S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi S4 2018 Acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 10:10 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Audi S4 2018 Acceleration

I have ordered my brand new Audi S4 Premium plus with the following options, and wanted to know if people have tested the acceleration to see if it will get 4.4 sec listed with allseason tires.
  • Nappa lethear
  • Dynamic steering
  • Sport package
I do plan to put on Pilot Sport 4S for the summer. WIll that help with the acceleration ( 0 to 60mph?) or will it still be around 4.4 sec?

Also, i didn't get the nav package and idk if i regret it, but can't make any changes since the order is frozen. I would have gotten it in hindsight but I am ok with not having it for now in case there are any aftermarket fitting.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I'm going to give 2 answers to this.

First, the S4 does a couple tenths better than the 4.4 listed/advertised. Audi is known for advertising their times conservatively and this car is no exception. Many automotive journals have tested and independently confirmed this.

Second, I don't have an exact answer to your question on how A/S tires impact things, but on a high performance AWD car like this you should expect that your 0-60 times will either be identical or at worst one or two tenths lower with A/S than with max performance summer tires, but your 5-60mph times will be absolutely identical. Simply put, this car does not spin its tires: quattro hooks them up. Outside of a circuit driving situation where you are turning laps on a racetrack rather than going stoplight to stoplight or hitting a drag strip, the biggest difference you will notice between the tire types you are talking about is in their handling/responsiveness due to factors like sidewall stiffness.

Final thoughts and something worth noting if you plan to track the car: if ordered with A/S tires, the S4's top speed will be electronically limited to 130mph instead of 155mph. This is because Audi, in their infinite wisdom, has decided to equip lesser H-rated "not-max-performance" A/S tires instead of the better Y-rated A/S tires that are available from Continental/Michelin/others on the aftermarket and which can handle those higher speeds. Sooooooo, if you want to run all seasons and also go not just from 0-60 but from 0-131+ at the drag strip, you will need to order the car with summer tires from the factory and then equip Y rated A/S tires of your choosing after taking delivery. Many forum members here have done that and there's a good thread on it if you check back a few pages/search for it.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:11 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 234 Likes on 171 Posts

Here is my S5 coupe on the standard A/S tires.

Old 03-28-2018, 11:13 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Thanks for the info.

I did read up on the electronic limit when the order is placed with A/s tires, and since i cannot change the order now, I have asked the dealership to see if they can remove it once they put on the Pilot Sport 4s summer tires.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:15 AM
Audiworld Junior Member

Originally Posted by SYMAWD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-9Umr3JrXo
Damn, looks to be 4.1 or 4.2 sec with A/s tires. That's awesome. I can't wait to drive mine.
Old 03-28-2018, 05:14 PM
AudiWorld Member

Yeah I think the answer is... this car is plenty fast enough! Lol
Old 03-28-2018, 09:09 PM
ZF8
AudiWorld Member

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Motortrend got 4.2 seconds for the 0-60 as well

Last edited by ZF8; 02-11-2019 at 01:09 AM.
Old 03-29-2018, 05:30 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by kpalakode
Damn, looks to be 4.1 or 4.2 sec with A/s tires. That's awesome. I can't wait to drive mine.
You will really love this car, I am still smiling and laughing every time I drive it and today is my 6 month anniversary having the car. I live in Northern IL with some flat and open interstate, so when traffic is super light I can play around with the acceleration. It is an amazing car!
Old 03-29-2018, 01:04 PM
AudiWorld Newcomer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by SYMAWD

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A-9Umr3JrXo
Does holding brake and accelerator pedal same time just increase the RPM until release the brake pedal or brake is trying to hold the car until release the brake pedal?
Old 03-29-2018, 03:09 PM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by S4TX24
Does holding brake and accelerator pedal same time just increase the RPM until release the brake pedal or brake is trying to hold the car until release the brake pedal?
Without a DSG transmission and a real launch program, you're just holding the car in place with the brakes until you let go. Seems like a lot of stress on the torque converter.

Quick Reply: Audi S4 2018 Acceleration