S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Is it possible to disconnect speedometer/odometer wires from engine/transmission?

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2020, 10:24 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Is it possible to disconnect speedometer/odometer wires from engine/transmission?

I'm in the market for either an S4 or a couple other vehicles with the 3.0T so IDK what forum to post this question in. I ask this question because I know most VW's had a cable that plugged into the engine or transmission and if you unplugged it, the car still drove fine but you just didn't have the speedomoter working (you can tell speed via tachometer & knowing what gear you are in - it's pretty easy TBH). I knew someone who found this out when he broke the connection taking off the plug and he was able to drive the car until he could get it repaired.

Since VW & Audi share a lot of parts & engineering, I was wondering if this is an issue with Audi's as well. As I said, I'm mainly worried about B8 S4's (Type K -2009-20116) and B8 Q5's (post 2012 facelift - B8 Type 8R - all with automatic transmissions - S4 w/ seven-speed 'S tronic' DL501 & Q5 with 8-speed Tiptronic.

I was surprised that there was never a fault code on the VW's when the cable was disconnected & driven, so I'm just wondering if this is something I need to be aware of while looking at these vehicles.

I'm disgusted that I have to even worry about this. I found a device that is specifically for this and there is an thread on this forum discussing it (I think it should be removed TBH).

https://mileageblocker.com/find-your...on/v/AUD-Q7-Q5

Post on Audiworld:
https://www.audiworld.com/forums/par...odels-2949132/

If anyone knows of a way to tell something like this might have been done, either this mod, or just unplugging I'd appreciate it. IDK if there is a way to tell total number of hours engine was running (would be best if it could be broken down in time frames - like 1000 hours in 1 year, but only 1500 miles driven).

Are there any other things I should be really looking for before deciding on a car to buy? I am getting an Audi dealership to do a pre-sale inspection, I guess I can ask them to pull any data from the car's computer or something.

Thanks for any help you can provide!