S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 S4 Correct Oil

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 04:01 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 S4 Correct Oil

So I've completed my first oil change--and I'm wondering if they used the correct oil. The receipt says, " G-052-167--S0." Is this the correct part number for VW 50800 compliant oil?
Old 02-20-2018, 04:06 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

one of the other guys got his hands on it and posted this:
Attached Thumbnails 2018 S4 Correct Oil-img_0079_e26c21c7908ab3be25ddcbf12933007bc7fe8e92.jpg  
Old 02-20-2018, 04:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 382 Likes on 344 Posts

Clemson, you still may not be able to determine what was poured into your car. The dealer may not have updated their part numbers since the arrival of this newest oil. We've seen this many times in the past: they're using the correct oil but using an old part number so the invoice can be completed.

On the other hand, like so many, they may know nothing of this new oil requirement

When you go ahead and dip your dipstick into the new oil, it should have a distinct green tint to it.

Last edited by uberwgn; 02-20-2018 at 04:12 PM.
Old 02-21-2018, 05:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This is the CORRECT stuff. Straight off the shelf at the Herndon Puzzle Palace!!

Notice how the VW Serial Numbers VW 508 00 / 509 00 are exactly the same as the old stuff??

You should be able to see green oil inside the oil filler cap and inside the filler hole IF it is the correct oil. The residue can be seen in that area without a dipstick.

What i'm not sure of, is that if the old spec oil was also tinted green?? I don't think so.....but somebody will need to confirm that.

I've already had the conversation with my dealership about ordering the correct oil for this engine.
Oddly - they weren't even going to use the VW Spec Old stuff.....but that's another story.

Make sure they order it ahead of time, and confirm it when you get there.

gr

Last edited by ghostrider990; 02-21-2018 at 06:08 AM.
Old 02-21-2018, 06:33 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

There is a sticker under the hood -- with the correct oil REQUIREMENT clearly stated.

The 2018 S4 has a "B-cycle" engine -- this means it REQUIRES the oil shown in the previous post. I have NOT seen this oil at the retail stores, but I've also only looked casually. I have not been "on a mission from God" to find this oil since I purchased Audi Care and then I -- at my own expense -- get additional oil/filter changes at 5,000, 15,000, etc. If you think I'm pissing away money, you may be right. Thus far, however, this approach allows me the extra piece of mind because the dealer "sees" the patient twice as often which makes me believe that if there are any issues "budding" that they may be uncovered and remedied.

The point is, you MUST have the REQUIRED oil put in this car -- and the above picture is the ONLY oil I have seen that meets the REQUIREMENTS.
The following users liked this post:
ZF8 (10-14-2022)
Old 02-21-2018, 08:34 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I might as well ask here ... does anyone have a part number for an S4 dipstick? More importantly, where would you put it in? The only place I can think of is where we already pour the oil in. Tripped me out when I noticed the lack of dipstick.
Old 02-21-2018, 01:26 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am learning incredible new things now: After the transmission fluid dipstick was removed from many cars a few years ago, now the car I am contemplating getting has no oil dipstick? Wow.
On a side note, I am actually very surprised that even dealers are syphoning oil (as opposed to draining it properly). This will leave sludge in the case!!
Old 02-21-2018, 02:00 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've researched the part number and called the service manager. He said he investigated, and they used the wrong part number on the work order--he said, "I am one million percent sure the correct oil is in your car." So, I pulled the oil filler cap off and looked inside with a flashlight--nothing green in there. So I'm off to the service department tomorrow for a 1:30 appointment. Trust is a trait that has mostly disappeared!
Old 02-21-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by ClemsonAudi
I've researched the part number and called the service manager. He said he investigated, and they used the wrong part number on the work order--he said, "I am one million percent sure the correct oil is in your car." So, I pulled the oil filler cap off and looked inside with a flashlight--nothing green in there. So I'm off to the service department tomorrow for a 1:30 appointment. Trust is a trait that has mostly disappeared!
There is a dipstick "port" -- it has a cap on it. My dealer shop foreman -- the Audi guru -- has a dipstick. It certainly must be available.

Not sure I'd buy a1,000,000% claim. But I'd have no reason to accuse the person of any wrongdoing, either. With respect to sucking out the oil vs gravity draining it, I would assume that the bottom of the oil pan could have gook on the floor of the pan regardless of how the oil was extracted (or drained). The crud does get "held" by the oil -- and Audi has determined that the filtration plus the oil chemistry itself will leave minimal crud on the bottom of the oil pan.

Sucking out the oil, I would argue, is superior, if crud extraction is the goal.
The following users liked this post:
TT-S4 (06-29-2022)
Old 02-22-2018, 06:36 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by numerobis
I am learning incredible new things now: After the transmission fluid dipstick was removed from many cars a few years ago, now the car I am contemplating getting has no oil dipstick? Wow.
On a side note, I am actually very surprised that even dealers are syphoning oil (as opposed to draining it properly). This will leave sludge in the case!!
no, it won't

Quick Reply: 2018 S4 Correct Oil