S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

What do you guys clean the exhaust pipes with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2010, 07:10 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 33 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by drrick89
But, they did a *great* job on the mirrors, wheels, and other silver bits! Success!!!
Your mirrors, wheels and trim are not stainless steel or bare metal. I'd strongly advise not using any metal cleaner or polish on them.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The Blue Magic Polish is more for shining up and removing oxidation. I'm not sure if it will work with caked on soot on the tailpipes.
Old 03-30-2010, 08:26 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Zed 2.0
Your mirrors, wheels and trim are not stainless steel or bare metal. I'd strongly advise not using any metal cleaner or polish on them.
Agreed, or at least check the label on the stuff you are using to be sure it's safe for other materials like you are using this on. The trim is chrome, the wheels are clearcoated with an enamal, and the mirror caps are not even aluminum, just that color.
Old 03-30-2010, 04:19 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Understood. I just wiped the mirrors once or twice with one of the pads, wiped it off with a seperate towel and didn't use any polishing motion. But, I might try some of that Sonax Wheel Cleaner on the wheels recommmended by NWS4Guy - as they actually used 19" Trispokes in their demo photos!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:26 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Default Blue Magic 400 Metal Polish Cream ordered this morning

Thankfully, ShadowJet left a link for the polish and I ordered some this morning. Should get it by the end of the week and I'll post results of my battle with the pipes this weekend!
Old 03-30-2010, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Not to derail, but the Sonex is amazing stuff, sincerely.

Yes Phil at Detailers Domain used it on his S4 tri spoke 19's you can see they look incredible afterwards, especially considering that it was 4-5 weeks of Northeast snow and crap before he used it, with only a power wash to knock off the loose bits before applying.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Understood. I just wiped the mirrors once or twice with one of the pads, wiped it off with a seperate towel and didn't use any polishing motion. But, I might try some of that Sonax Wheel Cleaner on the wheels recommmended by NWS4Guy - as they actually used 19" Trispokes in their demo photos!
I'd worry about the chemical cleaners having an effect on the clearcoat/plasticoat on the mirror. Clean the mirrors just like you would your paint.
Old 03-30-2010, 07:58 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I'd worry about the chemical cleaners having an effect on the clearcoat/plasticoat on the mirror. Clean the mirrors just like you would your paint.
Alright, I'll leave the mirrors alone. But, I can clean the wheels and pipes, right?
Old 03-30-2010, 08:22 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Alright, I'll leave the mirrors alone. But, I can clean the wheels and pipes, right?
Wheels are also painted and clearcoated. The pipes are just pipes.
Old 03-31-2010, 01:09 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by legbend
Wheel brush and Optimum No Rinse. Theyre not spotless or anything, but I do it pretty consistently.
IF the wheels are coated with any type of clearcoat (paint), I would strongly advise against the use of any type of brush on them....it might not show at first, but eventually I'd say that the finish would suffer. If I was dealing with an older car, (which I presently am) ...no worries.. When I finally do get something new......I would never even consider it ! Exhaust is one thing, but the finish on wheels can be more vulnerable ........At least that's what I've found in the past. If things are that different now, I will stand corrected.

Quick Reply: What do you guys clean the exhaust pipes with?