plus there are mods to make it even nicer if you like.

In order to keep the steering and feel the way I wanted... I never use AUTO mode. Didn't feel the car was as predictable, but that's just me.

Hope this helps
If he's talking a 2013+ though, it has the new electric steering. When I first got my 2013 it had a little notchiness in it that occurred rarely. But I haven't noticed it in forever, and I am pretty much to the point where I think it was the tires, because my winter set never did it, and it didn't do it once I put my summer set back on. You can search my posts to find it, but it was never an issue where I could easily repeat it or ever felt unsafe.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. I am considering buying a new 2014 S4, and with this new electric assist steering, there are numerous posts on issues with it, mostly in the A6 forums.

I'm a little worried. I have no plans to get the audi assist or fancy steering or whatever it's called (I'm not up on all the acronyms yet) just your basic car with the active diff and maybe the B&O and nappa leather.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:41 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by m j b
Sorry, I wasn't very clear in my post. I am considering buying a new 2014 S4, and with this new electric assist steering, there are numerous posts on issues with it, mostly in the A6 forums.

I'm a little worried. I have no plans to get the audi assist or fancy steering or whatever it's called (I'm not up on all the acronyms yet) just your basic car with the active diff and maybe the B&O and nappa leather.
Unfortunately I think all electric assist steering has it's issues when compared to classic hydraulic assist. But it does appear to be here to stay...even on Porsche now. That being said I have heard the Audi has one of the best setups compared to other makes. Hopefully it gets better each passing year.

"... the 'why' bit. This is fairly easy. First, it's cheaper and easier to install. There's no need for a hydraulic pump in the engine bay, fluid lines to the steering gear (a fair distance apart on a 911 of course) and it's essentially maintenance free. Once you've designed the steering hardware it can be installed in any number of different cars and simply tuned to suit each application, or even variant should you be so inclined - it's all software based so, relatively, easy and affordable. And let's not forget the improvements in CO2 and fuel consumption."
Old 08-06-2013, 09:49 PM
AudiWorld Member

I'm new to Audi, my '13 S4 is the first Audi after years of BMW loyalty. I passed on BMW this time around because the steering feel was....shockingly bad. Audi's system isn't great but better than BMW's. I still prefer my '99 M3's steering feel and handling. The S4 has incredible grip and is the best compromise for both daily driver and occasional track use. However, there's something about older BMW's. Just like there's something special about older Porsches.
Old 08-07-2013, 08:17 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by safetywork
I'm new to Audi, my '13 S4 is the first Audi after years of BMW loyalty. I passed on BMW this time around because the steering feel was....shockingly bad. Audi's system isn't great but better than BMW's. I still prefer my '99 M3's steering feel and handling. The S4 has incredible grip and is the best compromise for both daily driver and occasional track use. However, there's something about older BMW's. Just like there's something special about older Porsches.
I love the steering feel of our S4. Very effective. Wide tires cause some wander on my hood's crappy streets but still works. On the track, she glides like a fine tuned filly. What's the 'bitchin about?
Old 08-08-2013, 02:49 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 92 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Luna's S4
I love the steering feel of our S4. Very effective. Wide tires cause some wander on my hood's crappy streets but still works. On the track, she glides like a fine tuned filly. What's the 'bitchin about?
The complaints referred to encompass the electric steering of the 2012+ C7 and 2013+ B8. Yours is hydraulic.
Old 08-08-2013, 04:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
The complaints referred to encompass the electric steering of the 2012+ C7 and 2013+ B8. Yours is hydraulic.
Well, there you go. I love the hydraulic steering! (Thanks for setting me straight Snagitseven).
Old 08-08-2013, 09:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by snagitseven
What "Snagitseven" said. And I wasn't "bitching", it's simply how the steering of my '13 S4 feels to me when compared to my M.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Steering issues