S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi Pre-sense scared the sh*t out of me

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2018, 08:07 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have had the presense lock up my brakes a bunch of times but only while backing up and moving very slowly... until today. Today I was going about 40mph on a two lane road with no car ahead of me or behind me, and all of the sudden it showed me the red triangle and locked up the brakes. This is unacceptable. Really, has nobody found a way to disable this semi-permanently? OBD11? Disconnect a cable to the sensors so the car thinks the system is malfunctioning? Tape over the sensors? Software upgrade? Lawsuit? I can't believe this problem doesn't have a solution. And I can't believe Audi isn't getting shamed for this.
Old 09-17-2018, 11:23 PM
AudiWorld Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There’s a setting on the MMI that allows you to change detection from Early (default) to Medium or Late. I deleted the middle option and most of my false alarms were eliminated.

HTH!
Old 09-18-2018, 05:44 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yabi
There’s a setting on the MMI that allows you to change detection from Early (default) to Medium or Late. I deleted the middle option and most of my false alarms were eliminated.

HTH!
Yes. For 10k miles I had that set to "Off" but still got ~6 false alarms while backing up. A month or two ago I changed it to "Late" and since then I've had one false alarm while backing up and now this recent one driving forward. Unfortunately, I think this only affects the warning, not the engaging of the brakes.
Old 09-18-2018, 06:04 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveInSD
I have had the presense lock up my brakes a bunch of times but only while backing up and moving very slowly... until today. Today I was going about 40mph on a two lane road with no car ahead of me or behind me, and all of the sudden it showed me the red triangle and locked up the brakes. This is unacceptable. Really, has nobody found a way to disable this semi-permanently? OBD11? Disconnect a cable to the sensors so the car thinks the system is malfunctioning? Tape over the sensors? Software upgrade? Lawsuit? I can't believe this problem doesn't have a solution. And I can't believe Audi isn't getting shamed for this.
I think people are too forgiving of poorly functioning semi-autonomous driving systems. I assume their argument is that false positives are acceptable as long as the system reacts correctly to intended situations, though IMO, a system with too many false positives is worse than nothing at all. Will Audi cover the repair and potential medical costs for an accident caused by a Pre-Sense false positive?
Old 09-18-2018, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 163 Likes on 125 Posts

Originally Posted by InfiniteEnd
the reversing out of your driveway and surprise oncoming car one is even more startling
Yeah, I've run over a kid on a bike 3 times since I've gotten the car -- or at least I thought I did. You literally hear crunching.

I will say this though -- the neighbors across the street have some sort of Ford with a similar system -- and every time it rains, their system locks up the brakes at the end of their driveway when they back out. Every time.
Old 09-18-2018, 10:49 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
. Will Audi cover the repair and potential medical costs for an accident caused by a Pre-Sense false positive?
No, as I found out why Pre-Sense failed for me.
Old 09-18-2018, 07:11 PM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 541 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by Slides
No, as I found out why Pre-Sense failed for me.
A Pre-Sense false positive caused you to crash? Can you share any details?
Old 09-24-2018, 06:40 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 62 Likes on 40 Posts

Originally Posted by JD15
A Pre-Sense false positive caused you to crash? Can you share any details?
No. I didn't phrase that correctly. Pre-Sense didn't cause me to crash. But it sure as hell didn't help me when it could have.