S4 (B9 Platform) Discussion Discussion forum for the B9 Audi S4 produced from 2016-

Audi S4 and S5 sales halted

Old 07-10-2017, 06:45 AM
AudiWorld Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Audi S4 and S5 sales halted

Here's something more official about it.

The bold line is interesting...moderate? Does that mean the MPG rating is going to go down for these cars?

Add in no timeline and this must be somewhat serious & now saying the A4 could be involved...this doesn't look good on the surface for Audi/VW after the diesel gate scandal.

Audi has temporarily stopped taking orders for its S4 and S5 models while it develops new engine management software that could potentially affect their fuel economy and CO2 outputs.

The two performance models are among several Audis due to get new software. A source told Autocar that the resulting effects would have to be tested by German regulators before more cars can be sold.

“Audi has decided on a stricter interpretation of tolerances of the regulations for measuring CO2 emissions applicable in the EU,” said an Audi spokesperson. “This may lead to adjusted CO2 figures for some Audi models.”

The spokesperson said the changes to the S4 and S5 were being implemented to improve “comfort and spontaneity” and “may lead to a moderate increase in fuel consumption”.

Our source said changes are also being applied to the A4 2.0 TFSI, but Audi has refrained from commenting on this. No timescale has been set for the reopening of order books for the S4 and S5.

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...oftware-tested

Last edited by Spartan-S5; 07-10-2017 at 06:56 AM.
Old 07-10-2017, 09:32 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 181 Likes on 103 Posts

This raises more question than it answers. Does it only effect EU versions of the car or will the changes be ported to US models too? Could it have anything to do with improving the "sluggishness" that you get from driving in "D" mode? I could see adding more "spontaneity" there which would also certainly hurt fuel economy somewhat.

Is this going to create a dieselgate style rebate situation for cars that are already on the road? Going to watch this one closely!
Old 07-10-2017, 09:45 AM
AudiWorld Super User

Received 41 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by Spartan-S5
Here's something more official about it.

The bold line is interesting...moderate? Does that mean the MPG rating is going to go down for these cars?

Add in no timeline and this must be somewhat serious & now saying the A4 could be involved...this doesn't look good on the surface for Audi/VW after the diesel gate scandal.

Spartan, have you ordered an new S4 (or any S)? Have you been told there will be a delay? Or, is your S4 already on its way?

Over the years, I've had the software of several of my Audis replaced -- sometimes as a part of a maintenance interval (not a recall that I am aware of anyway). Once, in 2005, I was asked if I'd allow my A6 to be updated "to see what would happen." I said yes and was provided a free tank of gas for volunteering to be a test subject. Other than my nav system working better, I really can't say I noticed much of a difference other than the "idiot screen" went away on my MMI (now THAT was an improvement).

If Audi wants me to upgrade my software, I'll do it. My wife's new SQ5 -- not yet 3-weeks old, has already informed her that she needs to upgrade her MMI software, I can't figure out if it happens automatically or what, since it said it on screen ONCE and not since then.

Perhaps Audi is reeling from the effects of dieselgate, and if so, well that is understandable. But S4's and S5's were mentioned but NOT SQ5's why would that be, they all three use the same engines, eh?

I have NOT had any issues with my S4's software that I can say with certainty I am aware of.

I just love everything -- except the stupid 3-seconds of ACC Automatic go -- about the car.
Old 07-10-2017, 10:03 AM
AudiWorld Member

Hey Mark

Was finalizing stuff in the next week (got a deal I wanted but waiting to see an A4 that is coming in with the black package in a week to see if I'm just happy with that). But from what I've heard this might be live now...have an email into the dealer about the A4/S4 order.

I do agree with you that this has something to do with dieselgate...just worries me that they misrepresented something here and when you say moderate..that's just not a minor decrease..that's a pretty good amount...I wonder if the MPG ratings are going to plummet and since we have owners on here talking about their real world MPG is nothing close to advertised in the city, maybe it has something to do with that or the shaking of the car that some have said?

Just interesting news coming out...
Old 07-10-2017, 10:09 AM
AudiWorld Senior Member

Received 79 Likes on 55 Posts

I just passed my break-in period yesterday. Free "moderate decrease" in gas mileage right there...no software update required!
Old 07-10-2017, 10:40 AM
AudiWorld Member

I ordered my S4 P+ last month and got a draft ETA of Nov-Dec, which seemed a bit longer than usual (even when factoring in the August factory shutdown), so this may be a factor causing a delay on my order...
Old 07-10-2017, 11:06 AM
AudiWorld Junior Member

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

My hope is that they are being extra careful and all that is required is a software update.
Old 07-10-2017, 11:14 AM
AudiWorld Member

In my experience, tuning can make a HUGE difference in both the drivability and power of a vehicle. I need more specific information what this tuning update is targeting specifically. If it is to reduce power and increase gas mileage, I'm not interested. If its to fix a dead spot in the powerband, I'm all for it. In my experience, you rarely if ever get a bump in "spontaneity" and fuel efficiency at the same time.
Old 07-10-2017, 12:34 PM
Audiworld Junior Member

Is this going to affect cars ordered, built, but not yet delivered in the USA?
Old 07-10-2017, 12:48 PM
AudiWorld Member

Originally Posted by pb12
Is this going to affect cars ordered, built, but not yet delivered in the USA?
Supposedly it's affecting orders now and any ordered now are saying Nov/Dec timeframe.

I'm sure once a fix is made, there will be a recall to change the software or something of that nature.

They might have to halt sales on cars on the lots possibly also but haven't heard of that yet.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Audi S4 and S5 sales halted