S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 S4 Premium Plus vs. Prestige

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2018, 04:38 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I can't imagine why it wouldn't be but I would check with a PP owner. I didn't drive one as I knew the Prestige model was what I was looking for.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Voice control is available on the P+. It is standard on Prestige. Prestige with DAP is the way to go. Or you could wait for the '19 which I predict will come with DAP (certainly in Prestige and probably available in P+). The additional features unique to Prestige are IMHO worth it.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 04-24-2018 at 06:13 AM.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:14 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by heynowbababooey

Thank you Eli. Does Voice Control come with Premium Plus or just Prestige? Also, if I go with Prestige am I able to turn off HUD? I don’t understand the point of it when I can look at the incredible Virtual Cockpit. I’d much prefer to look at the stunning new VC screen than the HUD.

The faster you drive the more you'll appreciate HUD.
Old 04-24-2018, 06:50 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Voice control is available on the P+. It is standard on Prestige. Prestige with DAP is the way to go. Or you could wait for the '19 which I predict will come with DAP (certainly in Prestige and probably available in P+). The additional features unique to Prestige are IMHO worth it.
Thank you. I’m building my P+ on AudiUSA.com but don’t see where Voice Control is in a package to add?
Old 04-24-2018, 07:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Thank you. I’m building my P+ on AudiUSA.com but don’t see where Voice Control is in a package to add?
Navigation package: $2,600
  • Audi connect PRIME & PLUS (6 month trial subscription)
  • Audi virtual cockpit
  • MMI® Navigation plus with MMI® touch
  • 8.3" MMI® center screen
You're going to be spending, IMHO, close to Prestige money and not getting all that the Prestige package (and the ability to get DAP) has to offer. The DAP's features are either standard or available on Honda's, KIA's and Toyota's for pity's sake. You will regret not having DAP (and HUD) I'd wager in less than 18 months. If you're going to load up a P+, you are "within reach" of a Prestige with "Paint, Seats, DAP and Beam Rings) all for (before discount) less than $61K. If you just refuse to get the Prestige (out of what, principle?), get the top-spec AWD KIA Stinger which will be over $9,000 less and will have these features. With respect: You will regret not getting the DAP (which requires Prestige). Besides you get the dual pane glass and the HUD.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

I don’t understand the point of it when I can look at the incredible Virtual Cockpit. I’d much prefer to look at the stunning new VC screen than the HUD.
The main point is that you don't have to take your eyes off the road in order to check your speed. And since the HUD is a projected image it actually appears if it's a foot or 2 in front of the windshield, not on the windshield itself. This is important since as you get older your eyes begin to lose the ability to focus on objects that are closer. This get progressively worse as time goes on. So having the image projected out in front means your older eyes can still manage to focus on the HUD even when the VC display is blurry without reading glasses. Also, even if you are still young enough not to need reading glasses, it still takes your eyes some time to refocus between near and far objects. So looking at the VC and then returning your focus to the road will take a little longer than looking at the HUD since your eyes don't need to change focal length as much. It may seem like such a minor thing, until you actually experience it for yourself.
Old 04-24-2018, 09:59 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
The faster you drive the more you'll appreciate HUD.
As long as you don't wear polarized sunglasses. For safety, polarized sunglasses are more important than the HUD in my book, so I get to enjoy it only at night. Maybe for the half-cycle refresh they'll get the HUD from GM's supplier and then it will be visible with polarized sunglasses, too.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

+1 nj -- 60MPH is 88 feet per second. If you spend 1/4th of a second to look down, up, down, up, over the course of driving (and you never exceed 60MPH), every little down-up tracking means you will have gone between 22 and 44 feet in a 3,500+ pound vehicle where you really weren't able to pay attention becuase of the "lag time" required for the physical motion and focusing. If you spend 1/3rd of a second . . . well, you do the arithmetic. And, whenever possible, I'd wager, you will drive faster than 60MPH. The HUD is, arguably, capable of saving your butt.

I remember the argument for LED (instant on) tail and stop lights -- they were said to take a fraction of a second less time to fully illuminate. Studies were conducted that repeatedly demonstrated the efficacy of "instant on" lights with respect to stopping and avoidance maneuvers.

I'd like to see the BSW in the HUD, I'd like to see the turn signals in the HUD, I'd like the MMI to allow me to pick and choose what is displayed in the HUD,

These nits, I predict, will be picked and processed and the software will be created to "make my HUD dreams come true.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:02 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have RayBan Polarized sunglasses and with the HUD on max brightness, I can still see it. It's a lot softer than normal, but it is visible. I am sure the experience is different based on sunglass manufacture, however, if you have HUD it might be worth checking out.
Old 04-24-2018, 10:05 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by yabi
I have RayBan Polarized sunglasses and with the HUD on max brightness, I can still see it. It's a lot softer than normal, but it is visible. I am sure the experience is different based on sunglass manufacturer, however, if you have HUD it might be worth checking out.
I ordered my prescription Ray Bans specifically without polarization because I knew I was getting HUD and would have a TFT dash. I test drove a Q7 while wearing polarized sunglasses and knew they wouldn't do. I can't even see the screen on a gas pump if I'm wearing polarized SG's either. What (for me) little value I received from polarized sunglasses I was willing to forego to have the VC and HUD.

Quick Reply: 2018 S4 Premium Plus vs. Prestige