S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Adaptations versus Long Coding in OBD11

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2019, 10:50 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Adaptations versus Long Coding in OBD11

Quick question. I have a B9 S4. I have enabled some things through the easy Adaptation menu. I want to enable Auto Opening when Approaching (I also see when leaving...curious if my car will auto lock if I detects me moving away but we will see.) This setting is in the Long Coding menu. My understanding is OBD11 has a "noob long coding menu" (you still get a list with relatively self explanatory settings per module) and true coding (0s and 1s.)

This particular setting is in the Noob Long Coding. I go into comfort settings for key, and I can find the thing I need to change to Activated. Problem is unlike Adaptations, where I green check THE SPECIFIC CHANGE, long coding looks like I can make a change, but the green check is at the screen that lists ALL settings for that module.

I am worried I will write ALL settings, and worried it will wrongfully activate or deactivate stuff I dont want. Or is OBD11/Audi smart enough where it only actually writes what I changed, despite the green checkmark making it look like I am going to (re)commit all these settings?

If it does recommit, is it that big of a deal as its my understanding OBD11 is showing me Active/Non-active based on what it is reading from the car, so technically speaking it would write all settings, just most would be the same except for my one change?

Not to brain dump, but I will...: This still worries me, as I have seen some long coding settings that dont match what my car has- like tilt mirror is '"Not active" even though I know I have it active. Or Horn beep when locking is active when I know its actually not (I get a chirp.) I know some things need multiple settings set. Is OBD11 ONLY showing me stuff it has READ from the car, and I am just seeing "messy code" left over from Audi programmers, etc...?
Old 04-14-2019, 10:22 PM
AudiWorld Uber User

Received 279 Likes on 213 Posts

I don't know about how OBD11 works but the VAG-COM only writes the registers that you changed, not the entire memory page.
Old 04-15-2019, 03:41 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

There are a lot of adaptations that no longer work in B9's.. If you want to avoid screwing your car up, I'd probably stick to the list of what a lot of people already figured out for the B9.. I've found this list to be pretty thorough:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.7aehxzud3x3v

Also -- have you seen this? http://forum.obdeleven.com/thread/102/long-coding

Last edited by RickNY; 04-15-2019 at 03:52 AM.
Old 04-15-2019, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 51 Likes on 42 Posts

Originally Posted by RickNY
There are a lot of adaptations that no longer work in B9's.. If you want to avoid screwing your car up, I'd probably stick to the list of what a lot of people already figured out for the B9.. I've found this list to be pretty thorough:
https://docs.google.com/document/d/1...h.7aehxzud3x3v

Also -- have you seen this? LONG CODING | OBDeleven
Thank you. Will look at these.