S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

2019 delays...any insight?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2018, 05:10 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

It's not about wealth is about the length of time it takes to get a car. very few people I know want to wait the 3+ months it takes to order a new car. They don't see buying off the dealer lots as a compromise. They don't care about getting a car that meets a whole list of criteria. The vast majority of people are not enthusiasts and as long as the car does what they want it to and looks good that's all they care.
Old 10-13-2018, 09:10 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 77 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason Krywicki
2019 S4 ordered 7/23. Production complete 9/20. Ship departure 10/20 (ETA). Port (Davisville, RI) 11/2 ETA. Talking to my dealer today, it sounds like they'll be held in port for a bit. My dealer said it was looking like the 2019 A4/A5s would be released probably around Thanksgiving.
I'd complain to AoA if they hold or delay delivery without a VERY good reason. They can delay the dealer inventory cars, but a paid order??? Give the buyer their car!
Old 10-14-2018, 04:03 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by lowjdml
I'd complain to AoA if they hold or delay delivery without a VERY good reason. They can delay the dealer inventory cars, but a paid order??? Give the buyer their car!
I doubt anyone has paid more than a $1000 deposit for an ordered vehicle, so it's not like Audi is delaying a car that has been fully paid for. Only Tesla does that.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:47 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
It's not about wealth is about the length of time it takes to get a car. very few people I know want to wait the 3+ months it takes to order a new car. They don't see buying off the dealer lots as a compromise. They don't care about getting a car that meets a whole list of criteria. The vast majority of people are not enthusiasts and as long as the car does what they want it to and looks good that's all they care.
Is this a particularly American attitude? A lot of these cars are leased, yes? Well, then, if you have a 36 month lease and you are not unhappy, you would know at month 32 or 33 that you had only 3 or 4 months before you have to turn in your car, so go to the brand you want and order your car, make your last lease payment and get into your new (EXACTLY as you want it) car.

I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said someone literally wakes up on a Saturday AM and says, "honey let's go buy a car TODAY!" Seems that may have been closer to literal than I had intended.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 10-14-2018 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-14-2018, 07:32 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Is this a particularly American attitude? A lot of these cars are leased, yes? Well, then, if you have a 36 month lease and you are not unhappy, you would know at month 32 or 33 that you had only 3 or 4 months before you have to turn in your car, so go to the brand you want and order your car, make your last lease payment and get into your new (EXACTLY as you want it) car.

I was being somewhat sarcastic when I said someone literally wakes up on a Saturday AM and says, "honey let's go buy a car TODAY!" Seems that may have been closer to literal than I had intended.
Most people I know will wait until a month or so before their lease is up before they start looking for a new car. Combine that with incentives that dealers will usually throw out to get a car off their lot and you have fewer people custom ordering cars.

Even if people are spending $80K+ on a car, most of them still view it as an appliance and couldn’t tell you much about outside of what the sales person told them.

Gettijg a car precisely to your specification isn’t something most people think about. I’d be surprised if most people knew all the options their car came with or didn’t come with. Most people are not enthusiasts and don’t care about this stuff.
Old 10-15-2018, 02:50 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
I doubt anyone has paid more than a $1000 deposit for an ordered vehicle, so it's not like Audi is delaying a car that has been fully paid for. Only Tesla does that.
When it comes down to it, to Audi, that car is already sold...to the dealer. It's now the dealer's transaction to sell it on from there. It's in every party's best interest to get to car to the consumer ASAP...a car shouldn't be reported to Audi as sold until the client signs final paperwork (though even that part dealers fudge), and they won't get paid till the same is done. But at certain points, you are waiting sometimes due to nothing more than a long line at the port(s)
Old 10-15-2018, 02:52 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish

Most people I know will wait until a month or so before their lease is up before they start looking for a new car. Combine that with incentives that dealers will usually throw out to get a car off their lot and you have fewer people custom ordering cars.

Even if people are spending $80K+ on a car, most of them still view it as an appliance and couldn’t tell you much about outside of what the sales person told them.

Gettijg a car precisely to your specification isn’t something most people think about. I’d be surprised if most people knew all the options their car came with or didn’t come with. Most people are not enthusiasts and don’t care about this stuff.
This is the absolute majority of clients

Some want what they want - and for those, the ordering process exists. Most others simply have a list of "must have's", and one way or another, I can get them the car that satisfies the must-have's. Sometimes they compromise simply on the "it would be nice, if's"
Old 10-15-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Super User

and for those wondering, pricing on other 19's was released
Old 11-15-2018, 09:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My 2019 Quantum Gray S4 arrived at port 3 days ago. I was told it is being held up until Audi officially allows the releases of the 2019 A4/S4 cars. Anyone with insight know when this might happen? This sucks!
Old 11-16-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by carguyrob
My 2019 Quantum Gray S4 arrived at port 3 days ago. I was told it is being held up until Audi officially allows the releases of the 2019 A4/S4 cars. Anyone with insight know when this might happen? This sucks!
It's quite frustrating in that I can't even find an S4 to test drive in the Dallas area because the 2018 inventory is depleted. At this point, I'm considering taking a look at the C43 and buying that if I feel comfortable with it, as Audi seems to have no inclination to release the 2019s.

Quick Reply: 2019 delays...any insight?