S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Tint & Clear Bra done!

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2013, 07:29 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Long story short, different types for different purposes.

Basically one was used on the hood b/c you can get it in 60" and have a no seam look, another used for front bumper areas and lights b/c it is more durable / resistant to impacts and the last was used on the rear bumper area b/c it has self-healing properties since that will be a higher traffic area (putting things in / taking them out).

hope that helps
Old 02-04-2013, 08:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 96 Likes on 44 Posts

[quote=hyprspeed;24403900]Long story short, different types for different purposes.

Basically one was used on the hood b/c you can get it in 60" and have a no seam look, another used for front bumper areas and lights b/c it is more durable / resistant to impacts and the last was used on the rear bumper area b/c it has self-healing properties since that will be a higher traffic area (putting things in / taking them out)./quote]

Interesting. I had Xpel Ultimate installed everywhere on the hood, front fenders, front bumper, mirrors, rocker panels and rear bumper loading section because of the self healing properties. Xpel Ultimate is available in a 60" roll so no seams on the hood. They wrapped all my edges where possible as well. The Ultimate is more expensive than other films though.
Old 02-04-2013, 09:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

If you don't mind me asking, what did all that cost?
Old 02-04-2013, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by Dave335i
If you don't mind me asking, what did all that cost?
About $1600 in the Boston area by one of the top detailers in the country - Unique Car Care owned by Rick Nelson.

Here's a good example of the Xpel Ultimate work they do:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/det...rotection.html
Old 02-04-2013, 12:22 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Total job was 2k (tint and all bra work)
Old 02-07-2013, 08:33 PM
AudiWorld Member

OK,... I've read all of the responses regarding the film but my biggest hesitation is not knowing how the film will affect the "gloss" appearance of the paint.

I like to use a clay bar and wax my car to get a great shine and I am curious whether the film dulls the look or affects of a nicely waxed car.

Will the film hold dirt? Is it harder to clean? On a white car, will it show stains or tarnish when it gets dirty? Will it bond to the paint under extreme heat and thus do damage to the paint job?

I can't help but think that it won't look as good.

Thanks for the help
Old 02-08-2013, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by s4sleeper
OK,... I've read all of the responses regarding the film but my biggest hesitation is not knowing how the film will affect the "gloss" appearance of the paint.

I like to use a clay bar and wax my car to get a great shine and I am curious whether the film dulls the look or affects of a nicely waxed car.

Will the film hold dirt? Is it harder to clean? On a white car, will it show stains or tarnish when it gets dirty? Will it bond to the paint under extreme heat and thus do damage to the paint job?

Thanks for the help
Get a good film with a good installer and you won't know it's there. It does require maintenance (clean with a film cleaner and seal) but its super durable with really no drawbacks. I'd stick to Xpel ultimate for the film
Old 02-08-2013, 10:41 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thanks for the help
My Xpel Ultimate looks as new as when it was installed last July. While you can't use abrasives on any film, you really don't need to with the Ultimate - it seems to wash dirt off easily and using a bit of isopropyl alchohol takes care of the occasional stubborn bug or tar spots.

You can wax it like the rest of the car and due to it's own clear coat (unusual for a film), provides a great shine and you have to be less than 12" away to see that it's even there. Add in the unique self healing properties and it's the way to go IMO.

My installer uses Xpel Ultimate exclusively for many outrageously expensive, exotic cars. When I pass by his shop, it's always loaded with R8s, Ferraris, Porches, Lambos, etc.
Old 02-10-2013, 10:28 PM
AudiWorld Member

I just came across this and thought it looked great! Has anybody seen it up close? I'm thinking of getting for my new IBIS WHITE S4 when it arrives.

Old 02-11-2013, 06:01 AM
AudiWorld Super User

I just came across this and thought it looked great! Has anybody seen it up close? I'm thinking of getting for my new IBIS WHITE S4 when it arrives.
I suppose if you would like a matte vs. glossy finish on your car this could work. I prefer to see reflections on my car's shiny paint so this would be a non-starter for me.