AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Transmission Poll: What would you recommend? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/transmission-poll-what-would-you-recommend-2824333/)

sakimano 03-29-2012 05:56 AM

Transmission Poll: What would you recommend?

So I'm constantly telling people who ask me 'what new car should I get' to grab a new B8 S4, however on the topic of transmission, I'm stumped.

For enthusiasts I've recommended the MT6
For track day junkies, I've recommended the DSG
For everyone else, I've recommended the DSG (these are folks who will never mod their car and in some cases can't even drive a manual).

So I ask: what would you do if you had to do it again? I've made a bunch of answer options. We know already that about 65-75% are DSG...but would they do it over?

KiLLaApp 03-29-2012 06:04 AM

If you promise it doesn't leave the interwebs, I'd go DSG if I could do it all over again. Perhaps there is something wrong with my clutch but the slip with stage 2 is pretty bad. If I go hard from the launch I'll shift into second and/or third and the car will go into a "limp mode" where the clutch doesn't engage. RPMs climb, MPH drops, and I have to go to neutral for a second and then re-engage the gear. The burning smell afterwards is horrendous. To say it's annoying is an understatement.

I know DSG cars have their issues, but I'd rather deal with a shifting "hiccup" than a clutch that can't engage under spirited driving.

TO407S4 03-29-2012 06:30 AM

I almost agree with sakimano but I love manual and I've already modded my car. My main reason for using DSG (and loving it) is simply because my wife cannot drive a manual transmission and this is my daily driver. Toronto traffic is horrific and 8 lanes on a highway hardly moving... with a MT just adds to the frustration. Leave a gap and watch someone cut in...

m444 03-29-2012 07:11 AM

DSG works for me.

Some people will always choose a transmission that has the option of automatic shifting. Some people don't want to deal with the left pedal for medical reasons.

Sure the 6MT is fun, but like a loud exhaust, it can get old.

sakimano 03-29-2012 07:12 AM

Originally Posted by KiLLaApp (Post 24281232)
If you promise it doesn't leave the interwebs, I'd go DSG if I could do it all over again. Perhaps there is something wrong with my clutch but the slip with stage 2 is pretty bad. If I go hard from the launch I'll shift into second and/or third and the car will go into a "limp mode" where the clutch doesn't engage. RPMs climb, MPH drops, and I have to go to neutral for a second and then re-engage the gear. The burning smell afterwards is horrendous. To say it's annoying is an understatement.

I know DSG cars have their issues, but I'd rather deal with a shifting "hiccup" than a clutch that can't engage under spirited driving.

that's odd...haven't heard about that. Richib86 had a slipping clutch issue but it turned out not to be his clutch failing to grab, but something leaking fluid onto it and acting as a lubricant (where you want the opposite lol).

Of course your traction control is all the way off right? Even going from 2nd into 3rd WOT my RS4 will kick traction control on, which feels a lot like you're describing...a momentary loss of power (but without any RPM spike).

dmbcrew36 03-29-2012 07:22 AM

Currently driving a 6MT 2009 VW GLI.

Placing my order next week for 2013 Audi S4.

I won't even consider getting an automatic (DSG).

KiLLaApp 03-29-2012 07:58 AM

Saki, traction control is all the way off (5 seconds until i see the second message) and this is different, I believe, because the RPMs will shoot to redline as the car decelerates (with a traction control issue the RPMs would usually drop until traction is regained, right?).

I dropped the car off at Audi this morning to see if they can figure it out, fully realizing that I'll get a TD1 flag and they won't do anything to fix it, but perhaps then I can take the diagnosis elsewhere.

Originally Posted by sakimano (Post 24281269)
that's odd...haven't heard about that. Richib86 had a slipping clutch issue but it turned out not to be his clutch failing to grab, but something leaking fluid onto it and acting as a lubricant (where you want the opposite lol).

Of course your traction control is all the way off right? Even going from 2nd into 3rd WOT my RS4 will kick traction control on, which feels a lot like you're describing...a momentary loss of power (but without any RPM spike).

no cell 03-29-2012 08:13 AM

Stupid poll. It's the same as people asking what color they should buy or what wheel looks best. People should buy the trans THEY want and that suits THEIR situation, not what others recommend.

With that said, for me MT6 always (unless I was to get a new 991 in which case it would be MT7)

Huey52 03-29-2012 08:39 AM

Right now you stand at 54% for DSG (which I feel is a remarkable transmission, even having had a number of sports MT's).

NABS4 03-29-2012 09:06 AM

I have no doubt that the DSG is faster off the line, but I appreciate the relative simplicity of the 6MT. It's a good gearbox and it works for me. No regrets.