S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2018 S4 US Order Guide With Pricing

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-2017, 06:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 54 Likes on 33 Posts

I don't know, Mark, you might have actually saved a few dollars on your insurance saying you did not have rear air bags. From an insurance viewpoint, I could see them looking at over $2k in cost to replace if they deploy (even if no one was sitting in the back seat at the time) and a higher risk of injury to kids if in the back at the time if it was a minor impact collision.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
I don't know, Mark, you might have actually saved a few dollars on your insurance saying you did not have rear air bags. From an insurance viewpoint, I could see them looking at over $2k in cost to replace if they deploy (even if no one was sitting in the back seat at the time) and a higher risk of injury to kids if in the back at the time if it was a minor impact collision.
Good thoughts, that is exactly the kind of thoughtful response I was asking for from those who participate.

Thanks.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:04 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by heisnuts
and a higher risk of injury to kids if in the back at the time if it was a minor impact collision.
It's so cool you mentioned this. I called my insurance company to let them know I will be getting a new car soon and to ask advice about the rear airbags and they mentioned the same exact thing. They said it will put my daughter more at risk since she is still in a booster if the bags deploy - it was good that I asked because I saved $300 in not adding it to my build.
Old 05-24-2017, 11:47 AM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Soapbox concerning vehicle blindspots: Car & Driver

You don't need to see the side panels of your vehicle in your side mirrors. They should be pointed further outward in order to have full coverage. I've been doing mine this way for over 5 years and it's objectively superior for visibility. Between this and blind spot monitoring assistants, you should never merge accidentally into someone.

Last edited by aj6; 05-24-2017 at 11:50 AM.
Old 05-24-2017, 01:44 PM
AudiWorld Member

I've had my mirrors adjusted this way for some time.

I don't know why rear view mirrors are not made with a convex radius built in so you can get 180° coverage from a single mirror.

Something like this, but nicely designed from the factory.

Old 05-24-2017, 05:43 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

I've always had my mirrors adjusted as described in the C&D article. I didn't realize some people reduce their field of vision by having a portion of the mirror reflecting the side of the car.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:33 PM
aj6
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JD15
I've always had my mirrors adjusted as described in the C&D article. I didn't realize some people reduce their field of vision by having a portion of the mirror reflecting the side of the car.
The reason C&D addressed it is because the vast majority of drivers set them up with the vehicle side in the field of view. That's the way I used to do it as well, felt natural, until one day I started thinking about the vehicle blind spot and why I wasn't pointing the mirrors outward. I found the C&D article after the fact and have been on a very casual crusade ever since.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by aj6
The reason C&D addressed it is because the vast majority of drivers set them up with the vehicle side in the field of view. That's the way I used to do it as well, felt natural, until one day I started thinking about the vehicle blind spot and why I wasn't pointing the mirrors outward. I found the C&D article after the fact and have been on a very casual crusade ever since.
This is probably getting a bit too off topic (especially for this thread), but I think a good number of drivers (at least in California) are too lazy to look over their shoulders and/or check all of the mirrors for the blind spots (let alone use their signal) before changing lanes. Do they still teach "SMOG" (signal, mirror, over the shoulder, go) in driver's ed anymore like they did in the 80's?

In our Honda Odyssey, we went with a Touring version that had a rear camera built into the ride side mirror instead of blind spot monitors that you get in the top of the line Touring Elite (which has blind spot sensors instead of a camera). So, in my opinion, the camera adds additional safety value compared to blind spot monitors on top of properly adjusted mirrors and looking over the shoulder since one can see the left blind spot more easily by looking out the window..

Back on topic - Does anyone (SYMAWD?) have an updated order guide with updated prices to post here? Thanks
Old 05-24-2017, 08:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by Qbruin
This is probably getting a bit too off topic (especially for this thread), but I think a good number of drivers (at least in California) are too lazy to look over their shoulders and/or check all of the mirrors for the blind spots (let alone use their signal) before changing lanes. Do they still teach "SMOG" (signal, mirror, over the shoulder, go) in driver's ed anymore like they did in the 80's?

In our Honda Odyssey, we went with a Touring version that had a rear camera built into the ride side mirror instead of blind spot monitors that you get in the top of the line Touring Elite (which has blind spot sensors instead of a camera). So, in my opinion, the camera adds additional safety value compared to blind spot monitors on top of properly adjusted mirrors and looking over the shoulder since one can see the left blind spot more easily by looking out the window..

Back on topic - Does anyone (SYMAWD?) have an updated order guide with updated prices to post here? Thanks
Added to 1st post.

On a side note, I loved Honda LaneWatch when I had my Si. I'm surprised something similar hasn't been added to any cars outside of the Honda brand.
Old 05-24-2017, 09:03 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
Added to 1st post.

On a side note, I loved Honda LaneWatch when I had my Si. I'm surprised something similar hasn't been added to any cars outside of the Honda brand.
That was quick. Thanks for posting!

Quick Reply: 2018 S4 US Order Guide With Pricing