S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 Audi S4 - 19” All Season Recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2017, 08:20 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2018 Audi S4 - 19” All Season Recommendations

Like many of you I got the 19” wheels with summer tires from the factory. I live in Washington DC and opposed to getting a second set of rims / tires, I’m looking to replace my summer tires with all seasons. I found a few options on tire rack but wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on 19” all season tires.
The following users liked this post:
judy/jack04svs4 (11-15-2021)
Old 10-03-2017, 08:54 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

You only have about 4 real options in the OEM 245/35 R19 size...the ones you see on TireRack.

I can vouch for the Continental DWS06 being a good tire, had them in an 18" size on my V6 Honda Accord that the S4 replaced. They were especially excellent in the wet, pretty good in the dry, and just OK in the snow (no better or worse than any all season I've driven on).
Old 10-05-2017, 08:35 AM
AudiWorld Member

Choices are limited at that size, but given past experience, I would select the Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3+.
Old 10-05-2017, 09:24 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mmp151
Like many of you I got the 19” wheels with summer tires from the factory. I live in Washington DC and opposed to getting a second set of rims / tires, I’m looking to replace my summer tires with all seasons. I found a few options on tire rack but wanted to see if anyone had recommendations on 19” all season tires.
Like both said above...limited choices but go with Michelin or Continental....stay away from the Pirelli's.
Old 10-16-2017, 06:53 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks everyone! I jumped on the Costco Michelin deal and got the PILOT SPORT A/S 3+ 245/35ZR19 for $840 including installation and taxes.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:30 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Installed and set! If anyone wants me to 19” summer tires from the factory with 5k miles on them, just PM me.
Old 10-26-2017, 05:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

I'm also looking at the Costco option for replacing my S4's 18" Summer Only tires.

Issue: Costco cannot perform road force balancing, nor can they do an all-wheel alignment, which may be not a half-bad idea given the fact that you're spending almost $900. The cost of road force balancing varies but should not exceed $200 (that would be for the mounting and balancing of four tires).

Issue: Tirerack's prices for delivery to Cincinnati vs the Audi dealer's prices are $52 less; dealer may discount an additional $50 to get your business, so the dealer isn't as bad as I once thought it to be -- if you want the road force balancing, even at dealer prices, the dealer vs Costco option, gets within "reasonable." The Costco deal on the Michelin's ($70 off) expired on 10/22/2017 -- there certainly could be another deal, so you have that to consider.

Question: I've used the DWS 06 tires (three times) and have found them to be an excellent UHP A/S tire here in "moderate" winter Cincinnati; but, Consumer Reports, often with their penchant for "value", puts the Pirelli PZero All Season Plus as one notch higher than the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's. Yet, some here, seem to caution against the Pirellis. I have OEM Pirelli Summer Only tires on my S4 and in terms of feel and road noise (they are silent), they are great. Yet, I understand that the OEM tires vs the PZERO Plus A/S tires are really completely independent entities (one does not indicate that other models will yield similar satisfaction, that is). So, what is it that "Audi World contributors" see/know that challenges the "recommendations" made by Consumer's Reports?

I spoke with a Tire Rack "consultant" and his comments were that the Michelin's were the best (at this time), but that if you wanted a tire that wouldn't be as "harsh", the Continental gives up a bit of performance in exchange for comfort. The Michelin's cost a little more, but the Tire Rack's comments are probably in the category of subject matter expert. So, to repeat, what is the issue some folks here have with the Pirelli's? And, are the Michelin's great in the clutch, so to speak, but at the expense of "comfort"? Most of my driving is on Interstates and once weekly includes a 200-mile round trip (Cincinnati to Columbus and back).

Finally, in terms of "mileage warranty", does it really mean anything? Mostly the top-three Tire Rack UHP A/S tires seem to have "tread wear" ratings of 50,000 or 55,000 miles. I swapped out the DWS 06 tires for another set of the same at 45,000 miles on my wife's SQ5 and we're planning on replacing the OEM rubber with the DWS 06's, in part because at 255 x 45 x 20" W rated, Continental's and Michelin's can be had and Pirelli's cannot.

Continental DWS 06 UTQG 560
Michelin Pilot Sport AS UTQG 500
Pirelli PZERO All Season Plus UTQG 500

The current Tire Rack ranking is Michelin #1 Continental #3 Pirelli #5

Consumer Reports places the Pirelli higher -- I assume this CU ranking comes from their own tests plus "customer feedback".

The dealer "leans" toward the Continentals FWIW.

Thanks for your input.
Old 10-30-2017, 07:46 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Consumer Reports, often with their penchant for "value", puts the Pirelli PZero All Season Plus as one notch higher than the Continental Extreme Contact DWS 06's. Yet, some here, seem to caution against the Pirellis. So, what is it that "Audi World contributors" see/know that challenges the "recommendations" made by Consumer's Reports?
What is your source for that? We must be reading different articles because Consumer Reports places the PS A/S 3+ as their top rated tire in the category. https://www.consumerreports.org/tire...-tire-ratings/

I only have tried DWS06 (on a different car) and agree 110% with the above articles' claim that DWS06 offers outstanding wet handling. Best tire I've ever used in the wet, bar none, so much so that I've said in other threads that I would even trust it on a damp racetrack.
Old 02-09-2019, 03:40 AM
Boo
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best All Season Tires: B9 S4 245/35 R19

Disclaimer: my S4 has the fixed sport suspension, so those with adaptive suspension might have a different experience when in comfort mode.

In October of 2018 I switched out my summer tires for the all season Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 and I couldn't be happier. Really wish Audi would've installed the Conti DWS tires on all B9 S4 allocations in the Pacific Northwest, instead they included summer Contis, which are great... for the track. Summer tires turn the B9 S4 into a speed boat with no rudder when it rains. Most might not know this but the roads in Seattle are horrible for summer tires even in the summer. Most roads are very old here and made from a concrete gravel mix (very porous).

The Conti DWS06 is the best all season tire for the B9 S4 with the 245/35 R19 wheels (black optic): they are very quiet at normal and even extreme highway speeds, they handle excellent in the rain and pretty well in the snow given the wheel dimensions & curb weight (picture of tread in snow below), and they handle small bumps better than the available AS Michelins. You have to give the car some heavy Gs to lose grip on wet roads unless you're dealing with deeper waters. I like to keep the PSI at 40 front and 38 rear - seems to be the best combo for grip and comfort with the fixed sport suspension. Get the warranty on the tires, though. They love to eat any nail or screw and will blow (non violently) on medium sized potholes, but that's a result of the wheel's weight (big brakes) and the suspension being designed for 18" wheels. Maybe Michelin's Pilot Sport+ or Pirellis have stronger sidewalls? Idk.

When I was driving through Fargo, ND it was pure ice on the road and I had to go pretty slow, but I drove my S4 through the rockies on I-90 with 2 inches of snow on the ground and i was overtaking trucks and semis with ease. IMO the DWS tires are really great on dry, wet, and snow for the wheels I have. Definitely happy to be leaving them on year round.

Driving B9 S4 somewhat effortlessly through hilly Seattle with 6 inches of fresh snow with Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tires on 245/35 19R wheels (black optic).

Continental ExtremeContact DWS06 tread pattern in the snow with 8k miles.
Old 02-09-2019, 04:57 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the Toyo Proxes 4S I believe it was called on my B8.5 and liked it.

Quick Reply: 2018 Audi S4 - 19” All Season Recommendations