S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Any one knows if the new RS4 is coming to US?

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2017, 11:31 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any one knows if the new RS4 is coming to US?

Always love the Avant. (Got a B6 S4 Avant when it first become available).
Debating with wife, should we get the RS3 or RS4. If RS4 Avant is coming to States, then we will definitely get that one.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:08 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

No immediate plans for even a sedan at this point.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:39 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Seriously doubt it. The RS avants have never come to the U.S. I think the RS5 sportback may be a better bet, but I am just guessing.
Old 05-22-2017, 02:41 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Yep, RS5 is on the horizon
Old 05-22-2017, 02:55 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 42 Likes on 28 Posts

What we, as Audi dealer frequent visitors seem to witness:

A "regular," pretty well equipped A3, A4, A5, A6 and even some A8's arrive for "inventory."

The show room is arranged perhaps in accordance with current Feng Shui thinking and the cars -- other than Q7's (and it used to be Q5's) -- sit like Christmas presents under the tree the day after Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, S3, S4, S5, RS5, S6 (and even an A6 performance edition) and S8's and S8+ (along with the rare SQ5) arrive on a given Tuesday, whereupon I call my rep to arrange a test drive (for Saturday), given check-in and PD (pre-delivery) requirements, it is at least one day, after the truck pulls in, before the car is ready for customers, meaning, practically, that the car is ready to go by Thursday.

So I show up on Saturday -- and POOF -- the cars have been sold and delivered.

What happened? Can potential "S" buyers SMELL new inventory?

You'd think it would be a good thing to order more S variants, they go so fast.

Now, I do understand that if supply is kept "low" (artificially), prices will hold closer to MSRP. But, really, an RS7 comes in and the damn thing's engine isn't even cooled down from driving it onto the showroom floor -- the next day, if I'm lyin' I'm dyin', the RS7 is but a memory -- there isn't even any exhaust smell it has stayed such a short time.

I ordered TWO S4's one in Ibis with Driver Assistance and Sport Package (Prestige model) with summer tires and the 18" wheels; also ordered a Daytona Gray Pearl same red leather, same Prestige configuration, same driver assistance, same wheels -- just minus the sport package. Cars were about $1,500 apart.

I have, for years, never paid for paint, so I threw convention to the wind and took the Daytona Gray Pearl config. I thought I would at least DRIVE the Ibis config just to see what the "sport adaptive suspension and sport diff added to the equation."

I picked up my new S4 (on a Saturday). My rep has Monday's off. I called him on Tuesday to arrange for my previously discussed "test drive."

Sorry, Mark, it was sold yesterday. Arrived on Thursday, gone on Monday.

Assuming we're all getting 6% off and not bitchin' and moaning about price all of the time, there must be some good margin for the dealer in these cars.

It would appear "no grass will grow" under the tires of a new "S" Audi.

The reps are forever complaining that they can't get enough Q7's -- sales are constrained by supply so they say. And, the Q7 is not included in the ACNA 6% discount program.

Doesn't this go to suggest that S car sales are "inventory" constrained?

Is it that they're "hard" to build? I mean, c'mon, the S4 is just the top of the A4 line, it's not an RS 4 for pity's sake. Realizing that Audi must want to keep some of the mystique alive about the "S" models, I guess they might DELIBERATELY prevent dealers from "stocking up" on the cars, but I have to assume an S4 has more margin than an A4, why not keep increasing supply until a 6% discount won't move them. Currently, I'd say the data suggests there is no danger in that.

Frankly, the car that I have the most pity for the sales staff with is the Q7, it seems like they're sold NIFO -- Next in First Out.

Must be nice. Until you realize that Americans can't or won't order cars and that Audi dealers seem to always be a day late and a dollar short with respect to inventory of the models the market would BUY TODAY.

Of course, my wife and I visit the dealership, probably 3x per month -- given that they offer car wash + interior wipe and vacuum to all customers, so we're able to witness the cars come in, the cars go out, as if they're on a conveyor belt.

I know sales is a hard profession -- even for LPS cars and with products as good as Audis (and we have two Audi dealers, two BMW and two Mercedes dealers too, which probably means folks cross shop them, customer/dealer relationship building be damned); but, why in the wide wide world of sports do we build popular cars and make them, essentially, unavailable? Lambos I understand, even some Porsches, I get, but Audis are, generally, not exotics, just great premium cars.

Last edited by markcincinnati; 05-22-2017 at 03:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:01 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
What we, as Audi dealer frequent visitors seem to witness:

A "regular," pretty well equipped A3, A4, A5, A6 and even some A8's arrive for "inventory."

The show room is arranged perhaps in accordance with current Feng Shui thinking and the cars -- other than Q7's (and it used to be Q5's) -- sit like Christmas presents under the tree the day after Thanksgiving.

On the other hand, S3, S4, S5, RS5, S6 (and even an A6 performance edition) and S8's and S8+ (along with the rare SQ5) arrive on a given Tuesday, whereupon I call my rep to arrange a test drive (for Saturday), given check-in and PD (pre-delivery) requirements, it is at least one day, after the truck pulls in, before the car is ready for customers, meaning, practically, that the car is ready to go by Thursday.

So I show up on Saturday -- and POOF -- the cars have been sold and delivered.

What happened? Can potential "S" buyers SMELL new inventory?

You'd think it would be a good thing to order more S variants, they go so fast.

Now, I do understand that if supply is kept "low" (artificially), prices will hold closer to MSRP. But, really, an RS7 comes in and the damn thing's engine isn't even cooled down from driving it onto the showroom floor -- the next day, if I'm lyin' I'm dyin', the RS7 is but a memory -- there isn't even any exhaust smell it has stayed such a short time.

I ordered TWO S4's one in Ibis with Driver Assistance and Sport Package (Prestige model) with summer tires and the 18" wheels; also ordered a Daytona Gray Pearl same red leather, same Prestige configuration, same driver assistance, same wheels -- just minus the sport package. Cars were about $1,500 apart.

I have, for years, never paid for paint, so I threw convention to the wind and took the Daytona Gray Pearl config. I thought I would at least DRIVE the Ibis config just to see what the "sport adaptive suspension and sport diff added to the equation."

I picked up my new S4 (on a Saturday). My rep has Monday's off. I called him on Tuesday to arrange for my previously discussed "test drive."

Sorry, Mark, it was sold yesterday. Arrived on Thursday, gone on Monday.

Assuming we're all getting 6% off and not bitchin' and moaning about price all of the time, there must be some good margin for the dealer in these cars.

It would appear "no grass will grow" under the tires of a new "S" Audi.

The reps are forever complaining that they can't get enough Q7's -- sales are constrained by supply so they say. And, the Q7 is not included in the ACNA 6% discount program.

Doesn't this go to suggest that S car sales are "inventory" constrained?

Is it that they're "hard" to build? I mean, c'mon, the S4 is just the top of the A4 line, it's not an RS 4 for pity's sake. Realizing that Audi must want to keep some of the mystique alive about the "S" models, I guess they might DELIBERATELY prevent dealers from "stocking up" on the cars, but I have to assume an S4 has more margin than an A4, why not keep increasing supply until a 6% discount won't move them. Currently, I'd say the data suggests there is no danger in that.

Frankly, the car that I have the most pity for the sales staff with is the Q7, it seems like they're sold NIFO -- Next in First Out.

Must be nice. Until you realize that Americans can't or won't order cars and that Audi dealers seem to always be a day late and a dollar short with respect to inventory of the models the market would BUY TODAY.

Except your theory is wrong

Margin isnt made on a car - it's made on servicing a car. One doesn't have more margin than another on a % basis. On a $ basis sure - because S models cost substantially more than their standard A counterparts.

Inventory is a complicated thing. Suffice it to say, not every dealer has access to the same "build slots" as others. Supply and demand, and demographics of that particular region.

To say Americans don't order cars might be right. To say Audi buyers don't would be patently incorrect. Does it happen day in and day out? No. Does it happen often - very.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:13 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You know Mark, it is funny you posted this. I was just thinking about the S4s on my local dealership's lot. To the best of my snooping ability, they got 3 "launch" cars allocated to them. Those cars arrived going on 5 weeks ago. They parked them out back (yes, back) with most of the other "NEW" inventory.

2 of the 3 cars are STILL there. (Of course I got the line about, "We've sold all of our S4s at full MSRP..." back when I was making my deal.) I guess maybe that was one car. I don't see any evidence for them having sold more. Maybe put one in the SHOWROOM?

Oh, looky: https://www.audiofbirmingham.com/new...nchor-model-11

Last edited by Talbot; 05-22-2017 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-22-2017, 03:31 PM
AudiWorld Super User

The showroom thing is an interesting one. Some get it better than others, but that also has many factors
Old 05-22-2017, 04:14 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 589 Likes on 423 Posts

Nope. The head of Audi Sport already said the RS4 will be a station wagon only because that's what people expect it to be. He also said that station wagons don't sell in North America or China so they're going to be looking at other bodystyles and he suggested a sport back type model might sell in those locations.

I hope we get at least a RS5 Sportback but until we hear something from Audi or see camouflaged test vehicles it's all rumour and speculation.
Old 05-22-2017, 04:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

As others have said. Nope. "Ze Germans" don't think it's worth it for the few cars they will sell. Enthusiasts gush over RS4's and manual gearboxes alike, but enthusiasts aren't always the same demographic as "Buyers".

Now, I do think they will bring an RS5 coupe or maybe sportback over (damn them, just bring the RS4 Avant over, it's closer to a sportback every generation anyway).

At this rate, we have more chance of C-Class AMG's with 4Matic or M3's and M4's with xDrive.

Now wouldn't that be something...?

Quick Reply: Any one knows if the new RS4 is coming to US?