AudiWorld Forums

AudiWorld Forums (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/)
-   S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/)
-   -   Tuning/mod'g - Worth it? (https://www.audiworld.com/forums/s4-b8-platform-discussion-134/tuning-modg-worth-2812965/)

kedvesh 09-13-2011 08:09 AM

Tuning/mod'g - Worth it?

Considering some level of Stasis tune, etc. on any new/CPOd S4 I might purchase.

For those of you who have done it, is it worth the time, trouble, cost and effort? Would love to have a MPG benefit on top of a performance boost if an authorized, warrantied tune would help.

Something else to ponder: tune/chip only or a Stasis Touring Package? It only seems to be a $5k difference and is only money, right? (Someone please slap me upside the head!)

Notes:
1) Operating environment = mostly work/DD with the odd foray to a HPDE or track day.
2) A 2012 S4 I test drove the other day seemed pretty darn impressive right out of the box!
3) I've already had recurring bouts of and my wallet has already suffered through both track day and mod fever WRT my current fun car, a Corvette C5. It is now more track happy than traffic happy. The idea with this S4 is to leave it stock or possibly go with something that wasn't too invasive (i.e., not opening up the engine, etc.)

PsYkHoTiK 09-13-2011 08:15 AM

APR flash! :) Better longevity for future mods (the pulley is totally worth it too).

Totally worth it. The general rule of thumb is that it uses the same amount/slightly less fuel to make more power.

urojohn 09-13-2011 08:49 AM

Agree, totally worth it and still a great daily driver. don't expect much change in MPG especially since it is so much more fun to drive that I think I push it more

snoroller 09-13-2011 09:41 AM

Hard to say, man. I also have a C5, but its mods are limited to sways, brakes, wheels, tunnel plate, intake. My b8s4 uses are pretty similar to yours it seems, with the exception that I'm at 7000' and it snowed 32' at the house last winter.

I did get a Stasis tune (big mistake given my elevation, not an issue for you) and installed sways the other week. If you want a kushy ride, then sways are not the best call, but maybe like you, after driving the vette, the s4 just rolls way too much around corners. Sways fixed that for sure and my plans for coilovers are now on hold. Its a rougher ride, but definitely nowhere as harsh as the vette. The tune is a tough call. If you keep it revved below 5k then its not worth the cost, but if you want more hp then do it. As you know hp is addictive so maybe wait till you get used to the great stock power then upgrade later?

I was leasing (am leasing, but will buy it out) so I went Stasis ecu for the (warranty). Am also a bit leery of stage 2 apr /pulley since it's gotta put more strain on the engine and I drive it pretty hard as it is. Want to keep the car for a while without major repairs in 7 years... Maybe not a factor.

Hope this helps!
-Tim

PsYkHoTiK 09-13-2011 09:48 AM

I don't think anyone with the pulley drives it "slow"... ;)

I drove it as hard as I can each track day I go to and do at least 1-2 WOT runs a day.

snoroller 09-13-2011 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK (Post 24196475)

I drove it as hard as I can each track day I go to and do at least 1-2 WOT runs a day.

Yeah totally, hahaha. :)

ZCD2.7T 09-13-2011 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by kedvesh (Post 24196433)
Considering some level of Stasis tune, etc. on any new/CPOd S4 I might purchase.

For those of you who have done it, is it worth the time, trouble, cost and effort?

My car has the STaSIS tune and Touring suspension. I think the mods are well worth the investment, based on what you describe as your intended uses.

pbcsd 09-14-2011 04:51 AM

Won't the APR mod nullify the warranty on the car? Almost bought a Stasis modded car, but decided against it last minute as it didn't have Nav/B&O and I kept thinking "I drive in one of the worst traffic cities in North America on one of the worst roads, do I care if I get to it 0.5 seconds quicker" :D.

Foogie 09-14-2011 12:20 PM

Hey man how do you like the APR exhaust? I've watched that long video on Youtube a hundred times. Under normal driving is it not instrusive? I'm leaning toward that when I get mine but wanted to get some real opinions on it.

Originally Posted by PsYkHoTiK (Post 24196475)

NWS4Guy 09-14-2011 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by pbcsd (Post 24196882)
Won't the APR mod nullify the warranty on the car?

No, because for one Audi will not know about it, and for another, they cannot specifically say "we are voiding your warranty" when the changes done have not caused any problems.