S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

To those who did the Pioneer sub swap

Old 06-03-2014, 09:13 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
I was the first person to install the Pioneer sub so I'm not assuming anything. The frame gets stuck in the deck hole and you cant go in further, so folks use a ring to support it better. You cannot mount flush without cutting metal. I used three layers of dynamat which stacks up to about 3/8". There is HUGE room above the top of the sub to the fabric of the parcel shelf cover. There is absolutely no chance the sub will ever rub against it even at maximum excursion.

I just measured my old B&O sub right now and its 2.5" thick. The woofer bezel and spacer comes to about 1" which leaves you with 1.5" left. Your max excursion is less than half of that.
I see ! So the old B&O is 2.5" protruding from the sheet metal. Therefore, I could do a 1" spacer + .25" mounting ring + have .67" of xmax and still have about another .5" available, right?
Old 06-03-2014, 09:29 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by Taxmaster
I see ! So the old B&O is 2.5" protruding from the sheet metal. Therefore, I could do a 1" spacer + .25" mounting ring + have .67" of xmax and still have about another .5" available, right?
Hmmm I wouldn't push your luck just in case there's something in there we can't see. Can you stick to 1/2" spacer? Here is a picture of the old B&O sub assembly. You can see that the entire basket and magnet fits between the parcel shelf and the metal deck. It does taper a bit towards one end.

I'd say I'll pop mine open and take pictures, but the car is at the window tinters right this very moment, and I won't be able to photograph through the glass when I get it back.
Old 06-03-2014, 09:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmmm I wouldn't push your luck just in case there's something in there we can't see. Can you stick to 1/2" spacer? Here is a picture of the old B&O sub assembly. You can see that the entire basket and magnet fits between the parcel shelf and the metal deck. It does taper a bit towards one end.

I'd say I'll pop mine open and take pictures, but the car is at the window tinters right this very moment, and I won't be able to photograph through the glass when I get it back.
Please see post 182 here:

This is the exact configuration I'm going for (same woofer too). So I think I'll try for a similar tapered baffle, it seemed to work for him. Do you think this looks reasonable as well?

By the way, please take your time with the photo, no issue. The sub doesn't arrive until Friday anyways.
Old 06-04-2014, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Originally Posted by Taxmaster
Please see post 182 here:

This is the exact configuration I'm going for (same woofer too). So I think I'll try for a similar tapered baffle, it seemed to work for him. Do you think this looks reasonable as well?
Hmm, well since that looks like an S4/A4 I'd say that it would work OK. I'm not sure why you would need to do something like that though. There's no reason why the sub needs to be level for performance, and you won't be able to see it at all so cosmetic is also out.

BTW: I found a paint can key works very well for removing the grilles.

That guy also wired the sub for 2Ω operation. Make sure you wire for 8Ω with the B&O amp. If you add your own amp later then you'll want to switch back to 2Ω.

By the way, please take your time with the photo, no issue. The sub doesn't arrive until Friday anyways.
After my car returns I will be unable to take flash photography through the rear window due to the dark tint it's getting. The angle you need is only possible through the glass with a normal sized camera.

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 06-04-2014 at 05:56 AM.
Old 06-04-2014, 06:30 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Hmm, well since that looks like an S4/A4 I'd say that it would work OK. I'm not sure why you would need to do something like that though. There's no reason why the sub needs to be level for performance, and you won't be able to see it at all so cosmetic is also out.
So if I just do a solid 0.5" baffle (no slope), I should have plenty of mounting room and room for max excursion without the interference that my referenced post had noted?

Btw, will of course wire for 8 Ohms and will definitely utilize the paint can opener!
Old 06-04-2014, 05:21 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Yes you are definitely fine with a half inch spacer.

Don't forget to plug in BOTH of your tweeters when you reassemble. Its easy to miss one...