S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

30,000 mile update

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2019, 05:38 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 777 Likes on 569 Posts

[QUOTE=jondin2000;25298565]
Originally Posted by angrypengu
Incredibly, incredibly well done.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mplsbrian

Ok guys you heard this two Audi engineers....get ready to spend some $3k for major carbon clean up once warranty expires
I say this with utmost respect, but please stop fear mongering.

1) If this issue causes CELs and such, extended warranties will cover this. Carbon cleanup has and never will be identified as a "maintenance" item due to legal implications.
2) Manual carbon cleaning is around $300-$800.
Old 04-10-2019, 08:21 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If y'all are replacing your brakes at 10,000 miles I really hope you're at the track on the weekends.

I'm expecting to get at least 50,000 miles out of mine.

Assuming the brake service is $1,000 in parts and labor (and I'm sure it's more), that's a difference of 8 cents per mile driven in cost of ownership between the two above scenarios. To put 8 cents per mile into perspective, that is as big a difference as if gas jumped up to $5/gal instead of $3/gal, assuming you all are getting approx 23mpg combined like I am.

...in other words it's substantial. Let the car coast and quit tailgating you guys... really recommend you save those brakes unless or until you're using them for fun, smile-inducing performance applications...but then again it's your money.
wait really? I'm at 14 (almost 15K) and my tire place said I needed rotors & pads done. I also live in NYC so I do brake a lot
Old 04-11-2019, 09:17 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by jondin2000
Ok guys you heard this two Audi engineers....get ready to spend some $3k for major carbon clean up once warranty expires
I think the real PSA here is that you're not confident in the brand and, maybe more generally speaking, maybe not comfortable with cars that offer this level of performance and perhaps wish you'd bought a Camry or some other low-complexity/low-tech/low-performance (all things that go hand in hand with eachother) vehicle that requires nothing but oil changes and maybe brakes/tires at 60,000 miles. That's OK, Toyota does sell a lot of those after all.

Originally Posted by InfiniteEnd
wait really? I'm at 14 (almost 15K) and my tire place said I needed rotors & pads done. I also live in NYC so I do brake a lot
Yeah I mean good bad or indifferent, if you suppose that a brake job costs $2000 then that means you're paying $0.13 per a mile just for the capability of braking.
Math is simple: cost of job divided by the mileage job was needed at.
It's simply nuts to me for a city-driven car that, if you live in NYC, I would guess is rarely halted from a speed faster than 40-50mph. But as per the other part of my post above, this level of performance costs more money than Prius levels of performance. It's at the same time fascinating that I'm 10,000 miles further along and still at ~50% pad life. I definitely get the brakes hot but I guess I am more strategic about when I do that -- such as coming down fun windy canyon roads with, uh.... a "sense of urgency."
Old 04-11-2019, 10:22 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I think the real PSA here is that you're not confident in the brand and, maybe more generally speaking, maybe not comfortable with cars that offer this level of performance and perhaps wish you'd bought a Camry or some other low-complexity/low-tech/low-performance (all things that go hand in hand with eachother) vehicle that requires nothing but oil changes and maybe brakes/tires at 60,000 miles. That's OK, Toyota does sell a lot of those after all.

Yeah I mean good bad or indifferent, if you suppose that a brake job costs $2000 then that means you're paying $0.13 per a mile just for the capability of braking.
Math is simple: cost of job divided by the mileage job was needed at.
It's simply nuts to me for a city-driven car that, if you live in NYC, I would guess is rarely halted from a speed faster than 40-50mph. But as per the other part of my post above, this level of performance costs more money than Prius levels of performance. It's at the same time fascinating that I'm 10,000 miles further along and still at ~50% pad life. I definitely get the brakes hot but I guess I am more strategic about when I do that -- such as coming down fun windy canyon roads with, uh.... a "sense of urgency."
I don't know if this matters but I use traffic assist like 2x daily for at least 10-15 miles a day. And with people weaving in and out it loves to hard brake which I feel might be why my brakes wore so quickly. I mean the signals not on yet from the car but the shop doing my swap mentioned I need both pads & rotors do asap.
Old 04-11-2019, 01:53 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

And I think you just an ignorant. I had 2000 B5 S4 that engine would smoke B9 S4 .....only thing better on B9 S4 is new faster transmission.... I did not buy another s4 since than because they were all junk to me compared to B5S4....I thought Audi made this car like b5s4 but I was wrong and I admit I made a mistake buying it
Old 04-11-2019, 02:06 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jondin2000
And I think you just an ignorant. I had 2000 B5 S4 that engine would smoke B9 S4 .....only thing better on B9 S4 is new faster transmission.... I did not buy another s4 since than because they were all junk to me compared to B5S4....I thought Audi made this car like b5s4 but I was wrong and I admit I made a mistake buying it
Smoke a B9? Really? How so?
The 2000 S4 —2.7T, 250 HP, 0-60-5.5 sec. 2019 S4–3.0T, 349 HP, 0-60 4.4 sec.
Old 04-11-2019, 02:36 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
Smoke a B9? Really? How so?
The 2000 S4 —2.7T, 250 HP, 0-60-5.5 sec. 2019 S4–3.0T, 349 HP, 0-60 4.4 sec.
I said b9 s4 has newer faster transmission....B5 S4 engine power was reduced because at that time they didn't make transmission that could handle all the power from that engine....B5 S4 was fastest 4 door sedan at the time in US... faster than M3... I wasn't gonna reply anymore because this thread is getting way off the track but some ignorant in here seems to think we can't complain once you buy an Audi
Old 04-12-2019, 09:42 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Ok, this thread has gotten way off my OP. I just wanted to share my wear and tear items experience.

At 31k miles now. Will need third set of tires soon. First set (Contis) lasted 14k miles. Current Michelin PS4s at wear bars.

Will need third set of brake pads soon. Not at warning light yet, but soon. Will need to replace rotors. At 17k the dealer quoted $2300 for pads and rotors. I am not going that route.

Lastly, just to chime in on the B5S4 vs B9S4 debate, I owned a 2000 B5S4 new. I had an e36 BMW M3 before and an e46 BMW M3 after for context. The B5S4 was not faster than the e36 M3 at all. It only had 10hp more but weighed 400lbs more with 4wd. The e46 M3 (which was available when I bought the B5S4) had 333hp and weighed 300lbs less. The B5S4 was a nice car and was very quick until the Intercoolers heat soaked (usually after three hard runs in a row), but the contemporary M3s were not worse or slower by any means. I would argue from my experience that both M3s models from that time were indeed faster on the track and on the road.

The current B9S4 weighs roughly the same as the B5 variant yet has 104hp more. The B9 also has nearly perfect 50/50 weight balance which makes it much more fun to drive than the B5 in my opinion. The B5 could be a little off in handling every so often. I think the B9 is the better car, but there have also been 18 years of advancement between the two.

Lastly, the B5 was really small inside. I sold it because I could not fit any of 5 DOT approved baby seats in the car (either could not get them in or could not get more than one adult in with the baby seat). The people at Babies’r’us had a good laugh at my expense that day. Oddly, the baby seat fit fine in the e46 M3.

Anyway, back to OP intent. The B9S4 has been utterly reliable, comforable, plenty fast (speeding ticket!) and it may be a keeper.

Last edited by belin201; 04-12-2019 at 09:49 AM.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

I'm at 26k and have plenty of break left. How did you get to 3 sets? That seems wrong

Originally Posted by belin201
Ok, this thread has gotten way off my OP. I just wanted to share my wear and tear items experience.

At 31k miles now. Will need third set of tires soon. First set (Contis) lasted 14k miles. Current Michelin PS4s at wear bars.

Will need third set of brake pads soon. Not at warning light yet, but soon. Will need to replace rotors. At 17k the dealer quoted $2300 for pads and rotors. I am not going that route.

Lastly, just to chime in on the B5S4 vs B9S4 debate, I owned a 2000 B5S4 new. I had an e36 BMW M3 before and an e46 BMW M3 after for context. The B5S4 was not faster than the e36 M3 at all. It only had 10hp more but weighed 400lbs more with 4wd. The e46 M3 (which was available when I bought the B5S4) had 333hp and weighed 300lbs less. The B5S4 was a nice car and was very quick until the Intercoolers heat soaked (usually after three hard runs in a row), but the contemporary M3s were not worse or slower by any means. I would argue from my experience that both M3s models from that time were indeed faster on the track and on the road.

The current B9S4 weighs roughly the same as the B5 variant yet has 104hp more. The B9 also has nearly perfect 50/50 weight balance which makes it much more fun to drive than the B5 in my opinion. The B5 could be a little off in handling every so often. I think the B9 is the better car, but there have also been 18 years of advancement between the two.

Lastly, the B5 was really small inside. I sold it because I could not fit any of 5 DOT approved baby seats in the car (either could not get them in or could not get more than one adult in with the baby seat). The people at Babies’r’us had a good laugh at my expense that day. Oddly, the baby seat fit fine in the e46 M3.

Anyway, back to OP intent. The B9S4 has been utterly reliable, comforable, plenty fast (speeding ticket!) and it may be a keeper.
Old 04-12-2019, 10:57 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Brake hard and brake late!

its a function of spirited driving and the “accelerate then brake” nature of SoCal freeways.

I always burn through brake pads faster than average. I am a little surprised with the S4 though. The pads and rotors must both be very soft. On the plus side, the rotors have not warped like I have experienced on every BMW I have owned.

Quick Reply: 30,000 mile update