S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Torn between 2013 S4 and 2012 S5

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 09:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by paTTsfan
Thanks, folks. This definitely helps narrow things down. BUT, a couple of the posts now have me thinking about the 2013 S5! I guess at this point it's a matter of personal preference, unless someone tells me there's a noticeable performance difference between the two. At this point, I'm pretty sure I'm gunning for a 2013 model with sports diff and most of the convenience/interior options.
I've been vocal about the very real differences between the 2013 S4 and 2013 S5. IMHO, it's not just about the price differential (~$3K or $60/mo on lease). I was considering the same choice, and went with the S4 with no regrets whatsoever.

Audi makes it tough to choose. Both cars are brilliant, but the S4 is slightly more "driver's car" and the S5 slightly more "statement car". The S4 is better balanced in the twisties (I don't care what anyone else tells you...it just handles/feels better and more planted when taking turns at speed...basically the same tradeoff you make when you get the sexier A7 over the balanced A6). The S5 is better looking to some (not necessarily me), and will definitely turn more heads if that's what you're into.

There's always the 4 doors vs. 2 doors practically argument, but also don't forget that in the S5, you're giving up a functional sunroof (big strike against the S5 for me).
Old 09-14-2012, 10:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And one more notable item - the S5 is much tougher to live with from in ingress/egress perspective. My neighbor has a S5 and I am constantly amazed at how much lower the roof line is and how much harder it is to get into. This is especially true in a parking lot where the door cannot be opened too far.

If you are tall and/or not a contortionist and/or ever have to bring an aging relative in your car, think twice about the S5.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:22 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Smith837
I've been vocal about the very real differences between the 2013 S4 and 2013 S5. IMHO, it's not just about the price differential (~$3K or $60/mo on lease). I was considering the same choice, and went with the S4 with no regrets whatsoever.

Audi makes it tough to choose. Both cars are brilliant, but the S4 is slightly more "driver's car" and the S5 slightly more "statement car". The S4 is better balanced in the twisties (I don't care what anyone else tells you...it just handles/feels better and more planted when taking turns at speed...basically the same tradeoff you make when you get the sexier A7 over the balanced A6). The S5 is better looking to some (not necessarily me), and will definitely turn more heads if that's what you're into.

There's always the 4 doors vs. 2 doors practically argument, but also don't forget that in the S5, you're giving up a functional sunroof (big strike against the S5 for me).
I'm actually a fan of the S4 looks too. Where I live, there are actually too many S5's and not as many S4's, which I also like.
Old 09-14-2012, 01:24 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by carguyrob
And one more notable item - the S5 is much tougher to live with from in ingress/egress perspective. My neighbor has a S5 and I am constantly amazed at how much lower the roof line is and how much harder it is to get into. This is especially true in a parking lot where the door cannot be opened too far.

If you are tall and/or not a contortionist and/or ever have to bring an aging relative in your car, think twice about the S5.
You just nailed all of the issues I have with my TT. I don't want to deal with that anymore, so heavily leaning towards S4 at this point. In Canada the S5 with exact same options is an extra $7k, so saving that is also a bonus!
Old 09-14-2012, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by carguyrob

Agreed, though some won't be bothered by this. Gotta admit, I really think the 5 needs a different mount for the seat belts. Unless you sit with your seat all the way back, it can be straining to reach back to grab the belt (i.e., it's not at your side as in the 4, but several inches behind the seat). Might seem like a small detail...but multiplied by 100s or 1000s of times getting into the car, it's an issue for me (esp. given some previous shoulder injuries).