S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi Beam Rings/Puddle lights install fail!

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2018, 05:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Audi Beam Rings/Puddle lights install fail!

I ordered oem puddle lights, and they arrived today. Took a thin flathead screw driver and went to pop out the originals, and there is no indent cutout to pry the module out. I checked all 4 doors, and the tolerances are pretty tight, as though the plastic door trim and the original unit are heat shrunk together- (not really, but tight). All the videos on this seemingly idiot proof mod show a cutout tab to pry the flathead into, or trim with at least some tolerance to wedge a flat head into. I didn’t want to mar the trim, or break the original light, so I gave up.
Anyone else encounter this on a recent build S4? I guess I can order and try a trim removal tool, but Im not even sure that’ll work.
Old 04-19-2018, 07:17 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 1,091 Likes on 770 Posts

Originally Posted by Eli McCraig
I ordered oem puddle lights, and they arrived today. Took a thin flathead screw driver and went to pop out the originals, and there is no indent cutout to pry the module out. I checked all 4 doors, and the tolerances are pretty tight, as though the plastic door trim and the original unit are heat shrunk together- (not really, but tight). All the videos on this seemingly idiot proof mod show a cutout tab to pry the flathead into, or trim with at least some tolerance to wedge a flat head into. I didn’t want to mar the trim, or break the original light, so I gave up.
Anyone else encounter this on a recent build S4? I guess I can order and try a trim removal tool, but Im not even sure that’ll work.
If you look from directly underneath the light, there is an indent where a very small (jewlers flat head) screwdriver will fit. I do it all the time for clients, it takes less than a minute per side
Old 04-21-2018, 03:16 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Be mindful as well: those LED puddle lights get EXTREMELY HOT!!

When you pop them out, be prepared.

And DAMN are the Audi replacements EXPENSIVE. Seriously cool bit of bling though.....love the Audi Sport or 4 Rings Options.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:42 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I encountered a bit of difficulty taking the basic puddle lights out to put in the nice ring ones. Ended up breaking a piece on the original while taking them out, but didn't care since I just tossed them anyway. A bit of plastic on the edge was slightly marred, but unless you are 5 inches tall nobody is going to be looking there anyway.

It looks like almost everyone getting the OEMs is paying out the nose for them. The cheaper knock-off ones look like crap though. Not sharp or bright enough. The OEM beam rings look fantastic. I was able to get some OEMs for 98 Euro from an Audi Dealer networked into the German version of Amazon. They won't deliver to the US though, so you'd need a friend in Europe that can re-send them for you. I'd offer up help, but I'm on my way back stateside at the moment. Product link below:

https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XFXJTRP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.de/gp/product/B06XFXJTRP/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 05-01-2018, 07:34 AM
AudiWorld Member

Well, the trim removal tools came, and it took about 10 minutes to install for all 4- no breakage of the originals. Can’t wait for sunset to check these out.
Old 05-01-2018, 10:38 AM
ZF8
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Sounds like trim tools are the way to go since flathead screwdrivers may have a tendency to scratch the trim and/or damage the lights in the process. Thanks for sharing as I'll be upgrading my door lights as well when I get around to it.

Last edited by ZF8; 05-01-2018 at 11:14 AM.
Old 05-01-2018, 05:58 PM
AudiWorld Member

Default Very crisp/ bright.

Not sure I’m loving it, it looks very sharp, bright and defined, so we’ll see if it grows on me. Or if I even notice after a while.
Old 07-16-2018, 12:50 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does anybody know where to get a custom image for the projection lights?
Old 07-29-2018, 01:06 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do all s5 come with the led puddle lights, as I was going to order the 4 ring oem leds and the vendor asked me if my car comes standard with the led puddle lights or normal puddle light, as if its normal puddle light then the 4 ring led puddle light will not work, I searched and could not find any info, if some one can help out, thanks
Old 07-29-2018, 01:35 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Yes, your B9 S5 comes with led puddle lights. Older Audi's had normal puddles which have a different connector than the led version.

Here's the oem part # I purchased. 4G0.052.133G Approx $110 shipped from either Ebay.uk or Ebay.de.

Last edited by up-n-coming; 07-29-2018 at 02:18 PM. Reason: added part #