S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

$2000 Deposit?!

Old 04-28-2017, 04:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

Being a big corporate run dealership (as opposed to a family run dealership), that might be the policy Sonic puts out to it's dealers.

If you already have a good working relationship with this dealer, and you know you will be taking delivery of the new car, I do not know that I would make a big deal about the deposit. I mean how much interest are you going to lose over the 90 days? Is it really worth having this issue put a strain on the process? To me it would not, especially since the deposit would be put towards the purchase of the car (unless it is going to be a lease, in which case I would want that back at delivery since I can't imagine you would be putting that much down on a lease).
Old 04-28-2017, 05:54 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
If you already have a good working relationship with this dealer, and you know you will be taking delivery of the new car, I do not know that I would make a big deal about the deposit. I mean how much interest are you going to lose over the 90 days?
Honestly, is isn't about the money, and it sure as hell isn't about the interest ('cause ain't nobody paying interest anyway). This is a principle thing for me. Here are my points:

1) If the deposit is refundable anyway, what's the point?
2) If they are taking a beating by selling me the car on the cheap, and they make more money if I back out - then what's the point? (Again, not ordering ANYTHING unusual here)
3) At what point does one get afforded some modicum of respect/trust/[insert your chosen word here] when they approach a dealer COLD and say, "please order this". I wasn't some fly they found meandering around the lot one afternoon that they convinced to purchase a car with the old "What's stopping you from buying a car today?" line.

Also, don't misunderstand me... this is NOT one of those situations where I feel 'entitled' to something and I demand my respect. I'm not into that. I just don't like participating in things that are pointless in the first place and just happen because nobody ever stops and considers... 'Why are we doing this?'

Last edited by Talbot; 04-28-2017 at 06:00 AM.
Old 04-28-2017, 06:28 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

When I ordered my S5 in Feburary, the dealer wanted a $2500 non-refundable deposit.

I 'negotiated' it down to a $1000 refundable deposit.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:51 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I stand by what I said above, but to add to that, just tell the dealer it's not your fault that the dealer does not have what you want in stock. Remember, it's all a sales ploy. They can demand it and you can say no. I one had a dealer ask me for $20 (granted that was many years ago). They just want a phychological commitment. BTW, I gave it to him but went back the next day and got it back.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:11 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

I ordered from a Sonic dealer from whom I've never bought a car and they only asked for a $500 deposit. That car will have the Alcantara seats, so may not be as easy to sell as the typical nappa leather configurations. $2000 seems a little egregious
Old 04-28-2017, 08:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

what is the big deal about putting money down on a car that you have worked a deal on and you want! esp if its refundable. Life is to short
Old 05-02-2017, 01:25 PM
AudiWorld Member

I never want to unduly tarnish anyone's reputation, so I'm posting my followup to this thread - in full disclosure.

Today we finally got around to the deposit. The dealership sent me a generic credit card authorization form which had no terms of agreement or even $ amount associated with it. It could have been an authorization to charge a CC for anything and for any amount. I politely asked if their 'normal customer' just willingly filled out that form and returned it - without any terms, conditions, $ amount, purpose, etc.

The sales manager answered back, "Well, we don't want to make you uncomfortable, so we will just order the car without any deposit."

Good answer.
Old 05-02-2017, 03:53 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Talbot
I never want to unduly tarnish anyone's reputation, so I'm posting my followup to this thread - in full disclosure.

Today we finally got around to the deposit. The dealership sent me a generic credit card authorization form which had no terms of agreement or even $ amount associated with it. It could have been an authorization to charge a CC for anything and for any amount. I politely asked if their 'normal customer' just willingly filled out that form and returned it - without any terms, conditions, $ amount, purpose, etc.

The sales manager answered back, "Well, we don't want to make you uncomfortable, so we will just order the car without any deposit."

Good answer.
Perfect!
Old 05-02-2017, 07:49 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Including loyalty discount I got $4K off mine. Don't believe dealer BS.
Old 05-05-2017, 07:59 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

I've never put down a deposit. As you said if it's refundable then what's the point.

LOL at a dealer asking for a non-refundable deposit. Just LOL.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: $2000 Deposit?!