S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 S4 Correct Oil

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan-S4
So I had to call about the oil & yep they used 5W-40 (Part G-052-167-S0) now I have to take it back in tomorrow...so I assume I should get a bunch of stuff in writing that they f--ked this up & should get some long term protections for it? What irks me is I even told the service manager before it was serviced to make sure it was the 0W-20 oil and he said he'd make sure & they knew.

Man what a f--king joke...guess I'm calling Audi CS next.
Having the 502.00 spec 5W-40 in the car for a few days isn't going to cause any damage, but it is concerning that Audi techs still haven't figured out that the new 3.0T uses different oil from the rest of the engines. With the new A6 and A7 on the market, Audi techs will have even more opportunities to botch these oil changes. I'm surprised that Audi didn't account for the fact their dealership service personnel are not conscientious enough to keep track of more than one type of oil when developing an engine around a completely different oil spec.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
Having the 502.00 spec 5W-40 in the car for a few days isn't going to cause any damage, but it is concerning that Audi techs still haven't figured out that the new 3.0T uses different oil from the rest of the engines. With the new A6 and A7 on the market, Audi techs will have even more opportunities to botch these oil changes. I'm surprised that Audi didn't account for the fact their dealership service personnel are not conscientious enough to keep track of more than one type of oil when developing an engine around a completely different oil spec.
It's actually been more like 2 weeks+ even though I don't drive it everyday, it's definitely gone about 500 miles since it was changed if not more. I'll be getting some freebies out of this (considering I specifically told them about the oil) especially in writing that the dealership screwed up here.
Old 11-26-2018, 03:34 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

It's not a big deal, in terms of the overall effect on the engine. Don't get bent about it.....not the hill you want to die on today.

However - the inconvenience of having to go back to have it done again, and the idiocy of them not doing it right the first time IS a bit annoying.

If you play your cards right, youll have the svc advisor and the manager bending over backwards to accomodate you and help you in the future.

The old saying goes - you get more flies with honey, than with vinegar. Be guided accordingly.

gr
Old 11-27-2018, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
It's not a big deal, in terms of the overall effect on the engine. Don't get bent about it.....not the hill you want to die on today.

However - the inconvenience of having to go back to have it done again, and the idiocy of them not doing it right the first time IS a bit annoying.

If you play your cards right, youll have the svc advisor and the manager bending over backwards to accomodate you and help you in the future.

The old saying goes - you get more flies with honey, than with vinegar. Be guided accordingly.

gr
They honestly didn't even seem to care that much...said they'd fix it...I asked if they knew if this was going on for all their S4/S4/SQ5s and they just shrugged...

Old 11-28-2018, 08:14 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Chalk me up as another person who had (presumably, per the invoice) the wrong oil installed: G-052-167-S0.

This is ridiculous.
Old 11-28-2018, 11:13 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My service department just confirmed this part number. This is what they used in my 10k service. I just ordered some to use to top off as needed...
(B9 S5)

Old 11-28-2018, 11:19 AM
Banned

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BarkinMadDog
My service department just confirmed this part number. This is what they used in my 10k service. I just ordered some to use to top off as needed...
(B9 S5)

You have a US spec S5? Your first 10K service is free of charge.........
Old 11-28-2018, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

You're right, it is a US car, and although the costs are spelled out on the invoice it was free of charge..
Old 11-28-2018, 12:19 PM
AudiWorld Member

Not sure why there are different #'s but I just had mine changed/fixed today...this is the part # they used...

G-E52-577-1L

When you google that it's the Castrol LongLife IV - SAE 0W-20 - 508.00/509.00

They tried to brush it off saying that they couldn't 100% be sure the wrong oil was used...I told them that the previous invoice had a 5W-40 oil part # & even the guy who took my car around was like...is this your A4...had to correct him...it just seems people just aren't paying attention at this places.

Old 12-12-2018, 01:46 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

So I just picked up my car from its first service.. The car had one mile put on it while at the dealership, and I checked under the cap when I picked it up.. The part number on my invoice seems to indicate the proper part number, but the oil under my cap definitely looks different than what is in the bottle.. Do we know how much of the oil still appears with the green tint once its been added to a drained engine and run for a mile? I know not ALL of the old oil will be completely drained, so there is some element of mixing happening.. Ive sent the SM an email asking about it.. My car is also a lease that will be turned in at completion, prob around 30K miles - so I've not too overly concerned about it.. Its more of a "should I trust this dealer in the future" kind of thing.

Opinions?

Thanks,
Rick

Quick Reply: 2018 S4 Correct Oil