trunk won't open - AudiWorld Forums

Notices
S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

trunk won't open

Old 04-07-2011, 07:53 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default trunk won't open

The other day my dad kind of closed the trunk weird. It's like he was trying to do it gently and not touch the paint, and maybe he half closed it or something. Anyway, I'm not sure but I may have opened it again after that. Last night I was at the airport and I couldn't get it open with the remote button or the trunk button on the driver's side door. I was able to crawl in the trunk and open it with the child emergency latch. But no dice on the auto-open.

I guess I have to bring it in and have them fix it under warranty?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:31 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

this happened to me as well (key wouldn't work, switch on door wouldn't work)...I took it in to the dealer and for some reason the valet mode had been switched on (I do not remember ever hitting the button but but c'est la vie). Check in your glove box and see if this is not the case.
Old 04-07-2011, 08:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by westwest888 View Post
The other day my dad kind of closed the trunk weird. It's like he was trying to do it gently and not touch the paint, and maybe he half closed it or something. Anyway, I'm not sure but I may have opened it again after that. Last night I was at the airport and I couldn't get it open with the remote button or the trunk button on the driver's side door. I was able to crawl in the trunk and open it with the child emergency latch. But no dice on the auto-open.

I guess I have to bring it in and have them fix it under warranty?
don't know if this will help you, but right after i picked up my car from the dealer when i purchased it, i had a similar issue. the trunk opened normally for the first day but then became inaccesible. i could not open the trunk with the remote, the button release in the door or with the trunk lid release. eventually i checked in the owners manual and found a valet function button in the glove box that secures the trunk from unauthorized access. check to see if that solves your problem. still have not figured out what activated that function on my car but its all ok now. hope that works for you like it did for me
Old 04-08-2011, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Yeah it was the valet. Strange. I can't see that button from the driver's seat because it's too far under. In my BMW, you had to use a key to go to valet mode. The button is error prone...

Wish it had a warning on the dash like "no, valet".
Old 10-08-2013, 06:44 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Thanks so much. I just had the same problem. I had a funny feeling it was something simple! Appreciate it!
Old 10-09-2013, 02:41 AM
AudiWorld Member

When the Valet button is activated there is a warning, or more exact a message that appears at startup informing you that the Valet mode has been turned on.