S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

A4/S4/S5 comparison chart

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2017, 09:55 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

https://www.edmunds.com/car-comparisons/
Old 05-20-2017, 05:29 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

I realise the OP is trying to compare, perhaps, "value" in terms of the US pricing/packaging.

But in Germany (and some other markets) you can buy an A4 S/line quattro and option it with:
  • 3.0TDI high output 200kW/600Nm (272hp/443lb-ft) engine
  • Sport differential
  • Adaptive sport suspension
  • Dynamic steering
  • S sport seats

What you can only get on the S4 (some are options) is:
  • Third S mode in the VC
  • Red Napa S sport seats - only black or grey
  • Napa leather is used on the steering wheel and shifter, S/line uses perforated Milano
  • Quad exhausts
  • Silver capped external mirrors
  • Unique rear diffuser
  • Additional lip on trunk spoiler
  • The S brakes, nor red painted calipers
  • S sport adaptive suspension, which differs from sport adaptive suspension
  • Carbon Atlas trim
  • Style S (and BO rotors) wheels

The difference in price is only around $1000 or so when configuring an A4 this way. Point being, Audi don't charge a premium for the S range v the A range, you are just paying for component cost differentials. The RS vehicles use a more bespoke configuration, so not so easy to compare "value".

Roughly (very roughly), the 3.0TFSI engine alone costs around $5000 more than the 2.0TFSI.

The Audi A/S/RS model approach has been around for a long time, is consistent, and is well understood in most countries. Of the just under 2 million cars Audi sell in a year, around 6% are S models, and around 1% are RS. S models have always been unlimited production vehicles, RS models have always been limited production vehicles. Both BMW and Mercedes have tried to replicate this branding approach, but have done a lousy job so far.

An A4 specced very close to S4 levels, in Nogaro Blue ():

A4 S/line, S sport seats black Napa

A4 S/line, black optics, Nogaro Blue

A4 S/line, black optics, Nogaro Blue, V-spoke 19" wheels, sport adaptive suspension

3.0TDI
Old 05-20-2017, 07:51 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Wonder why the US seems to be given a much more limited ability to configure and relies heavily on bundling? Of course what is in the bundle in one year is in another bundle in later years. What used to be called, for instance, Technology Package, includes X,Y and Z, then in later years, Technology gets W or loses Z, etc.

I suspect it is because Americans don't, regularly or frequently, order cars configured to the buyer's exact specs. Americans seem far more focused on making sure their new cars are the color they want (and even then will take their second choice if they can "get it done today.")

I find it quite frustrating to sign onto the German Audi site and then onto the US site -- it's like we are only given a fraction of the configuration capabilities that are offered elsewhere.

In any case, for the most part, if we (in the US) want a comparison, the mfgr's website is what we have to rely on.

My pet peeve was I wanted the red calipers -- $400 as a stand alone option. I'd have gone for it. $1,640 from the parts department. This year Audi decided (in the US) to bundle the calipers with the suspension and sport diff.

Not so in Canada.

Dealer says the only way to get them stand alone, in the US, would be via the Audi Exclusive program -- which has a "pay to play" charge of $2,500. Meaning the calipers could only be had via that path at a cost of $2,900.

I've 95% decided to live with the shiny black calipers -- I know they are entirely cosmetic.

My guess is, most folks don't even know ordering is possible because they've been discouraged from doing so (by other makes) forever.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 05-22-2017 at 10:40 AM.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:30 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
Wonder why the US seems to be given a much more limited ability to configure and relies heavily on bundling? Of course what is in the bundle in one year is in another bundle in later years. What used to be called, for instance, Technology Package, includes X,Y and Z, then in later years, Technology gets W or looses Z, etc.

I suspect it is because Americans don't, regularly or frequently, order cars configured to the buyer's exact specs. Americans seem far more focused on making sure their new cars are the color they want (and even then will take their second choice if they can "get it done today.")

I find it quite frustrating to sign onto the German Audi site and then onto the US site -- it's like we are only given a fraction of the configuration capabilities that are offered elsewhere.

In any case, for the most part, if we (in the US) want a comparison, the mfgr's website is what we have to rely on.

My pet peeve was I wanted the red calipers -- $400 as a stand alone option. I'd have gone for it. $1,640 from the parts department. This year Audi decided (in the US) to bundle the calipers with the suspension and sport diff.

Not so in Canada.

Dealer says the only way to get them stand alone, in the US, would be via the Audi Exclusive program -- which has a "pay to play" charge of $2,500. Meaning the calipers could only be had via that path at a cost of $2,900.

I've 95% decided to live with the shiny black calipers -- I know they are entirely cosmetic.

My guess is, most folks don't even know ordering is possible because they've been discouraged from doing so (by other makes) forever.
You are correct, Americans for the most part don't like to wait for their order so Audi and most other car companies offer a let's say lighter equipped version (Premium Plus) and a well equipped version (Prestige) to satisfy the needs of most customers.

In Germany everyone basically orders their car exactly the way they want, we are willing to wait just to get the car exactly how we want them. I remember waiting for my first Audi back in 99 for 9 month.

Offering limited trims is much more efficient for the manufacturer and maybe that's also the reason why the cars in the US market are about 20% less expensive.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

I'm sure proximity to the the Audi build plant has something to do with it. I ordered my car exactly as I wanted it and am now waiting 3.5 months for delivery. Packaging the most common bundles allows Audi to stock the market without leaving stale inventory for less commonly ordered features.

Im sure if the lead time was similar to that of a European order, we would be more likely to order cars that way. That said, if we are willing to wait, we should have the same options as the European market.
Old 05-22-2017, 09:54 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Love the BO tail lights on the A4 in the rendering above!!!!
Old 05-22-2017, 10:17 AM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by VipinLJ
Love the BO tail lights on the A4 in the rendering above!!!!
Are the BO Tails different than the standard ones? I didn't see that as one of the items that's changed.

19" 5-arm-rotor design wheels, matte titanium finish, with 245/35 summer tires
Body-colored exterior side mirror housings
Titanium black exterior trim
Old 05-29-2017, 11:21 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by ibu11et
Are the BO Tails different than the standard ones? I didn't see that as one of the items that's changed.

19" 5-arm-rotor design wheels, matte titanium finish, with 245/35 summer tires
Body-colored exterior side mirror housings
Titanium black exterior trim
Either there is a change because it looks darker. Or just that the rendering is different.
Old 05-29-2017, 01:49 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 35 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
There is no factory option for [....] nor for dressed pedals.
Option LMC.