S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction (No Reverse, Continue Driving) Error: Mechatronic Unit

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2016, 04:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I believe that this forum can also assist a great deal even though its mandate might be different.

I have owned by first Audi A3 Sportsback 2.0 fsi back in 2010 and that car made me fall in love with the brand. I later owned a 2009 Audi A4 2.0 tfsi (132kw), followed by another A4 2.0 tfsi (132kw) in 2012 which had one cylinder give in and Audi had to replace the whole motor.

I then got the Audi A5, 2.0 tfsi quattro Coupe in late 2013 (a 2011 Model) which gave me so many mechanical problems such as the oil consumption, balancing shaft which caused the car to run like it had a misfire, then currently the gearbox problem which does not take all even numbers including the reverse gear - I am heart broken as I really love this car.

My wife insisted in getting an Audi q5 2.0 tfis Q early last year also a 2011 model but i had already learned the hard way and checked everything on it before we got it. It had all pistons replaces and all rings, it had also gone for the printed circuit replacement for the gearbox.

I have supported this brand and it is really sad that Audi does not value my support and I honestly believe that after this, my next car might easily be from another stable far away from the VW Group.
The following users liked this post:
Jbcmfgimp (02-21-2022)
Old 11-20-2016, 11:42 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Same issue here!!!

I drive a 2011 A4 2.0T Quattro and today got hit with the exact same problem. Both the "no-reverse" and TPMS fault indicators came on and lost all the even number gears + R...

HAd the car back to normal for like 10 mins after stopping the car but after that the problem just came back... The car is in the shop now so I hope Audi Malaysia can fix this quickly... Bracing for the damage...
Old 10-16-2017, 08:46 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Lost power on all gears

I know I might be late to this subject. But did you manage to find the reason behind the gear malfunction? Can I know is your gear is a zf or double clutch? I'm not being able to fix the problem though I changed the mechatronic. Any advice?
Originally Posted by Curly8
I drive a 2011 A4 2.0T Quattro and today got hit with the exact same problem. Both the "no-reverse" and TPMS fault indicators came on and lost all the even number gears + R...

HAd the car back to normal for like 10 mins after stopping the car but after that the problem just came back... The car is in the shop now so I hope Audi Malaysia can fix this quickly... Bracing for the damage...
Changes
Old 10-17-2017, 02:24 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Mine is a double clutch s-tronic. Works fine since the mechatronic replacement...
Old 10-23-2017, 01:20 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by iceburgwaters
Like wise thanks for the information Mike.
Kagiso - I looked up their Information and I sent an email to Capstone Law APC.
This is an issue being experience - worldwide and Audi needs to comes to it sense and take action.
This are the lawyer info-
plaintiffs were represented by the law firms of Capstone Law APC, EcoTech Law Group PC, and Strategic Legal Practices APC.

- let's get this going
Hi guys
Got the problem on my Audi a7 2011. Had it for just a month having bought it second hand. Then the above problem popped up.
Took it to Audi Northcliff and their first diagnosis was replacing printed circuit and housing for R30k. Four weeks later they send me an email saying there is another problem on the vehicle. The plug to the Mechatron is melted which would require a new mechatron and wiring harness to be replaced. What next a complete transmission? Another quote needs generating as the vehicle is off warranty and the top up insurance with Warranty Solutions conveniently doesn't cover so all out of my own pocket.
Surely by now Audi knows that this is a recurring issue? For a car as the A7 one would expect better service from Audi SA as this is my second Audi and still receiving very poor service and high maintenance costs. At this rate I will never recommend Audi to anyone as it turns out to be as bad as the old alfa!
As we speak it's going for the fifth week and no car no resolution.
Old 10-23-2017, 01:45 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by TherryM
Hi guys
Got the problem on my Audi a7 2011. Had it for just a month having bought it second hand. Then the above problem popped up.
Took it to Audi Northcliff and their first diagnosis was replacing printed circuit and housing for R30k. Four weeks later they send me an email saying there is another problem on the vehicle. The plug to the Mechatron is melted which would require a new mechatron and wiring harness to be replaced. What next a complete transmission? Another quote needs generating as the vehicle is off warranty and the top up insurance with Warranty Solutions conveniently doesn't cover so all out of my own pocket.
Surely by now Audi knows that this is a recurring issue? For a car as the A7 one would expect better service from Audi SA as this is my second Audi and still receiving very poor service and high maintenance costs. At this rate I will never recommend Audi to anyone as it turns out to be as bad as the old alfa!
As we speak it's going for the fifth week and no car no resolution.

An update, got a call FROM Audi Northcliff and it's only the wiring harness that is burnt but the mechatronic unit works perfectly. However they recommend replacing the mechatronic unit as well for R80k?! Wtf? Is there no way of replacing the wiring harness that one needs to spend R80k for a new unit you don't need? Really really? Bill sitting at R100k...
Old 10-29-2018, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by arn560
............But I had reverse & it wouldn't go into 1st, 3rd, 5th or 7th gears. Only 2nd, 4th & 6th.
Having it towed to stealership today and bracing for the worst as I only have 90k miles on it.
can I ask what the problem was and how much, I have developed the same issue with my 2011 a7 with only 69000 miles on the clock ??
The following users liked this post:
KlajdiALB (07-03-2021)
Old 11-05-2018, 03:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Rikki Edwards

can I ask what the problem was and how much, I have developed the same issue with my 2011 a7 with only 69000 miles on the clock ??
Where are you located? I am New Jersey. I discovered JA Autowerks that fixed the problem for $1,985.00. I had about 119,000 at the time.
Since they fixed it I have had no issues. They also gave me a 3 year warranty.
Even my local Audi dealer didn't want to touch it. (Jerkoffs!)
The following 2 users liked this post by arn560:
huskyz (01-03-2022), KlajdiALB (07-03-2021)
Old 01-18-2019, 06:53 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Default Mechatronic Unit - loss connection

Originally Posted by arn560
Where are you located? I am New Jersey. I discovered JA Autowerks that fixed the problem for $1,985.00. I had about 119,000 at the time.
Since they fixed it I have had no issues. They also gave me a 3 year warranty.
Even my local Audi dealer didn't want to touch it. (Jerkoffs!)
Hello all. In dire need of advice. Similar issue but diff “reason” given. Bought an AUDI A3 8V in Oct 2014. Since then, replaced mechatronic once or twice, clutch, flywheel. All covered under warranty but issues persisted every now and then.

Now..its in the Audi wshop again, warranty expired. Trying to claim out of goodwill as the only option given was to replace mech unit for MYR 13k or usd 3+++.

So since this has always been my issue i asked why cant it be covered. Reason given was:
1. 2015, i installed an OEM plug n play reverse cam. To power the cam, the guy used the reverse light wire / power source so it would only switch on when in reverse.
2. Technician claims, no TPI so suspect wiring. Detected leak and said was from reverse cam.
3. Technician concluded reverse cam shortes the mechatronic unit.

Im not an engineer so need some advice:
1. Could a reverse cam screw up so much to be able to short the mech unit? I asked for proof of leak / wires exposed non visible.
2. I was still able to drive after 1 hr of wait (it started then switched off on its own. After waiting i was able to drive to dealership perfectly fine. Next day they say its the cam, i need to charge myr 900 to remove the cam. Agreed. After removing the comm, unable to connect to mech.
3. Why would it take 4 years to only short the mech unit? Several months back I complained epc light and it was diagnosed with no conclusion (this was while under warranty).
4. Anyone knows how much voltage would it take to short circuit a mechatronic unit?
5. Any ever hear a reason for a mech unit short circuit due to connecting reverse cam to reverse light power? I googled and it seemed that’s exactly how you would make a reverse cam workS
6. So how do i prove either way ie how do know for sure the camera shortes the mech unit or how do i prove it did not?

pls help. Always an audi fan but..it was fun while it lasted

My car clo
Old 01-27-2019, 04:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default My Mech unit story

ill cut and paste my old post from several years ago (Sept 2015):

Had the Transmission malfunction: limited driving functionality message pop up for several months now with no degradation of performance until two weeks ago when suddenly I couldn't accelerate very well. I have APR Stage II, exhaust, intake, AK, and Eurocode Sways, with only 29,000 miles on my 2010 S-4. Followed NWS4guy's advice (thanks Neal!) and went back to New German Performance (they installed all APR aftermarket items) to re-flash to OEM stock. Took car into dealership who I've always had a great relationship with (and have always told to not plug in when being serviced and never was asked why), told them about the tranny malfunction codes and had my Audi service accomplished at the same time. Obviously I was worried about what I assumed was to be an imminent TD1 with accompanying hassle and lots of grief and money out of pocket. Wasn't looking forward to that at all. NO TD1! All covered under warranty. They didn't detect the tune. The service synopsis said the following: Customer has U12 PT VERF CUST EXTENDED WARRANTY FOUND FAULT DTC P17D8 with symptom code 8040 MECHATRONICS CIRCUIT BOARD FAULTY As per TSB #2030477/6 REMOVED SUBFRAME CROSS BRACE. DRAINED TRANSMISSION OIL. REMOVED ATF PIPING. REMOVED TCM CONNECTOR REMOVED TRANS OIL PAN. REMOVED MECHATRONICS UNIT. REMOVED BOTH CIRCUIT BOARDS AND INSTALLED NEW ONES. REINSTALLED IN REVERSE ORDER FILLED TRANSMISSION CLEARED DTS AND TEST DROVE VEHICLE. They also performed a 24AS update - ECM Software Update (FED - EMS). Not sure what that was. Anybody know? All in one day. On the road by 5:00 PM. Drove it a week to ensure codes didn't return. Tomorrow I'm going back to NGP to return my car to hot-rod status. Couldn't believe how slow it was after the re-flash to OEM stock. Went from Hot Rod to No Rod. I can't believe the difference. The big thing I wanted to get across is how the re-flash to OEM stock worked with no resulting TD1. Also wanted to hear from one of you geniuses what they feel about how my mechatronics was repaired. I assumed they were going to replace the entire unit, not just replace circuit boards. It certainly seems to have worked but I'm not as much of an Audi geek as many here on this board!

Since the above I haven’t had a Mech problem. Worked like a champ. Maybe I got lucky. Hope so. I’ve ownwd the car since new (2010 S4) and have dealt pretty much with all the “normal” issues associated with this model. Let me know if you want to chat about it. Wayne

Last edited by wjhpilot; 01-27-2019 at 04:23 AM. Reason: Spelling

Quick Reply: TPMS + Gearbox Malfunction (No Reverse, Continue Driving) Error: Mechatronic Unit