S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Traded 2016 S6 for 2016 S4

Old 07-15-2015, 07:30 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Traded 2016 S6 for 2016 S4

So, my dealer received one of the first 2016 S4's off the truck today and I traded a 2016 S6 to get it...seriously. So happy I did too. No turbo lag, exceptionally sharp handling....can't wait to chip this one. If any of you are tempted by an S6 drive one first...a lot. Think of it more of an A6 with a bigger engine than a faster S4.
Old 07-15-2015, 09:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

S6 only makes sense if you need the interior space. IMVHO
Old 07-16-2015, 05:38 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

That's pretty much the conclusion I came too...a few less bells and whistles available on the S4 but that of course will change with the B9.
Old 07-16-2015, 06:46 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,065 Likes on 740 Posts

There used to be threads from people cross shopping the RS5 and the S6, because the engine performance is close on paper, even favoring the S6. They have pretty much stopped. I think most have figured out that the rest of the S6 isn't quite keeping up with that performance unless you drive in a straight line. The S6 is primarily designed to eat up Autobahn kilometers at triple digit speeds with no fuss and a group of people in tow. That's great if you live in Germany, but outside of Germany not so much. Tossing the S6 around mountain roads etc. shows that it isn't made for that. However, I think it's still a great car for a family that needs the room and for the dad to have some fun when wife and kids are not around.
Old 07-16-2015, 12:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by superswiss
There used to be threads from people cross shopping the RS5 and the S6, because the engine performance is close on paper, even favoring the S6. They have pretty much stopped. I think most have figured out that the rest of the S6 isn't quite keeping up with that performance unless you drive in a straight line. The S6 is primarily designed to eat up Autobahn kilometers at triple digit speeds with no fuss and a group of people in tow. That's great if you live in Germany, but outside of Germany not so much. Tossing the S6 around mountain roads etc. shows that it isn't made for that. However, I think it's still a great car for a family that needs the room and for the dad to have some fun when wife and kids are not around.
That's an excellent analysis. I was eaten alive on the Audizine boards for the decision. I would have loved an RS5 but for various reasons was limited to only Sedans. I'm considering tuning the S4 though hoping to get a little more juice out of it. Ultimately though, its way more fun to drive.
Old 07-16-2015, 07:02 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default What an odyssey you have been on...

… We love our S4. The RS5 is a joy as well, but the S4 has such balance. On my list of upgrades would be suspension tweaks and brakes to make it handle a bit sharper and stop better on long sections of twisty roads. On our loops in SoCal, we have mountains roads that string together 100+ miles of intoxicating mountain turns and straights. We find the S4 brakes get weak, squeal and fade, while the RS5 remains like a rock. If your routes are shorter you will likely never exceed the brake capacity. More power from the S4 is always nice, but you will have warrantee issues. The car has such great torque at low rpm's, which really helps the car fling itself from corner to corner. Upgrading power will likely shift the powerband north and the car will lose some of its tractability.

I am sure you will love the car,

Eric
Old 07-17-2015, 08:05 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I don't know why everyone loses their minds over the 4.0T. It's a luxury car motor, not a sports car motor. Sure, in $130k RS7 trim it's a monster of a car. Personally, I'd rather have it in a Bentley coupe. I don't think the S6 shares that.

I find the BMW 550 motor equally unimpressive, even murdered out with Dinan software. Just a big floaty, peaky motor.
Old 07-21-2015, 10:12 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
S6 only makes sense if you need the interior space. IMVHO
I actually agree the main reason I went with the S6 over S4 is because everyone in our family is tall so the space makes sense lol
Old 07-22-2015, 01:07 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The 4.0T is the least "turbo" feeling car I've ever owned. My S8 pulls hard from take off all the way to redline.

There is no perceivable turbo lag in any common sense of the phrase. I often forget it's turbo charged.

The 4.0T has twinscrolled turbo chargers so that is a HUGE difference in performance.

My fiancé's S4 is quite fast and it brought me to audi. But a fire breathing S8 it is not.
Old 07-22-2015, 07:34 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 247 Likes on 183 Posts

Originally Posted by Ravill
The 4.0T is the least "turbo" feeling car I've ever owned. My S8 pulls hard from take off all the way to redline.

There is no perceivable turbo lag in any common sense of the phrase. I often forget it's turbo charged.

The 4.0T has twinscrolled turbo chargers so that is a HUGE difference in performance.

My fiancé's S4 is quite fast and it brought me to audi. But a fire breathing S8 it is not.
I test drove a 2013 S6, when they came out & it felt like a slug coming off the line, seemed to finally get some power at about 50mph. Maybe it was one of the cars with the TSB throttle delay issue?

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Traded 2016 S6 for 2016 S4