S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Waterless car wash products

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-2012, 09:06 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a fan of Adams Detail Spray. I buy the refills and put it into an atomizer (I think that's what it's called) and it created a fine mist which works really good. Not to mention it smells really good.. not that that matters I guess, but the garage smells good.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:52 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ayk
I've used a couple different brands. I caught a deal of some waterless wash from Griot's garage and it's served me well. Can't say if one brand is better than another. I will say that the Griot's garage stuff smells good though

Like you said, price is probably the main factor
Yes, it does have a really sweet smell. The soft towels that Griots includes with the car wash kit also seem very good at removing the surface dirt and keeping it from falling back onto the paint.
Old 02-04-2012, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Exactly how dirty are you cars when you're using these waterless car wash products to clean them? Got any before and after pictures?
Old 02-04-2012, 06:31 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

yes! please do show pics if possible. I live in a condo so I park in a garage with other people. Probably just bring my car to get it washed most of my time but the waterless wash sounds cool.

Originally Posted by Stereodude
Exactly how dirty are you cars when you're using these waterless car wash products to clean them? Got any before and after pictures?
Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 PM
AudiWorld Member

For the waterless wash, I think you'd limit it to cleaning airborn dust and the film of exhaust and other crap from city driving. For the rinseless wash, which uses a bucket and a sponge, but no hose, it can probably be a tad dirtier since you have more fluid to float the dust/dirt away. If you've got splashed dirt or mud on the car, a full wash is best.

Here's a video showing rinseless vs waterless technique:
http://www.autogeek.net/waterless-ca...-products.html
along with a bazillion different product links.

I use a 2-gallon pump sprayer (the kind you get at home depot or wherever, normally you'd buy them to spray herbicides) if I want to just clean the wheels and not get the rest of the car wet. You could probably use one for the full car if you live in an apartment, but probably need to refill it once or twice. One nice thing about a pump sprayer is you can fill it with hot water, which cleans better.
Old 03-25-2012, 10:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ended up going with Ultima Waterless Wash +
http://www.autogeek.net/ultima-water...ncentrate.html

which can be used as a waterless wash, rinseless wash, or a quick detailer. Normally, the "jack of all trades" products don't work out so well, but the reviews I read were so good I thought I'd try it.

So far, very impressed. I've used it as a waterless wash (when the car is just dusty, including the brake dust splatter I mentioned in another thread) and a quick detailer. For waterless wash, you mix 1/2 ounce of product with water to make 22 ounces in a spray bottle. It goes a long way from the spray bottle so it should last quite a while. Haven't tried it as a rinseless wash yet.
Old 06-04-2015, 10:59 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Default CA drought and lessons learned!

I live in Los Angeles, CA -- & We face some serious fines for water over usage because of drought...

Anyways, I conducted my own little (video) experiment on waterless car wash products. It seems like Griots is a favorite, but I am cautious with the whole concept.

Watch me rant & test a "no name" brand:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YG6l0uPLPSQ

Originally Posted by EF99
Anyone use the waterless or rinseless car wash products?

Any preference on brand (there are dozens) or on waterless vs rinseless? Thought I might give one a try. Maybe they're all about equal and you just shop based on price?
Old 06-05-2015, 03:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Yaya, I suspect that Optimum's product, referred to as ONR, is the granddaddy of these water-conserving washes. That, and a product called QEW, have been around a long time and have a lot of users - - pros and the home user. We will see more widespread use of these products as water becomes more precious.

Take a look at the Garry Dean wash method: https://youtu.be/ws59CEYUpC0

I think you could substitute your preferred product for the one he uses. His technique is obviously very good when it comes to conservation. Garry's got a bunch of other instructional videos.

You've got the advantage of being in a relatively clean environment. We have to deal with sand, salt and other heinous stuff they apply to our roads in winter. Technique and patience play an important role in keeping your car's surface mar-free.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:27 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RCM09
I also use nothing but Optimum No Rinse. Never had any marring issues. I use the 2 bucket method.I use water from my RO unit,2 gls in my ONR bucket and about 3 gls in my rinse bucket. If it's really dirty I have an ONR mix in a sprayer and I'll do a pre soak. Never an issue with spotting or water dripping out from every where.
+1 That's exactly the way to use it.
Old 06-05-2015, 05:44 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I've always been skeptical of these products, until I got a black car. I live in a city loft, no covered parking and no water access. Anyway, I began using chemical guys eco wash. As a two bucket method, a waterless method in a spray bottle, and as a quick detailer. But I never let the car get really dirty between washes, so it's always been very light dust to moderate grime I'm washing off. Occasionally it gets an old fashioned hand job at my parents house if it's overcast and cool enough to do so.

Quick Reply: Waterless car wash products