S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

'18 S4 leather/seats quality?

Search this Thread

Old 09-19-2018, 08:57 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default '18 S4 leather/seats quality?

hello!
so, I had my S4 since Dec of the last year, currently 6,5km (4k miles) on it, a few months ago I noticed unusual marks on thighs cushion extension. during dealership visit back in May, I pointed it out to my SA and they took some photos and contacted Audi, but their response was it's a normal tear and wear

a bit unusual to see this in a premium German brand, this is my first Audi but I had a few other luxury brands and never seen anything like this on a brand new ride

does anyone else noticed something like this?

I suck at taking pics but it should give you an idea, it's a bit worse in person actually
Old 09-19-2018, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeahh I'm getting the same thing on my Magma Red seats too. The thigh support cushions have wrinkles like that, and the side bolsters are getting some too from getting in and out of the car. I do find it a little surprising the leather is wrinkling this quickly and that much. I kinda doubt Audi will do anything about and would just claim it as "wear and tear" so i haven't really bothered bringing it up to them. What I bought are those window sunshades to help protect the interior, especially the leather, from sun damage. Plus it keeps the inside much cooler lol. Not much I could recommend on my end but just protecting and taking care of the seats a little more proactively, its what im doing. Hopefully it pays off
Old 09-19-2018, 11:54 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

All leather does this. It is a natural material that creases and develops a patina as it ages and wears. Audi takes steps (as does every other auto manufacturer) to apply a sealent to the leather so that it is more resistant to discoloration, stains, water absorption, drying/rot, UV damage etc and to try and design the structure/seams/stitching of the leather in such a way that deformation of it is minimized, but at the end of the day it is a natural material that creases and patinas with age, just like a good pair of dress shoes or a leather jacket or a wallet or any other leather product that is subject to deformation.

Properly cleaning the leather and applying a conditioner, as well as taking steps to prevent undue and prolonged UV exposure, will help prevent the natural aging and wear of leather from becoming a "problem" e.g. cracking/tearing/stiffness/fading, as will making sure you aren't scooting in/out in such a way to put all your weight on that outside bolster to fully and completely squish it when you get in and out of the car, but no matter what you do those creases are always going to happen to some degree just like how the vamp gets creased immediately when you take your first 100-200 steps in a brand new pair of Allen Edmonds.

If this is unacceptable then I hate to say it but buying a car with fine leather seating surfaces is probably not for you.

Audi does offer a partial alcantara on the B9 S4 but I believe the thigh bolsters are still leather across all trims even with that option, unlike on some comparable cars such as the Kia Stinger which has leather side bolsters but the butt+thigh support is fabric, or the C43 AMG which can be had with alcantara in the butt & thigh.
Old 09-20-2018, 11:39 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Yeah I've had this happen one every car I've owned with leather seats (Audi or otherwise). It's normal wear and tear.
Old 09-24-2018, 03:58 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by mplsbrian
All leather does this. It is a natural material that creases and develops a patina as it ages and wears. Audi takes steps (as does every other auto manufacturer) to apply a sealent to the leather so that it is more resistant to discoloration, stains, water absorption, drying/rot, UV damage etc and to try and design the structure/seams/stitching of the leather in such a way that deformation of it is minimized, but at the end of the day it is a natural material that creases and patinas with age, just like a good pair of dress shoes or a leather jacket or a wallet or any other leather product that is subject to deformation.

Properly cleaning the leather and applying a conditioner, as well as taking steps to prevent undue and prolonged UV exposure, will help prevent the natural aging and wear of leather from becoming a "problem" e.g. cracking/tearing/stiffness/fading, as will making sure you aren't scooting in/out in such a way to put all your weight on that outside bolster to fully and completely squish it when you get in and out of the car, but no matter what you do those creases are always going to happen to some degree just like how the vamp gets creased immediately when you take your first 100-200 steps in a brand new pair of Allen Edmonds.

If this is unacceptable then I hate to say it but buying a car with fine leather seating surfaces is probably not for you.

Audi does offer a partial alcantara on the B9 S4 but I believe the thigh bolsters are still leather across all trims even with that option, unlike on some comparable cars such as the Kia Stinger which has leather side bolsters but the butt+thigh support is fabric, or the C43 AMG which can be had with alcantara in the butt & thigh.
Great response.
100% Agree. AGAIN.

gr
Old 10-01-2018, 07:19 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's dead animal skin, just have a think about that for a while