S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Aluminum Vs. Carbon Inlays?

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2018, 12:45 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I ordered aluminum because I didn't want to pay extra, figured the shiny carbon would show scratches more easily, and thought that the carbon made the interior too uniformly black.

Now I'm worried!
Old 06-07-2018, 12:59 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 141 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by kpalakode
they said the parts are more expensive than if you get it when you first order the car and they all ship from germany.
Of course! Your car could easily add-up to $150k if you bought it in parts...

BTW, if you want, you can also do a wrap. I know many people who did this themselves but there are lots of companies who will do it for you as well.

Services ? WANNABE RACER CAR WRAPS
Old 06-07-2018, 06:32 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Old 06-09-2018, 10:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Right - just managed to squeeze the upgrade change to Carbon Inlays
Old 06-10-2018, 05:30 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just got done renting an A4 through Silvercar which was a really good experience. I did notice that the A4 aluminum trim is of a different kind than the S4. The one in the A4 is more of a diamond pattern and seemed much more scratch resistant than the brushed pattern. It seemed to have a ‘coating’ on it that felt more slick than matte. I think I would prefer this to the aluminum trim in the S4.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:30 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

I agree....the brushed aluminum on the S cars doesn't seem to hold up as well as the aluminum patterns on "lesser" trims. The basic A4 has aluminum trim, and when I see loaner cars they are not dented or scratched. However I have seen a number of "S" cars that have dents and scratches. it's a shame really....I think the S cars get a crummy choices for trim. My TT has 30,000 miles now, and there is not a dent ding or scratch, but ti's the highly patterned aluminum. To me the carbon fiber trim just blends in with the black interiors and is barely even noticeable, a real disappointment. I wish they offered some "wow" trim on the S cars, like the anthracite-alluminum TT trim I have or the black and aluminum pinstriped wood.
Old 06-11-2018, 03:55 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Originally Posted by farmerjones
I agree....the brushed aluminum on the S cars doesn't seem to hold up as well as the aluminum patterns on "lesser" trims. The basic A4 has aluminum trim, and when I see loaner cars they are not dented or scratched. However I have seen a number of "S" cars that have dents and scratches. it's a shame really....I think the S cars get a crummy choices for trim. My TT has 30,000 miles now, and there is not a dent ding or scratch, but ti's the highly patterned aluminum. To me the carbon fiber trim just blends in with the black interiors and is barely even noticeable, a real disappointment. I wish they offered some "wow" trim on the S cars, like the anthracite-alluminum TT trim I have or the black and aluminum pinstriped wood.
When they did offer the black wood with aluminum pin stripe for the B8 generation, I think I've seen a total of 1 car equipped with it. I personally thought it looked fantastic but it certainly did not sell well and I could see why it is no longer offered.
Old 06-11-2018, 06:39 AM
AudiWorld Member

Now you all have me nervous about ordering the aluminum. I prefer the way it looks--but not it's all dented and scratched!
Old 06-11-2018, 07:58 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

carbon fiber all the way!
Old 06-11-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 152 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD
When they did offer the black wood with aluminum pin stripe for the B8 generation, I think I've seen a total of 1 car equipped with it. I personally thought it looked fantastic but it certainly did not sell well and I could see why it is no longer offered.
For the same reason Audi fails to offer us ANY "fun" interior choices....it didn't sell... because Audi didn't build any cool color/trim combos for stock, dealers won't order anything but black and silver anything with "safe" options, and many Audi buyers simply didn't know an option was available (because you can't ever see it in real life in dealer inventory) or were unable to wait for a special-order build.

The black pinstriped wood was HUGLY popular in the A6/A7 cars, and I've never meet someone that didn't think that it wasn't amazing. So I find it not convincing to say "it didn't sell well" was ACTUALLY due to customers not liking it.... It's the same fate for two-toned seats and most Audi Design Select packages along with "bold" colors. Apparently piano-black trim (aka lacquered plastic) is all the rage and worth paying extra for, or we can go for the drab carbon fiber that has potential to be cool but pair it with all-black interiors that make it blend in and virtually unnoticeable. How about the color-carbon weave being made available product-wide? Audi is too reserved to do that.

It just like saying they cancelled some trim for "lack of demand"...but then they launch a new RS model and put it there. It's cool enough for an RS car, but you cancelled it because of "lack of demand" on other models? You can't have it both ways. It's just cost-cutting with fewer choices, plain and simple. I find the brushed aluminum in most S cars looks like it should be a base-car trim, it's that boring to me personally. Look at the other allumium color tints or patters that exist...there are better choices. Why not do copper metal trim, or drift wood like Volvo, or stone veneers....just spice up the interiors already, plenty would put down money for it if the dealers had cars to see before they ordered or purchased. This is a problem plaguing almost every manufacturer right now.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Vs. Carbon Inlays?