S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Anyone get ventilated seats?

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 06:37 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

Originally Posted by jjsC6
That's a BS answer. It costs no more to have your supplier provide other standard colors. Besides, I'll turn that around. If they offered them in more colors, and especially if they were still the diamond stitched seats, they would sell more of them.

Many people on the S6/7 forums say they would like ventilated seats but they don't want to give up the diamond stitching.
There may be additional cost to produce different colored leathers but the big cost is in the supply chain. Now they have to produce replacement parts and manage inventory for multiple SKUs instead of one. There's a lot of cost and time involved in that make making them one color is a lot cheaper. If the customer demand was there for multiple colored seats they would be an option. People saying so on internet forums don't make it so.
Old 05-15-2017, 07:06 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
There may be additional cost to produce different colored leathers but the big cost is in the supply chain. Now they have to produce replacement parts and manage inventory for multiple SKUs instead of one. There's a lot of cost and time involved in that make making them one color is a lot cheaper. If the customer demand was there for multiple colored seats they would be an option. People saying so on internet forums don't make it so.
I've told my dealer it was probably going to be a show stopper. But this is not rocket science. Lots of cars are available with ventilated seats. I just counted, I've owned 10 vehicles with them. There is not another mfr out there that only offers them in one color. And BLACK no less. I want ventilated seats to make the seats cooler. Black is a hotter color. Makes no sense, and I still don't buy that it's that costly. And I don't owe it to Audi to tell them instead of just posting it on a forum.

Could I still buy an S4? Maybe. But to me car buying is like a points system. No car is perfect. Without actually keep score, I mentally consider what is important to me and what is not. The S4 has a few things that are pretty important to me working against it. And I can buy a 540 BMW with what I want on it for $4-5,000 more than an S4.

Let me ask you northerners a question. How would you like it if you could only get heated seats in one color, and not with the diamond stitching?

Last edited by jjsC6; 05-15-2017 at 07:08 AM.
Old 05-15-2017, 08:11 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If they offered them in more colors, and especially if they were still the diamond stitched seats, they would sell more of them. Many people on the S6/7 forums say they would like ventilated seats but they don't want to give up the diamond stitching.

Youbetcha. It took me weeks to decide which way to go. I've ALWAYS pined for those diamond-stitched seats. I chose those over the ventilated seats, even in hot-assed Alabama. I'd have paid more money to have both. I'm scared to think how much more money they could have separated me from to get a combination of both. (I do realize that technically having both the stitched and ventilated could be a technical feat).
Old 05-15-2017, 08:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I should add one more thing here....

My wife's Macan has ventilated seats. In as much as they are nice, they don't really ventilate me to the extent where I say, "Oh man, this is so great that I cannot live without them." By that I mean... they're really just not ALL THAT.

By contrast, the diamond stitched seats, TO ME (as Mark might say), are something I expect I will love every time I get in the car.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:02 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 587 Likes on 422 Posts

I've told my dealer it was probably going to be a show stopper. But this is not rocket science. Lots of cars are available with ventilated seats. I just counted, I've owned 10 vehicles with them. There is not another mfr out there that only offers them in one color. And BLACK no less. I want ventilated seats to make the seats cooler. Black is a hotter color. Makes no sense, and I still don't buy that it's that costly. And I don't owe it to Audi to tell them instead of just posting it on a forum.

Could I still buy an S4? Maybe. But to me car buying is like a points system. No car is perfect. Without actually keep score, I mentally consider what is important to me and what is not. The S4 has a few things that are pretty important to me working against it. And I can buy a 540 BMW with what I want on it for $4-5,000 more than an S4.

Let me ask you northerners a question. How would you like it if you could only get heated seats in one color, and not with the diamond stitching?
That's your prerogative. I just explained Audi's rationale in offering the ventilated only in black.
Old 05-15-2017, 09:08 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I used to drive a 5 series. I did not find it particularly sporty.
Old 05-15-2017, 10:24 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by jrw1
I used to drive a 5 series. I did not find it particularly sporty.
I live in Houston and virtually all of my miles on my car are commuting. I love sports cars as much as anyone and have owned many. But right now I want a Luxury car that is a little sporty more than a sporty car that is a little luxurious. If I lived where my commute was better I'd agree. I ride my motorcycles on average 500 miles a weekend in search of the good roads.

Old 05-15-2017, 10:25 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Originally Posted by JohnEnglish
That's your prerogative. I just explained Audi's rationale in offering the ventilated only in black.
👍
Old 05-15-2017, 11:42 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

I live in Houston and virtually all of my miles on my car are commuting. I love sports cars as much as anyone and have owned many. But right now I want a Luxury car that is a little sporty more than a sporty car that is a little luxurious. If I lived where my commute was better I'd agree. I ride my motorcycles on average 500 miles a weekend in search of the good roads.

Hey, I live in Houston as well, and I can relate! If you have a moment, perhaps you can send me a private email with a list of your favorite good roads.

I also live in Houston and can relate! If you have a moment, perhaps you can send a private email to me with a list of the good roads, as I have not found many!
Old 05-16-2017, 06:34 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ordered vented seats. Living here in ATL can get warm. Wish I had vented seats in my 2013 S4. When ordering, dealer messed up and added Napa Leather and Warm Weather Package. Those two are incompatible. Had to get that removed in the order system.

Though on another post, I believe the vented seats do not blow cool air; e.g pulls air away in the A4 family.

In a YouTube video demoing Congestion Assistant in an A4, the driver in the MIA area had the heated and cooled seats on at the same time. Not sure if I saw that correctly.

Hopefully when someone gets one, can post pics. I will post pics when my S4 gets in ~June.

Quick Reply: Anyone get ventilated seats?