S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi Drive Mode

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-2018, 02:46 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by markcincinnati
This is my second S4 (my S6 was a manual transmission) -- this one, of course, is turbo-charged and my'14 was super-charged. Although I get around the "S" mode's refusal to upshift to the terminal gear by using cruise control, I simply feel the car is way too "laggy" if left in "D". There is a paucity of information about how the transmission/engine "adapts" when left in "D" and "Auto", there seems to be one thing that I overlooked, missed or just plain didn't know. The settings "Comfort", "Auto", and "Dynamic" mean either "Comfort" or "Dynamic" -- there isn't a continuum. For either luxury or economy reasons, the S4 seems to be hell-bent on selecting a "comfort" bias, unless you literally set the thing into "Dynamic".

The bottom line, for me (your mileage may vary), I set ADS to:

Engine/Transmission: Dynamic
Steering: Auto (which seems, largely, to remain in Comfort, but, from time-to-time heavying up by going into Dynamic)
Engine Sound: Comfort (which substantially reduces the "drone" but still will emit the "fart-sound" on full-throttle upshifts)

Then, when I start the car I "double pull" into "S" mode since the default, regardless of your stated ADS preference is always "D" -- responsiveness is improved in "S" since upshifts happen a bit later than when the transmission is in "D" (about a couple hundred RPMs higher).

Typically, I engage ACC, which takes care of the terminal gear situation.

I test drove an RS5 and it is clear Audi knows how to make this engine, chassis not "drone" -- but that was with a somewhat pricey package, but it almost made the thing sound like it had a basso-profundo V8. Within reason, I would pay for this option which allowed a V8-like burble or a nearly silent (except when under full-throttle) personality.

In any case, you bought an "S"4, it should be only, exclusively, totally, and always driven in "S" mode.

Finally, regarding the ADS "Individual" mode, some folks have additional parms (e.g., if you have the torque vectoring rear differential), I mentioned only the parms (in my above example) that are universally applicable.

As I am wont to say: Drive it like YOU live, if you choose to go "Auto" or/and always drive in "D", you should, er, "follow your arrow," not mine.
Would you mind sharing the rest of your settings in Individual mode? Just curious what you've settled on after having the car for several months. I just got my S4 a couple of weeks ago and am still playing with the settings, but I like what you have so far...