S4 (B8 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B8 Audi S4 produced from 2009-2016

Wife Now Wants an Additional Audi

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-2014, 06:48 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

3.5 hours away would probably rule out the Macan for me. Good luck with whatever you choose.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:32 AM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by PhilNotHill
Put the Outback 2.5XT manual transmission in storage for the summer last Sunday, so the wife has been forced to drive the S4 daily.

Today she told me that we should replace the Outback with another Audi.

My wife wants to upgrade her 2001 allroad to a new audi and cargo space is a really big issue. The only thing they sell in the US that's even remotely as utilitarian is the Q7 which is just simply ridiculous. Of course she wants a Q7 but there's no way it can fit in my garage. Not to mention the $60K price tag and the $100 fill ups. I've been trying to talk her into an outback actually.

So my thought is keep the outback, put another 60K on it. Or get a new outback. With Audi you are going to pay double for a car that you probably aren't going to be all that happy with. Or wait for A6 avants to go on sale again.
Old 05-10-2014, 04:15 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by Bobby Kinstle
My wife wants to upgrade her 2001 allroad to a new audi and cargo space is a really big issue. The only thing they sell in the US that's even remotely as utilitarian is the Q7 which is just simply ridiculous. Of course she wants a Q7 but there's no way it can fit in my garage. Not to mention the $60K price tag and the $100 fill ups. I've been trying to talk her into an outback actually.

So my thought is keep the outback, put another 60K on it. Or get a new outback. With Audi you are going to pay double for a car that you probably aren't going to be all that happy with. Or wait for A6 avants to go on sale again.
We looked at the new Forester with 2.5 Turbo engine. but it only had a continuously variable transmission (hated the CVT) and my wife will only drive a manual.

we needed AWD for winter. the only car that had enough power to go up the mountains and would be fun to drive is the Audi S4. Traded in the old 2004 Forester with 95k miles and a 5 spd MT which she loved. Now she wants to know when we can trade in the 2009 Outback with a 5 spd MT and get another Audi.

Of course the Audi is more expensive but we got a 4 yr 1.99% fixed rate loan which we can easily earn more than so it wasn't very painful financially.

Wife believes that the S4 with the fold down seats will have plenty of storage for us. It will be interesting to see if we have to pull the Outback out of storage until next winter.

I am really afraid that the days of getting a car which will do under 5 sec 0-60 with a manual transmission are numbered in the US.

Best

Last edited by PhilNotHill; 05-10-2014 at 04:18 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 08:37 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

my wife will only drive a manual. we needed AWD for winter.
Inifiniti QX series SUV's are also powerful and practical and quite a bit better value than the audi's though no manual transmission. That requirement really limits your choices as the target market for those cars is mainly soccer moms who can't shift.

Really you want an A/S6 avant

Wife believes that the S4 with the fold down seats will have plenty of storage for us.
I did just put a 60" TV in the trunk my of S4...

Last edited by Bobby Kinstle; 05-10-2014 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-10-2014, 09:11 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 36 Likes on 18 Posts

Put the Outback 2.5XT manual transmission in storage for the summer last Sunday, so the wife has been forced to drive the S4 daily.

Today she told me that we should replace the Outback with another Audi.

I believe we should wait and see how many service problems we have. the Outback with 60k miles has been flawless.

And then there is the question of what additional Audi would we want.

would we need an SQ5 for storage capacity? Not as much fun to drive as S4
. The outback has alot more storage. We will see this summer if we will miss that.

Would we get a convertible? I would like to hold out for a hard top convertible. Will Audi ever make one? the RS5 convertible looks interesting to me but it seems that Audi convertibles with big engines do not come with a stick shift. Plus we already have two convertibles...one with a soft top and one with a hard top but they are for summer. wife would like to have a convertible to drive all year round...but she will not drive a car that isn't a manual transmission.

Having one hard top convertible and one soft top convertible the hardtop version is the only way to go. quieter and less cowl shake with the top up. It is truly like having two cars in one.

And it seems prudent to wait until February when the convertible 4 year note will be paid off. then we can think about getting another note on a new car if the interest rate is right...1.99% works for me like we have on the S4.

Yes, we could take on another payment for a few months but seeing what the newer model would have to offer might be prudent.

Thoughts?
I bought my wife a 2013 allroad because she really liked my 2010 S4 but wanted utility. She Loves her allroad and we found ourselves taking the allroad more and more when we travel together.
She Loves the allroad and I really like it also
Attached Images    
Old 05-11-2014, 06:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Interesting. My spouse only drives a manual, and also has a OBXT 5MT. I always wondered where she goes during the day...

Our OBXT has also been flawless, but she has designs on Audi as well. After driving my RS4, she asked, "does this come in a wagon?"

Not too many manual wagons or sporty UV's out there...
Old 05-11-2014, 08:06 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RickFLS4
I don't think it's too far off an SQ5. Maybe I'm wrong. Probably depends on how many of those Porsche option boxes you check...
Yeah P-cars definitely have way too many check boxes, and most of them should not be separate from a package IMO. I know that from having a Cayman S in the past but that was a lot of fun to drive I just wish PDK was an option at the time.
Old 05-12-2014, 08:07 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Getting a Macan for my spouse here soon as well. PASM? What is your wife going to be tracking the car? You won't use a lot of the stuff you put in there, and as has been said, go with packages, ala carte will kill you on a P-car.
Old 05-12-2014, 05:18 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by NWS4Guy
Getting a Macan for my spouse here soon as well. PASM? What is your wife going to be tracking the car? You won't use a lot of the stuff you put in there, and as has been said, go with packages, ala carte will kill you on a P-car.
Well even if not tracking the car, I would suggest getting the PASM as an option.
Old 05-12-2014, 07:45 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

We are a 12 ring family now, I bought a 2014 S4, daughter loved it so we found her a solid used '04 A4, believe it or not it was less expensive to insure for a 17yo for any other cars we considered in the $5k price range.
My Wife loved both cars and replaced her car with a Misano Red A5 Comp pkg 2wks ago.