S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 S4 flat bottom vs. round heated steering wheel.

Old 02-01-2017, 09:41 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2018 S4 flat bottom vs. round heated steering wheel.

Ok... I'm starting an important survey. The new 2018 S4, the new A4 and other Audi models for that matter, come with one of 2 steering wheel options:
  1. flat bottom wheel, unheated, with a programmable button.
  2. round wheel, heated, no programmable button.

Which one did you pick? Which is better and why? Start your engines! Ready... Go! :-)

Old 02-01-2017, 11:22 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

I'd pick the heated one because IL winters....

If I had a choice, in a perfect world, I'd pick a flat bottomed, heated steering wheel without the programmable button, or maybe a programmable button in one of the empty spaces above the view/nav button.
Old 02-01-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

heated! i had a flat bottom on my DD and missed it every cold morning
Old 02-01-2017, 06:51 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by CHIO
heated! i had a flat bottom on my DD and missed it every cold morning
I'm the opposite....I have round heat on my S6 but prefer the flat bottom SQ5 wheel.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:23 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

gk1, since you own both, you're in a good spot to compare.

I've never had a flat bottom. Is it not much more awkward to use when doing a u-turn, 3 point turn, etc.? Or do you just get used to it? F1 cars with flat bottoms don't need to do a lot of 3 point turns, or hand over hand turning it seems to me. When you come out of a sharp turn and release a round wheel to straighten out, does it not glide through your fingers much more smoothly than a flat bottom?

Heating aside, I'm trying to understand why steering would be a better experience with a non-circular flat bottom wheel.
Old 02-01-2017, 07:33 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I pick the flat-bottom steering wheel. Aside from the looks, the flat-bottom gives me a little bit more leg room (I have long legs). Winters here in Vancouver don't get that cold. If it is cold, I just wear gloves to keep my hands warm.
Old 02-02-2017, 12:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Flat bottom.

Only because I like to be different. The heated version looks exact same as the one you get on a standard a3/a4.
Old 02-03-2017, 06:42 PM
gk1
AudiWorld Super User

Received 515 Likes on 450 Posts

Originally Posted by glenner
gk1, since you own both, you're in a good spot to compare.

I've never had a flat bottom. Is it not much more awkward to use when doing a u-turn, 3 point turn, etc.? Or do you just get used to it? F1 cars with flat bottoms don't need to do a lot of 3 point turns, or hand over hand turning it seems to me. When you come out of a sharp turn and release a round wheel to straighten out, does it not glide through your fingers much more smoothly than a flat bottom?

Heating aside, I'm trying to understand why steering would be a better experience with a non-circular flat bottom wheel.
I never have one problem adjusting and I drive both often. I thought the same as you when I first saw the flat bottom wheels but it really is no issue at all. The key, for me anyway, why I like the flat bottom more, is that it is also thicker and therefore has a nicer feel to me.
Old 02-04-2017, 06:41 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks guys. Looks like I will go with the flat bottom... ...Even though it's been -10C outside this weekend! My build should arrive in the spring, so rock and roll!
Old 02-11-2017, 04:42 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by glenner
Thanks guys. Looks like I will go with the flat bottom... ...Even though it's been -10C outside this weekend! My build should arrive in the spring, so rock and roll!
I usually wear gloves when cold anyway and like the flat bottom after I got used to it...and it's easier entry/exit.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 2018 S4 flat bottom vs. round heated steering wheel.