S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Update Navigation Maps

Old 10-18-2013, 10:52 AM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Mike
That's what the service consultant said in his email reply to me, he had to check with the parts department. I'll probably have to contact the parts department directly to see what they say.
Yeh it is a bit strange with my older cars they used to send me something in the mail regarding nav updates. For this car I have not received any such mail.
Old 10-18-2013, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DrGP
So if you really want or need it, you might get a bunch of owners (from the forums) to chip in and pass the CD around. Just a thought. Kinda like a group buy. The more that want it, the less it should cost. I assume you can load the upadate an unlimited amount of times. Or buy it and resell it on Ebay.
Haven't tried on my Q5, but on my Acura, the Nav is on a DVD. It updated maps and points of interests only, not the actual software interface. And the disc CANNOT be duplicated. I've tried multiple times with different rippers. Even searched the web. And the disc has to stay in the Nav DVD drive in your vehicle for it to work. You can't just do an upload and remove the disc. It will not work without it. Again, this is how it works with Acura.
Old 10-18-2013, 01:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by gk1
Yeh it is a bit strange with my older cars they used to send me something in the mail regarding nav updates. For this car I have not received any such mail.
Ditto here. Almost 4 years of ownership and have yet to receive a Nav update offer.
Old 10-19-2013, 08:18 AM
Banned

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BigBluu
Haven't tried on my Q5, but on my Acura, the Nav is on a DVD. It updated maps and points of interests only, not the actual software interface. And the disc CANNOT be duplicated. I've tried multiple times with different rippers. Even searched the web. And the disc has to stay in the Nav DVD drive in your vehicle for it to work. You can't just do an upload and remove the disc. It will not work without it. Again, this is how it works with Acura.
Disc does not have to remain in the CD drive for my Lexus to work. No disc currently in my S4 to make it work either.
Old 10-19-2013, 10:52 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by DrGP
So if you really want or need it, you might get a bunch of owners (from the forums) to chip in and pass the CD around. Just a thought. Kinda like a group buy. The more that want it, the less it should cost. I assume you can load the upadate an unlimited amount of times. Or buy it and resell it on Ebay.
Supposedly it's on an encrypted SD card and is done while you're at the dealer. There are some additional hooks to their systems to prevent you from applying it yourself even if you had access to the SD card.
Old 10-19-2013, 11:03 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by BigBluu
It probably can be duplicated. You'd need to figure out what type of protection it has and then take the appropriate steps to bypass them. Sat nav discs don't seem to have caught the interested of the "hacker" community, so there is little information out there and they remain uncopyable for now.

However, it is also possible that it can't be duplicated on a recordable disc. The system could simply determine if the disc is a pressed disc or a recordable disc and simply refuse to do anything with the latter. You can't make a 1:1 bit for bit DVD copy on a recordable disc. It's impossible since there are areas on the disc that drives can read from pressed discs that aren't writable areas on recordable blanks.
Old 10-23-2013, 12:40 PM
AudiWorld Member

Hey guys,

My dealer quoted me $286.00 for an updated Navigation Disc--is that correct? Is there any other way to update the maps?

Thanks
Just spoke with my dealer and they quoted $265 for the new CD plus installation! Service then quoted an additional $110 installation plus tax which totals to almost $400! Yikes.......better plan on keeping the car for a long time to amortize that!
Old 10-23-2013, 01:21 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Originally Posted by ninjajack
Just spoke with my dealer and they quoted $265 for the new CD plus installation! Service then quoted an additional $110 installation plus tax which totals to almost $400! Yikes.......better plan on keeping the car for a long time to amortize that!
Wow, what a ripoff! That's insane...totally not worth it unless you drive somewhere new every day.
Old 10-24-2013, 11:18 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm confused as to why you'd need the dealership to install the update since there is a customer update option right within the MMI.

If you have access to the hidden MMI menu there are even more upgrade options. As well as backup options I'd be interested in an update next year. Seeing as big cities are often changing their infrastructure.
Old 10-24-2013, 12:22 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Wow, what a ripoff! That's insane...totally not worth it unless you drive somewhere new every day.
Try navdvds.com I updated the navigation on my q7 via the cd shipped from their site and it cost me around 50$

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Update Navigation Maps