S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 S4 flat bottom vs. round heated steering wheel.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2017, 07:14 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

You know, this was a really tough call for me. I drove both (A4 w/ heated and S4 w/ flat bottom) and, even after swearing years ago when I rented a truck that had one that I would never buy another car without a heated wheel..... I went with the flat bottom.

The flat bottom wheel has a unique and has that special S-car look to it. You wouldn't automatically know it from photos alone, but it's actually a decent bit thicker around too. And finally -- I'm with Mark on this one -- $500 is tall order when you don't actually need or care about heated rear seats.
Old 10-21-2017, 10:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

I ordered a heated wheel just so that I don't have to have a flat bottom wheel. Letting the wheel gently slide thru my hands when maneuvering or driving hair pins the way I grew up is just something I could not give up for a questionable impractical design gimmick.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stanj
...for a questionable impractical design gimmick.
This may pan out to be one of those - love it or hate it camp.

Me. I absolutely had to have it and thought why would anyone pay $500 to forgo it. Now that I have it - still love it's sporty appearance and differentness. That said, it does take time to get use to gripping the steering wheel and only catching it partially when turning. I haven't driven my S4 on a regular basis. Think I will overall glad I got the flat-bottom after I'm conditioned to it. YMMV.

Last edited by Sobeit; 10-22-2017 at 04:50 AM.
Old 10-22-2017, 04:54 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

While I love heated steering wheels, I specifically opted for the flat bottom just because it looks so damn good. Very happy with my choice and I not missing the heating at all
Old 10-22-2017, 06:18 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

I like the idea of having a unique feature to the S model line (such as the flat bottom steering wheel). However I can also value comfort. Especially in a DD. Heated steering wheels have been in my past vehicles, including the M4, and I use it when the temps dip below 45 F. For me cool looks vs. comfort. So I paid the $500 for comfort. Unless I am out for a hike or skiing, I usually don't wear a jacket. I certainly don't want to wear gloves. Make your own choice based on your preference and priorities.
Old 10-22-2017, 03:27 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Living in cold winters after renting cars with the heated steering wheel I said to myself my next car must have this feature.

It is an awesome feeling driving in a cold car and have your steering wheel warm !

There is an alternative for those who would like the best of both worlds with some money and time....you can buy the OEM flat bottom steering wheels with different wraps. It’s not that hard to change them out, you could change them out accordingly to season. Flat bottom in summer time then heated in winter. Just like changing your winter tires etc.
Old 10-22-2017, 11:16 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Personal desires and opinions all around, as we can see. If you live north of the 40º parallel and you have had the pleasure of a heated steering wheel before, there is no going back. It is simply wonderful. The flat bottom makes for a sportier "look" (just because it looks different?), but it is not a terribly practical design. It's not like this is a cramped F1 cockpit where the gap between wheel and legs is an issue for entering the seat. If anyone has a flat bottom wheel but didn't get the dynamic steering they are unnecessarily hampering themselves when having to rotate the wheel full throw.

In our other vehicles my kids always griped in winter that only the adults in front got heated seats. Now with the heated rear seats, they (and indirectly me) are much happier.

Last edited by dbuxton13; 10-22-2017 at 11:20 PM.
Old 10-23-2017, 11:01 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I ordered a heated wheel just so that I don't have to have a flat bottom wheel. Letting the wheel gently slide thru my hands when maneuvering or driving hair pins the way I grew up is just something I could not give up for a questionable impractical design gimmick.
I do the same, which is just one more reason that I really like the flat bottom wheel. The flat bottom provides great feedback on where the bottom of the wheel is without having to take my eyes off the road. It does not interfere with your ability to let it glide through your hands at all.
Old 10-23-2017, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by njspeedfreak
I do the same, which is just one more reason that I really like the flat bottom wheel. The flat bottom provides great feedback on where the bottom of the wheel is without having to take my eyes off the road. It does not interfere with your ability to let it glide through your hands at all.
What, you don't see when the car is heading straight? Especially if you really have your eyes on the road Besides the car is self-centering, so I don't really have to feel or see it.

We have a flat bottom wheel car at work (well, two of them) so I can say that I have put hundreds of miles on those, and that in part lead to me ordering a round wheel.
Old 10-23-2017, 04:37 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

What, you don't see when the car is heading straight? Especially if you really have your eyes on the road Besides the car is self-centering, so I don't really have to feel or see it.

We have a flat bottom wheel car at work (well, two of them) so I can say that I have put hundreds of miles on those, and that in part lead to me ordering a round wheel.
Think parking lots, especially parking garages where there are lots of slow speed turns in order to loop up the ramps. The wheel will self center, but as you feel that flat part go by your top hand you can tighten your grip and then control the rate of turn on that last part as it straightens out. This wasn't something I was anticipating or expecting out of the wheel, I was just going for looks (and the extra programmable button). But I was pleasantly surprised once I started driving it and noticed how easy it was to know where the bottom of the wheel was just by feel.

But to each their own. That's why it's nice to have options. I just wish there was an option for a flat bottom wheel that was heated too.

Quick Reply: 2018 S4 flat bottom vs. round heated steering wheel.