S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Anyone install radar yet?

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2017, 08:01 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tliu91
did u literally just pull down as hard as you could?
Pretty hard, but not quite that hard.
Old 12-03-2017, 04:04 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 10 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by cpippolo
I used a mirror tap to connect to the wiring harness for the mirror. The middle trim piece also gave me fits, but finally pried hard on it and it came loose with no problems. I used the Blendmount mirror mount (and mirror tap) and Valentine from my Porsche Cayman and worked fine. I understand the view that the radar detector is too low hanging from the mirror, but it doesn't bother me there and I wasn't interested in suction cup mounting or visor mounting
In case anyone else is having issues with this, I recently hardwired my dash cam and had fits with this piece of trim as well. I took a picture of the tabs, and I think it might help... The hooks on the sides can be released by pulling them away from the mirror assembly. The tabs by the headliner are much harder, they are REALLY stuck in there. I ended up getting one to pop, and when I was able to see it, I was able to "pinch" the second one with some pliers and it popped right off. If I had a better trim puller it probably would have done the job. Anyway, here's a shot of the offending tabs:

These hook directly into two little plastic pieces that are part of the headliner. Hope this helps someone else!
Old 12-08-2017, 12:01 PM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Originally Posted by zamboni27
I used the Valentine saavy which plugs into the diagnostic port to power my uniden R1. I also got the 7 dollar 3m mount from eBay to attach it directly to the windshield (no suction cups for me) as high up as I can get it close to the headliner as possible and right ABOVE the mirror. I ran the cable up the pillar which took all of 5 mins using a trim tool. The whole install took 10 minutes tops.

Personally I think the mirror mounts look like crap, especially in our cars as the mirror is rather low. You might as well advertise to cops and everyone else you have a detector, but to each his own. I wanted stealth and run dark.

You can't see mine from outside the car unless you look really hard and are looking for it. I have never taken it down.

​​​​​​I have owned about 10 V1 detectors and won't go back anytime soon. Love the R1 and R3. Uniden support is top notch.
Hi, my R3 should be here today, swapping from a V1. I was also trying to figure out if I should mirror mount it because the mirror is so low in this car. Could you share a pic of how yours is mounted and any downfalls if any with where it's at? The saavy idea is a neat trick.
Old 12-14-2017, 04:43 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

For those who used the Mirror Tap to steal power.....can you either post pics to describe how you made this work??

In one of my previous Audis, I tried to use the Mirror Tap and the ends of the wire were too large to "tap" into the molex sectors
of the mirror harness.
I would have had to splice or physically tap the wires to steal power, and that's not how the Mirror Tap is supposed to work.

thanks,
gr
Old 12-15-2017, 12:25 AM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Don't own an S4 yet, but this will help when I finally pull the trigger in the spring. Mucho thanks!
Old 12-15-2017, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by ghostrider990
For those who used the Mirror Tap to steal power.....can you either post pics to describe how you made this work??

In one of my previous Audis, I tried to use the Mirror Tap and the ends of the wire were too large to "tap" into the molex sectors
of the mirror harness.
I would have had to splice or physically tap the wires to steal power, and that's not how the Mirror Tap is supposed to work.

thanks,
gr
I've used mirror tap in both B8.5 S4's I've owned and my current C7 S6. The little blades just slide down beside where the wires insert into the back side of the molex connector. I wonder if you are putting these in the right place? It really was very easy once I found a location around the wire where there was sufficient room to slide the metal blade. I'll take pictures for you in about a month or so when I take the mirror tap out of the S6 to trade it in for my new B9 (that I think is waiting to be loaded onto a boat in Germany right now!).
Old 12-15-2017, 12:51 PM
AudiWorld Member

Thanks.
I'll likely have it done before you get in there next month, but it can't hurt to post up the pics.

I'll try and do the same if I can ever pry-off those damn plastic pieces. Sheesh!!

gr
Old 12-17-2017, 05:15 AM
AudiWorld Member

I tackled the trim last night. That bigger piece is a *****, but persistence paid off.

I thought I'd post a few pics to help others who may still have questions, as I did, about pulling these pieces off.
Following Alex and Joeyalex's instructions above, I'll add a few pics to be illustrative of their good works.

I did not have a proper trim puller, and for the life of me - I don't know why I've never purchased one for all of the tinkering I've done on
my cars over the years. That said, I used a set of rigid flat putty knives to get under the larger trim piece closest to the headliner.
For the record, it became MUCH easier to access the larger clips to the rear of the trim once the side tabs had been released.
Your experience may be different.
Once I had the side closest to me released, I was able to lever the putty knife in, and then squeeze the main tab with a pair of needle nose pliers.
ONce that was done - the larger trim cover almost fell away.

it may not be necessary, but I also removed the mirror from the glass mount - mostly out of curiosity. I like to take things apart, and reassemble.
I believe it will simply twist counterclockwise from the mount, but I also pried on the four "claws" that secure it, and that helped in removal.

The small plastic connector with the Yellow and Brown wires is easily seen and mounts on the "neck" of the mirror. I took this out simply to be able to get my fingers and wires into the small holes.
Wires are seen correctly installed. It did take a bit of effort to get the wiretap spades pushed into the shared junctions, but they fit snugly and have zero chance of coming out on their own.
After this is accomplished, it's simply a matter of routing the wire out of the trim to suit your mounting location.
I bought the 9" long wiretap adapter, and this proved to be JUST long enough to mount the radar next to and above the mirror.

Just want to say thanks to the guys who posted up these instructions, and pics. I gave up on this project before.

Mirror Mount Backing
Old 12-17-2017, 05:22 AM
AudiWorld Member

Old 12-17-2017, 05:25 AM
AudiWorld Member

Quick Reply: Anyone install radar yet?